Author Topic: Google's Quest for World Dominance  (Read 37225 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Google's Quest for World Dominance
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2011, 05:32:25 PM »
Calendars integration seems like an no brainer.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »
Youtube Live

Thank God for Youtube Live. It allowed be to watch every single Copa America game without having to go out to the bars. It also has live concerts on there like the upcoming Jane's Addiction today at 9. I hope they keep expanding it.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 15, 2011, 01:28:22 PM »
Google buys Motorola Mobility
(this is brought up in the Verizon Thread, but this goes beyond just phones & mobile patents)

Quote from: Reddit
What most people don't realize is that besides the cell phone division, Mobility also controls the cable television and set top division. That means Google could potentially move into the cable television or IPTV market a lot harder now. 60% of the cable and fiber television business is run off of Motorola equipment. This is much larger than just cell phones.
Disclosure: I work for Mobility's Cable Division.
Edit: We know they really bought us for the Cell phone division. We have no idea what to expect on our side. Lots of speculation and no information.
Edit 2: This article will tell you more and speculates about the set top and cable stuff.
reddit

GoogleTV integrated into my Comcast?

How does GoogleTV even work?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2011, 01:34:39 PM »
Google TV basically lets you browse the Internet on your TV and access content like Netflix. I am not sure Comcast would jump on board right now, so far only Dish Network has embraced Google TV.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 01:44:52 PM by TJ Spyke »
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2011, 02:01:09 PM »
A lot of Comcast cable boxes are Motorola, so embracing GoogleTV seems sort of inevitable if Google supplies a majority of boxes.

And even though Google is mostly running Moto Mobile as a separate company, I still think all of Google's Tech will be integrated into whatever hardware Mobility continues to manufacture.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2011, 02:04:22 PM »
I honestly don't care either way since I don't have Comcast (I have Dish Network), nor does Google TV interest me enough to pay for it. If I could get it for free, I might get it.

I think Google would love to have more people get access to it, but Comcast has to be convinced that it would be beneficial to them to support it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2011, 02:11:55 PM »
One more reason for people to not goto AT&T or just drop cable all together should be enough.

Google would likely throw it in for free as part of the boxes software package. It will also give Cable providers another incentive for customer to use a company provided DVR/box vs using their own personal TiVO.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2011, 12:11:22 AM »
Just a little surprise from Google

Go to www.google.com

and then search for:

Do a barrel roll

&

Tilt

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2011, 02:44:06 PM »
Tilt works, but it won't do a barrel roll for me.  Did they take it down already?

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2011, 02:45:50 PM »
Your browser has to support it, so stuff like old IE won't do.

Askew also works... it's like tilt, but ever so slightly less so.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2011, 03:01:43 PM »
Like I'd use IE.  I'm using Firefox 3.6.23.  Do I have to finally make the jump to version 4 for this?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2011, 03:05:19 PM »
Firefox is on version 7 now....

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2011, 03:17:10 PM »
Looks like they started increasing the major version number for minor updates in the middle of the year.  I don't get why they'd want to do that, but whatever.  Version 4 came out earlier this year, and I hated its interface, so I held off.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2011, 03:23:55 PM »
Looks like they started increasing the major version number for minor updates in the middle of the year.  I don't get why they'd want to do that, but whatever.  Version 4 came out earlier this year, and I hated its interface, so I held off.
IE9
Seriously enough I'm pretty sure that was the reason.  They didn't want to seem as young as Chrome when they were as old as IE.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2011, 01:05:22 PM »
I like Firefox 4, pretty good. I haven't upgraded more though (it's on 7.0.1 now) because my two favorite extensions are not supported by Firefox 5 and later: Google Toolbar and Freecorder.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2011, 12:45:52 PM »
http://venturebeat.com/2011/12/08/google-nabs-square-enix-and-other-game-developers-to-do-native-chrome-games/
Google announced today that its three-year effort to create a muscular browser technology that can run heavy duty apps such as console-like games is now ready for prime time.

Google has provided the platform to allow games to run in the Chrome browser and make use of the computers 3D graphics hardware. That makes it possible to run games with high-end console-like graphics in a web browser.
[...]
Google said it would be easy to port existing PC and console games to the Chrome native client, partly because developers can use a varity of familiar programming tools. The Unity 3D game engine will now include a check box that a developer can click in order to make a Unity-based game run on the Chrome browser. That’s pretty darn simple. It means developers don’t have to waste a lot of time rewriting games and other apps for the web, only to see them crawl in slow motion. Besides games, photo and video apps will also benefit from the native client technology.

I don't game in my browser... yet, but this might make it a lot more tempting to just fire up a game and play considering I won't have to load up another program....

I wonder if I'll be able to game in a tab, and then switch to NWR in a different tab and switch back and forth like it was just 2 different web pages?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2012, 12:34:18 PM »
The future is here.

Google starts testing Augmented Reality Glasses
http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/4/2925237/googles-project-glass-augmented-reality-glasses-begin-testing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c6W4CCU9M4

The future is gonna be one crazy place. Finally Google+(Facebook) will have purpose in my life.

Imagine being able to do facial recognition (or the glasses could talk wirelessly) of people you run across so that you will instantly know their name, last place you saw them and when.
You can plan meetings and do location sharing so that you know where each other are and can  find each other easily.
Never get lost again.
Discretely take photos of people/things without having to pull out a camera.

On the downside though.
People walking around talking to themselves is annoying enough with just an  bluetooth earpiece. Imagine them now darting their heads around for viewpoints at the same time. Car accidents, walking accidents and all kinds of accidents are bound to happen because people are too easily distracted and think they can multi-task at the same time.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2012, 12:39:23 PM »
That last paragraph is why I have concern about this, you have idiots talking on cell phones in their cars (even in states where it is banned), so you know there would be idiots using these glass while driving.

I wouldn't mind being able to take some...discrete... pictures without others knowing. LOL. Oh, and I suppose being able to find someone's name when I can't remember it would be nice too. LOL

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2012, 12:56:57 PM »
Just picture seeing some hot chick across the room.

you tell your glasses to pull up her G+/fb page. where you start reading up on her before you even meet her. You find out her name, her status, some of her likes and dislikes and prep yourself to make a move.

but what you didn't know was that her glasses alerted her that you were checking out her G+/fb page and prompted her to see your page and then even pointed out where in the room you were.

Could be interesting in good and bad ways.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 07, 2012, 01:13:06 PM »
They are god ugly even for prototypes. It didn't get my eyes lasered just to put on glasses again. Talk to me again when we have something cool like Joanna Dark's much cooler and less intrusive AR monocle with built in ad blocker.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 07, 2012, 01:21:46 PM »
Oh god!! I didn't even think of all the Ads that would be built into this thing.

Walk past a Coke ad and a small video pops up and starts playing, "Enjoy Coke"

but something hilarious I just thought of, assuming people can write their own apps for the device. Some facial recognition software (or some sort of account link) would reveal people on the street for who they are on certain websites such as Adult Friend Finder, and it would look like you are walking in a real life version of The Sims

see a innocent looking and mildly attractive brunette sitting at the coffee shop, a bubble pops up saying "SupaFreakNasty69 @ Adult Friend Finder - [see profile]"

so much fun to be had.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 07, 2012, 01:27:01 PM »
There is an episode of How I Met Your Mother that dealt with that using Modern Technology. It ruined dating by leaving not to explore and reveling how ungodly shallow(More so) relationships would become.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 07, 2012, 01:28:38 PM »
do you remember the episode name? or number?

HIMYM is on Netflix, so I might be able to check it out.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 07, 2012, 01:33:04 PM »
Episode: 7.6 Mystery vs. History.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 07, 2012, 01:37:48 PM »
:( that's from the new season. Not up on Netflix yet. I'll find and watch it later.