Author Topic: Should Nintendo Buy SEGA?  (Read 23471 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Re: Should Nintendo Buy SEGA?
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2012, 07:25:45 PM »
Always assumed that Microsoft would buy Sega after last gennor at least had some interest before the Rare deal went bad.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to let Sega did and just pick of the IP and studios

And even if someone outright bought the studio wouldn't the company be sued if the newly purchased Sega went exclusive only.  That and it would be boiled down to justa few studios.

Sonic Team
Yakuza Studio combined with NE RD department
All of the WM software teams combined
All the Sega sports teams combined
Creative assembly

Sega Sports doesn't exist anymore. The "2K" brand was sold to Take Two.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2012, 07:33:54 PM »
Franchises aren't worth anything if you don't have the manpower to develop games in them. I'm skeptical of this whole "buying IP" thing because as it stands Nintendo is having a ton of trouble supporting the IPs they already have.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2012, 07:37:06 PM »
Franchises aren't worth anything if you don't have the manpower to develop games in them. I'm skeptical of this whole "buying IP" thing because as it stands Nintendo is having a ton of trouble supporting the IPs they already have.

If Nintendo buys the Sonic franchise, they might as well buy Sonic Team too. And where did this whole rumor come from? No one is buying SEGA because they aren't for sale. SEGA isn't auctioning any of their IP's.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2012, 07:44:17 PM »

If Nintendo buys the Sonic franchise, they might as well buy Sonic Team too. And where did this whole rumor come from? No one is buying SEGA because they aren't for sale. SEGA isn't auctioning any of their IP's.
Kytim wants it to happen, so he starts threads pertaining to that.  This is all hypothetical.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2012, 08:07:06 PM »

I agree. Nintendo needs more studios and more talent than it needs more franchises. Owning all the franchises in the world and not being able to do anything with them is the equivalent of starving to death on a mountain made out of solid gold.
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2012, 12:53:53 AM »

I agree. Nintendo needs more studios and more talent than it needs more franchises. Owning all the franchises in the world and not being able to do anything with them is the equivalent of starving to death on a mountain made out of solid gold.

thats what sega is doing. However, I still think Nintendo are more competent hands than Sega. key word Compete.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2012, 01:43:54 AM »
It would be cool if Sega and Nintendo teamed up, because then they could show these young whimper-snappers (Microsoft and Sony) how things are done Old School. It would be like the Expendables movie with Arnold and Stallone taking on the new blood.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2012, 03:48:59 AM »
It would be cool if Sega and Nintendo teamed up, because then they could show these young whimper-snappers (Microsoft and Sony) how things are done Old School. It would be like the Expendables movie with Arnold and Stallone taking on the new blood.

I just had a quick idea for my next forum thread topic...
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2012, 04:08:18 AM »
I hope you're happy, Chozo.

Anyway, say what you want about the "talent" at Sega, but man power is a great resource. Nintendo has talent. All you need is a good IP, a talented director, and skilled programmers. There's probably a million little things I'm not thinking of, but I don't make video games. Sega's IPs under Nintendo's direction can't be anything short of pretty damn good. (Trying to be realistic)
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2012, 12:04:10 PM »
Nintendo should just headhunt current and ex Sega talent. Drag Yu Suzuki out of Sega's basement and make a spiritual sequel to Shenmue. Buy out Prope and make it a first party developer, from the few trailers they released Rodeo had potential. Instead of Nintendo buying publishers outright they should just do what they have done in the past, ND Cube is basically home to ex Hudson employees. Brownie Brown is made up of ex Square employees. I'm pretty sure Nintendo headhunted some Capcom developers after they worked on the Gameboy Zelda games.

Hell this strategy could apply to other Japanese developers. Igarashi is in a similar position as Suzuki at the moment. Get him to make a 2D Metroid game.

In my opinion this is a much better and a more Nintendo like approach of poaching talent.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2012, 12:15:19 PM »
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Hell No.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2012, 04:54:41 PM »
Better than buying Sega: Buying Atlus and Natsume.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2012, 08:24:46 PM »
Better than buying Sega: Buying Atlus and Natsume.

I really wouldn't care if they bought Natsume, but I don't want Nintendo ever touching Atlus.  Atlus has such a unique style and makes games so unlike what Nintendo makes that I fear Nintendo would drain all the energy and creativity out of them.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2012, 08:39:13 PM »
Well, then Tecmo-Koei-ing them then, &P.

Honestly, the whole reason I said both Atlus and Natsume is that they serve vastly different segments of the market. I like to imagine that Harvest Moon secretly has an unsung following of gamers who will follow that franchise to wherever.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2012, 08:50:58 PM »
I really wouldn't care if they bought Natsume, but I don't want Nintendo ever touching Atlus.  Atlus has such a unique style and makes games so unlike what Nintendo makes that I fear Nintendo would drain all the energy and creativity out of them.

Yeah because Nintendo totally drained all the creative energy out of Monolith Soft after they bought them as well. ::)
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2012, 09:11:15 PM »

Yeah because Nintendo totally drained all the creative energy out of Monolith Soft after they bought them as well. ::)

I'm pretty sure Brood doesn't genuinely believe that. He just doesn't want Nintendo buying Atlus because then he wouldn't be able to play Atlus games on his PS3 and Vita anymore because they would be Nintendo exclusives from that point on.
is your sanity...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2012, 09:13:27 PM »
He just doesn't want Nintendo buying Atlus because then he wouldn't be able to play Atlus games on his PS3 and Vita anymore because they would be Nintendo exclusives from that point on.

That's...sort of the idea isn't it? @_@

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2012, 10:07:45 PM »
++

I'm pretty sure Brood doesn't genuinely believe that. He just doesn't want Nintendo buying Atlus because then he wouldn't be able to play Atlus games on his PS3 and Vita anymore because they would be Nintendo exclusives from that point on.

Monolith Soft is pretty much the only example you could pull.  I don't care where I can play Atlus games.  I have Devil Survivor Overclocked on my 3DS; quite a few Atlus PSP RPGs on my Vita; and Persona 3 FES on my PS3 (and I used to own Catherine as well).  You may have forgotten that I OWN ALL THE CONSOLES AND BOTH MODERN HANDHELDS.  I don't have a stake in the exclusivity.

However, I firmly believe that Atlus makes the games that they do because they are independent.  They make risky ventures that may or may not pay off, but because of the kind of company they are they know how to make them successes with niche audiences.  Nintendo, on the other hand, is a massive company that (with very few exceptions) thrives off exploiting the Safe, largely new iterations of ancient franchises.  These two philosophies are not compatible with each other.  You'd NEVER see Nintendo release a game like Catherine, and I doubt they'd be too thrilled tarnishing their family-friendly image with occult series like Persona or Shin Megami Tensei (yes, I know they're technically the same franchise, but at this point they're practically different brands.  And let's see what they do with Fatal Frame, which is much less extreme than MegaTen).  And even if they did, I doubt NoA would release them here (see Zengeki no Reginleiv and Pandora's Tower).

I like Atlus where they are and doing what they do: making games that few others companies in the world would make for whatever platforms they want, with whatever subject matter they want and for whatever audience they please.  Nintendo is a micro-managing company that sends in the likes of Miyamoto to reshape/destroy projects they don't like to fit their needs.  Sometimes we get a Metroid Prime out of that, and sometimes we get Star Fox Adventures.  I think I'll take Atlus as it is, thanks.

Addendum: Now, if Nintendo wanted to pay Atlus for Wii U / 3DS exclusivity over X number of titles, I'd be fine with that.  Nintendo gets exclusive hardcore titles and Atlus gets lots of money to make interesting games.  It's a Win-Win for everyone, and Atlus gets to maintain control over their games.  I just don't want to see Nintendo owning Atlus and having control over what games they get to make.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 11:12:07 PM by broodwars »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2012, 12:01:23 AM »
Brood, I know you own all the consoles. I just thought you might PREFER to have the games on Sony hardware because of the trophies. ;)
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2012, 12:11:02 AM »
Brood, I know you own all the consoles. I just thought you might PREFER to have the games on Sony hardware because of the trophies. ;)

Clearly you haven't seen Atlus' trophy lists for Catherine and Persona 4 Arena.  They're among the more sadistically hard/tedious lists on the PS3, far beyond what even I will put up with for a good hunt.  No, trophies have nothing to do with my wanting Atlus to remain independent.   ;)

Incidentally, I find the lack of Valkyria Chronicles love in this thread disturbing, especially given how much love there is for Shenmue here.   :P: :

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2012, 01:15:09 AM »
I have always wanted to see a Fire Emblem that plays either like Final Fantasy Tactics, or Valkyria Chronicles. Perhaps the developer that made Valkyria Chronicles and Intelligent Systems could co-develope the game for the Wii U?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Tamazoid

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2012, 03:52:24 AM »
A better idea is that Nintendo get Headstrong back to make the medieval version of battalion wars they were making before Nintendo canned it.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2012, 04:26:21 AM »
Can this be Broodywars new title "I OWN ALL THE CONSOLES AND BOTH MODERN HANDHELDS."?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2012, 06:28:40 AM »
A better idea is that Nintendo get Headstrong back to make the medieval version of battalion wars they were making before Nintendo canned it.

If Nintendo canned it I don't think I want them to be back making it again. They don't usually go around canceling things for no reason. Except Penant Chase Baseball.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Tamazoid

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2012, 09:42:57 AM »
Nintendo canned it during the years they decided to refocus to casual titles. Besides I doubt Battalion Wars 2 sold decently.

Regardless some of the assets look interesting [size=78%]http://www.unseen64.net/2011/06/14/knight-wars-wii-cancelled/[/size]
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 10:04:39 AM by Tamazoid »
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle