Author Topic: Goldeneye:RA DS  (Read 3153 times)

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
Goldeneye:RA DS
« on: June 13, 2005, 06:39:53 AM »
Why are there no reviews of this game yet? Is it THAT bad? Anyone with it, care to give some impressions?
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline ABlueflameA

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Goldeneye:RA DS
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 07:58:51 AM »
I played it for a few seconds at E3, graphics were sort of bleh.  It really didn't offer a lot to hold my attention.  Then again, maybe if I had tried it from the beginning and actually spent some time with it, who knows.  I heard that there were some issues with them not offering different control types or something like that.  There's gotta be a review of it somewhere, I'll look around.

-Blueflame
Yea! Ramen!

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 08:20:06 AM »
Thanks.

I've looked around (IGN, GameSpot & GameRankings) and none have reviews, not even one. That's just suspicious, it's the first FPS for the DS (other than the Hunter Demo), EA should be yelling "BUY MY GAME!!!".
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline ABlueflameA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 08:28:48 AM »
I just checked over at 1up.com and apparently they have a preview done from the full version of the game.  They said that controls are now fully map-able, including touch screen use, but that they played through over 40% of the game in something like 2 hours.  So we've moved from possible control problems to a short single player game.

The shining beacon though is that apparently it supports single cart play, and is 2-8 players.  It also supports multi-cart play and I dont know what the difference is between the two as far as levels, characters, options, etc.. go.  

I haven't seen any actual reviews out, but give it a few days and at least we should get some reader reviews if nothing more "professional".

Btw, as a sidenote Kirby:CC has gotten really great reviews, generally 9/10's

-Blueflame
Yea! Ramen!

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 08:46:05 AM »
Thanks!

I've actually never owned a Kirby game (so I'm not a fan), this might be the first one.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Goldeneye:RA DS
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 08:53:48 AM »
I thought it was a rule of thumb that "FPS = short game".
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 12:27:22 PM »
yeah, half-life only takes a few minutes to beat.

Offline ABlueflameA

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 05:19:25 PM »
IGN DS just updated with a review of Goldeneye: RA, in summation they said that it was sloppy and gave it a 6.5/10

http://ds.ign.com/articles/624/624723p1.html

Thats the address if you want to read it.  Have fun.  Wait for Metroid for a FPS, get Kirby for action/adventure and Meteos for Puzzle/Action.

-Blueflame
Yea! Ramen!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 08:42:55 AM »
I definately want to play this, I don't care for the reviews, I heard a lot of people say it was fun when they played it at E3 or somewhere else, and it looks decent in the videos i've watched, except the guns seem to be completely stiff and it looks a bit odd.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 08:58:22 PM »
I might just give it a shot too - reviews really don't tell the whole story, and the single cart multiplayer is enticing
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2005, 05:28:22 AM »
Quick impressions:

The game is fun.  Gamespy's review is pretty dead-on: it's not great, but if you go in with the right expectations you'll have a good time.  It's very linear, and the sound is terrible, but some of the weapons are a lot of fun (the Mag-rail in particular), the pacing is quick, it controls well and the graphics are pretty good.

It sort of reminds me of the first Turok: mediocre FPS in retrospect, but it was the only thing around at the time, and was the first game to introduce free-look on a console.  Goldeneye is the only thing right now, and is the first full game to use freelook on a handheld.

If you're looking for something other than puzzle games and platformers, Goldeneye seems to be a pretty fun diversion.

One note: don't get too hyped about single-cart multiplayer: it only has 1 mode and 1 level available for it.  Everything else is multi-cart.