Author Topic: Is it possible with 3D gaming on a smartphone?  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Tobbebobbe

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Is it possible with 3D gaming on a smartphone?
« on: January 26, 2011, 09:17:12 AM »
As everyone know, there will be new smartphones released later this year with the same kind of 3D technology as the 3DS. 3D without glasses.

However, I still don't understand how it's possible to play 3D games on a smartphone which only have touch screen controls. Your fingers will mix with the graphics! I mean, it could work but it would look REALLY weird and awkward.

Have I missed something? 3D screens on smartphones would be used for movies and photos, but games? I can't imagine it.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Is it possible with 3D gaming on a smartphone?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 05:38:39 PM »
Anything with a physical key board would work. The problem is gonna b come when you have smudges all over the screen that ruin the effect.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 05:59:36 PM »
It is totally possible to play videogames with substandard control options.  It just isn't possible to play them well.

But not everyone cares so "it would be awkward" or "it wouldn't really work" don't necessarily matter.  It certainly doesn't mean that some company won't try to release such a product.

Besides if you use the touchscreen to select MP3s and do all the other smart phone functions the same issue with the fingers mixing with the graphics would logically exist.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 06:58:42 PM »
The biggest problem would be the phone's impressive battery life of one half of ten minutes.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 08:39:38 PM »
I see a 3d touchscreen as potentially a big problem.  I think there is a reason Nintendo decided to only make the top screen 3d.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 11:11:44 AM »
I see it happening, probably in two iPhone/iPod iterations from Apple depending on the success of the 3DS.  3D video would look great even if games don't, and even so many games simply use virtual buttons that float above the screen.  With 3D enabled they would just...float more.  I don't see it being a problem....heck, I don't see it being a problem even for game that DON'T use the virtual button method, as long as the user-controlled images are on the topmost "layer" of depth.  It might be weird at first, but not insurmountable.

In any case, if 3D movies continue to be popular I can definitely see Apple wanting to sell them on iTunes, which would require some sort of device to play them.  They won't let Nintendo have exclusive control over glasses-free 3D movies if that turns out to be something consumers want.  And if it isn't, Apple will MAKE it something consumers want because somehow they know how to do that.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 11:01:16 PM »
In Japan there are already Android phones in development with 3D screens so it's happening much sooner than you'd expect it. But it would be much more viable to view 3D movies rather than playing 3D games since a finger on the screen would break the 3D effect.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 08:55:56 PM »
Yeah, I don't see phones with 3D screens encroaching on the 3DS's game software for the fact that you have no real keys to input control.  Virtual pads and buttons will immediately break the 3D when you place your thumbs right on them and tilting the device (unless it is only done along the axis of the parallax borders) will break the 3D as well.

The only thing that 3D will enhance in phones are the interface (especially apps that take advantage of it), videos, and viewing 3D pictures.  Unless the phone itself has a dedicated keypad or newer glassless 3D technology that allows for an incredible amount of twisting and tilting of the viewing angle without breaking 3D is developed, the 3DS will have very little competition when it comes to actual "fun" and non-headache inducing 3D games.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 04:58:25 PM »
Xperia Play 3D

If 3DS is a success and other 3D phones see decent sales, I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen late 2012 to further separate SEX Play 3D from NGP.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 07:41:33 PM »
What's the point of 3D on a phone other than to be cool? Watching videos can be entertaining, but movies? Who wants to waste the battery life?

I don't see the practicality of this. I see the marketability, especially since phones are becoming like desktop computers. But usefulness? I just don't see it.

3D in games, yes sure, it makes sense (especially if Nintendo says so). But on a phone? Maybe I'm not clever enough at this point, but what apps would you make with 3D in your tool set other than an eye examination?
black fairy tales are better at sports