Author Topic: Google's Quest for World Dominance  (Read 37228 times)

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Google's Quest for World Dominance
« Reply #125 on: April 07, 2012, 05:29:26 PM »
Too bad for those people who don't wear glasses.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 07, 2012, 06:21:14 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by that, but they are supposedly working on a version that is part of your glasses, a version for people that don't wear glasses and a version for those what would prefer a contact lense.

Google's now testing its Project Glass augmented reality glasses, but it sounds like this is only the first step in its AR plans. One of the engineers on Project Glass, Babak Parviz, is an associate professor at the University of Washington who specializes in bionanotechnology and helped to create a single pixel contact lens display, which was recently tested on live animals. Obviously, a lot more than a single pixel will be needed for this technology to be useful, Google appears to have the right people in place to take augmented realty from glasses to lenses. We're years away from that being a reality, but it's something to look forward to if you think the Project Glass hardware is just a bit too obtrusive to wear on a day-to-day basis.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2012, 01:31:30 PM »
Too bad for those people who don't wear glasses.

In the future everyone wears hipster glasses.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2012, 01:55:09 PM »
But only hipsters will wear them ironically.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2012, 08:44:48 PM »
They should build this into those ridiculous shutter glasses.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 09, 2012, 12:28:33 AM »
Nothing wrong with Google. They built the most popular search engine, they have the world's best web browser (Chrome), they have the most popular smartphone OS (Android), they own the most popular user-submitted video site (Youtube). Google is indeed a dominant force in the internet industry, but that just gives them great brand-recognition.

Google Docs is better than Microsoft Office. Everything is saved online, and it's so easy to access from Google Chrome just by signing into your browser.

I tried Microsoft's SkyDrive and MS Office web apps. They're ok, but nothing beats Google's eye for simplicity and ease of use.

Now I'm kind of regretting my purchase of an iPod Touch. I like it, and I love how it syncs with iTunes, but Android is just so much more popular now, and all of Google's web apps integrate so well with it.

I should have bought a Samsung Galaxy Player (Android MP3 player that's competing with the iPod).
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 09, 2012, 12:30:26 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean by that, but they are supposedly working on a version that is part of your glasses, a version for people that don't wear glasses and a version for those what would prefer a contact lense.

Google's now testing its Project Glass augmented reality glasses, but it sounds like this is only the first step in its AR plans. One of the engineers on Project Glass, Babak Parviz, is an associate professor at the University of Washington who specializes in bionanotechnology and helped to create a single pixel contact lens display, which was recently tested on live animals. Obviously, a lot more than a single pixel will be needed for this technology to be useful, Google appears to have the right people in place to take augmented realty from glasses to lenses. We're years away from that being a reality, but it's something to look forward to if you think the Project Glass hardware is just a bit too obtrusive to wear on a day-to-day basis.

I don't get the point of animal testing for vision-related products. I oppose most forms of animal testing in general. Wouldn't a human subject be a better candidate for vision testing, since humans can provide much better feedback?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 09, 2012, 10:11:29 PM »
I think they were trying to make sure that the lenses didn't physically damage the cornea of the eye and that the animal can still move around like normal while wearing the lenses.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #133 on: April 09, 2012, 10:57:52 PM »
Also, testing products on people is REALLY expensive. You need to be absolutely sure about a product before you get to that point.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 09, 2012, 11:48:11 PM »
Yeah, rabbits & rats won't go to the press and/or try to sue you for millions of dollars if something goes horrible wrong.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #135 on: April 10, 2012, 01:12:54 AM »
But when humans participate in studies, they usually sign a waiver giving up any rights to sue in case something goes wrong (even death).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 10, 2012, 01:40:42 AM »
but that won't stop them and/or their families from going to the press and making waves or seeking compensation.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #137 on: April 10, 2012, 02:07:03 AM »
Thatis where NDAs come in (which I am seeing in more test studies now), would they want to go to the press knowing they will then get sued and likely lose?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 10, 2012, 02:16:02 AM »
but the family didn't sign it. They may want to raise awareness after watching the effects on a loved one.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #139 on: April 10, 2012, 02:53:12 AM »
You can't sign away all rights in an agreement; some things wouldn't be enforceable in court no matter what the agreement said.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 10, 2012, 06:56:48 PM »
Don't tell SONY that...
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 10, 2012, 07:24:59 PM »
That's pretty sick and honestly easily feasible as we continue to scale down electronics.

What I'm hoping for though is more than just that.

It'd be sick if we could change our eye color on the fly, the tint on your glasses or even write words or scrolling sentences on them. That's not only cool, but it could be like, "You were invited to 'X' party." When I show up there, my eye color changes to a certain hue (or a bunch of hues) and they see that I've been invited.

Also, how about it saving all that we see in order to 'recall' something we may recognize or something that is similar; like, I know I've seen that girl before...but where? *Accessing* Or even better, remembering things we had forgotten. Like "Yo I gave you that last week!" ....Searching for last encounter with 'Joe'....Found one last week...Video loading..."Here you go bro. I'll see you in a week."..."****, I guess you did".

Also, could it scan my eyes to unlock everything I see? Like I look at my phone with the glasses/contacts on and it unlocks or I look at my car and it turns on, or my house or garage and it opens.

Also, this is just for contacts, but what can it display while my eyes are closed? Can I watch a movie? Or look at a visualizer while I listen to music?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 07:28:01 PM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 22, 2013, 10:54:42 PM »
Google Glass is back, and it's (supposedly) coming this year
http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/22/4013406/i-used-google-glass-its-the-future-with-monthly-updates

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Tsrg_EQMw

I will definitely be more interested when they can bury it into a pair of sun/glasses so that it's not immediately noticeable that you are wearing it.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2013, 10:58:10 PM »
They already look fine, but there isn't a chance in hell I would pay $1,500 for it like they are charging. $100 is pretty much the max I would pay.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2013, 11:22:46 PM »
It's because these are custom made. Once they get a factory going and making these, they will undoubtedly go way down in price. $100 is way too little for this tech, though. The MetaWatch is $179 and does only a fraction of what GG does. I'd be willing to pay at least $500 for this tech.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 24, 2013, 12:11:52 PM »
Yeah...I signed up for it and if I get it, I'm calling Daniel Tosh to pay me to make a video destroying it.

black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 22, 2015, 12:54:05 PM »
Google Ink's a deal w/ Sprint and T-Mobile to become a wireless carrier.
http://www.macrumors.com/2015/01/21/google-to-become-wireless-carrier/

Google has signed deals with Sprint and T-Mobile that will allow it to sell wireless service directly to consumers, reports The Wall Street Journal, adding to a report released by The Information earlier today. The publication's sources suggest that Google's entry into the wireless service industry may be part of an effort to persuade carriers to bolster speeds and cut down on pricing. Positioning itself as a wireless carrier is also part of Google's larger effort to provide better Internet coverage across the United States.

Currently, there are four major carriers in the United States: T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon, and while T-Mobile has made efforts to shake up the wireless industry with its Un-Carrier initiatives, wireless service in the United States remains much pricier than in other countries, with subscribers getting less data for more money.

Details on how Google will offer wireless service, its cost, or when it will launch are not known, but like the rollout of its Google Fiber broadband internet service, Google-branded wireless service could launch in a limited number of cities to begin with.
Sprint, of Overland Park, Kan., is the third-largest wireless carrier, while T-Mobile, of Bellevue, Wash., ranks fourth. Under separate agreements with each carrier, Google will resell service on the Sprint and T-Mobile networks, according to people familiar with the plans. Such wholesale agreements are common, essentially allowing sellers such as Google to pitch wireless service under their own brand names.
As it will operate as an MVNO, or mobile virtual network operator, Google will not need to build out the infrastructure for its own wireless network, instead providing T-Mobile or Sprint service that's controlled by and sold through Google. Other well-known MVNO's include Boost Mobile, FreedomPop, and Straight Talk.

This should be interesting.

Google to offer $40 unlimited everything in the near future?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 01:15:50 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2015, 03:55:56 PM »
So the Google's founders really did sell their souls to the devil.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 25, 2015, 04:58:28 PM »
Google bump up FREE storage for Google Plaay Music up to 50,000 songs!!!
http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2015/02/store-your-music-online-and-listen.html

You’ve joined the streaming revolution, but still have that MP3 player you take to the gym. It has your pump-up playlist, all of the Phish live concerts, and the brand new recordings from your friend’s band. Keep things simple by using Google Play Music, which gives you subscription access to 30 million songs on any device and also offers you a place to store the music collection you already own, for free.

Today we are expanding the music storage limit on Google Play. Now you can store 50,000 songs for free and stream or download them them to your phone, tablet, computer or Chromecast.

I think it's time to go load all those old CD's onto my computer and update my library.
I need to get an AUX port in my car for music streamed from my phone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 26, 2015, 09:13:52 AM »
The beginning of the end is near...
Google has self learning AI
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/feb/25/google-develops-computer-program-capable-of-learning-tasks-independently

Age of Google is upon us!?