Poll

Which game should be played and discussed on RFN for the next RetroActive?

StarTropics (NES)
7 (11.1%)
Bonk's Revenge (TG-16)
6 (9.5%)
Comix Zone (GEN)
4 (6.3%)
Super Mario RPG (SNES)
29 (46%)
ActRaiser (SNES)
17 (27%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: January 27, 2010, 01:27:47 PM

Author Topic: RetroActive #11 Poll -- Second Chance Edition  (Read 17490 times)

Offline DmentD

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: RetroActive #11 Poll -- Second Chance Edition
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2010, 04:18:13 PM »
Since I barely remember ever playing Bonk, and since they are releasing a new Bonk game for Wiiware, I voted for Bonk's Revenge. 
keep on keepin' on!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2010, 02:16:03 PM »
Okay, Super Mario RPG is the winner! (Not my first choice, but I abstained from voting and tried to avoid influencing the vote.)
 I'll start a thread for the game in this section, so please concentrate your comments on it there.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2010, 02:18:14 PM »
Out of curiosity, what was your first choice?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2010, 02:14:33 AM »
I love SMRPG, ActRaiser, and StarTropics (and have already downloaded all three on VC). I have played Comix Zone and do not like it. So, my first choice would be Bonk's Revenge, because it would be new to me, and because I liked the GameCube remake of the first one, and because Bonk is about to become relevant again with the WiiWare game.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2010, 01:57:07 PM »
Super Mario RPG, huh? Why is it anything with "Mario" in the title always gets the popular vote? I think Nintendo may be on to something here. Someone should tell them. Maybe they'll make Mario their official mascot or something. like Mickey Mouse! Everyone loves Mickey Mouse, right?

Anyway, here we go with SMRPG.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2010, 02:20:12 AM »
Okay, Super Mario RPG is the winner! (Not my first choice, but I abstained from voting and tried to avoid influencing the vote.)
 I'll start a thread for the game in this section, so please concentrate your comments on it there.

When are you going to post the topic for Super Mario RPG?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2010, 09:30:57 AM »
I downloaded and started playing last night. Good game so far.

I have things to say. Where's our thread?
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2010, 12:39:30 PM »
Thread is coming up right now. By the way, I talked this over with the RFN guys last night, and we are going to try to avoid putting mega-hits like Mario on future polls. I didn't have much choice this time, since the nominees were pre-selected. From here on, I want to have games in the poll that find a balance between not being too obscure (we want something people will actually play) and yet be less obvious and well known than a Mario game, of which SMRPG is our second so far.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2010, 03:05:25 PM »
Super Mario RPG, huh? Why is it anything with "Mario" in the title always gets the popular vote? I think Nintendo may be on to something here. Someone should tell them. Maybe they'll make Mario their official mascot or something. like Mickey Mouse! Everyone loves Mickey Mouse, right?

Great thinking! While it's unlikely that the Mario Craze will last long, you've got to capitalize on your IPs while you can! He'll never be as cool as Sonic, who captured over a third of the top 20 NPD slots recently, but maybe he can become a cult hit?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2010, 03:08:01 PM »
Thread is coming up right now. By the way, I talked this over with the RFN guys last night, and we are going to try to avoid putting mega-hits like Mario on future polls. I didn't have much choice this time, since the nominees were pre-selected. From here on, I want to have games in the poll that find a balance between not being too obscure (we want something people will actually play) and yet be less obvious and well known than a Mario game, of which SMRPG is our second so far.

I appreciate that, Jonny. Though I suppose we could do a 'Mario' themed poll down the road and that could level the playing field a good deal.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2010, 10:05:42 AM »

This is an excellent idea. I support it (even though I have never played Super Mario RPG and may not have but for this RetroActive. At least you've got one newbie for this round.)

And thanks for putting up the thread. I should get a-posting soon.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2010, 10:14:39 AM »
Heh, looks like the N64 pickings just got a hell of a lot better.   ;D
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2010, 11:16:54 AM »
It also opens up a whole world of possibilities because this is the first 3rd party title to be released for the N64 VC. Here's hoping they really are opening it up.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2010, 08:51:39 PM »
The game was published by Nintendo in Japan, so it isn't wholly a third-party game. I'd imagine that this is the only reason the game is on the service, and otherwise it wouldn't be there. There still are no 100% third-party Nintendo 64 games on the service.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2010, 04:39:47 AM »
But it gives hope. Especially if Square is impressed with the sales of the VC version and support it with more stuff.
My Game Collection