Author Topic: Blast Corps 3DS - A Day Dreaming Post - Seconded?  (Read 8206 times)

Offline EJtheK

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Blast Corps 3DS - A Day Dreaming Post - Seconded?
« on: July 10, 2012, 11:25:01 AM »
While sitting at work, I had a day dream about Blast Corps for 3DS (remake or follow-up ... it doesn't really matter, does it?).  :cool;

This game is so well-suited for the 3D effect, and I would give so much (particularly $39.99) to play this game concept again.  Street Passing high scores, etc. would be another delight.   ;D

I know the rights probably belong to Rare ( :'( ), but I can't help but dream.

Does anyone second this wish of mine?

Your fellow day-dreamer,
EJtheK
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 02:03:08 PM by EJtheK »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Blast Corps 3DS - A Day Dreaming Post - Seconded?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 12:03:12 PM »
I would like it for Wii U.

Especially with the awesome idea of flicking out the Gamepad to do the dump truck slide.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline EJtheK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 02:04:29 PM »
I would like it for Wii U.

Especially with the awesome idea of flicking out the Gamepad to do the dump truck slide.

Agreed!  Good thinking.  :D

But, man, do I ever wish I could carry around a true 3D version of this game in my pocket...  :-\

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 03:15:09 PM »
Seconded for 3DS. You're right, 3D effects do make a lot of sense for this game!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 10:04:34 PM »
Hmmm...who owns the rights?  If it is Rare, then why haven't they made a sequel yet?  I think people know fans would be interested.

Something tells me it might be a weird Nintendo and Rare both own the rights sorta thing...or it is just Nintendo's and they don't want to do another one. 

I liked the game...but sometimes the controls were sluggish and off.  I would like an update...but I think another team could do it. 

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 10:16:52 PM »
If Nintendo does own the rights, they really should farm out the project to one of those external third-parties they like to work with so much.

Offline EJtheK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 02:16:32 PM »

Something tells me it might be a weird Nintendo and Rare both own the rights sorta thing...or it is just Nintendo's and they don't want to do another one. 

That very well could be the case.

However, given that Nintendo didn't jointly hold Banjo Kazooie rights (sadness, BTW), the more I think about this, the more I worry Rare has it all.

The idea can't be all that unique though.  Leveraging the basic concepts and renaming it can't step on too many toes...

If Nintendo does own the rights, they really should farm out the project to one of those external third-parties they like to work with so much.

Agreed!  It'd be excellent, and there are lots of worthy developers that could pull it off.  Also, thanks for seconding the opinion that 3D effects would be perfect for this, Kairon!  Good stuff...

Ah well.  It's fun to wish...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 02:18:51 PM »
Rare technically published the Banjo games themselves. Nintendo just marketed it for them. Nintendo did actually publish Blast Corps. though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 03:21:25 PM »
The idea can't be all that unique though.  Leveraging the basic concepts and renaming it can't step on too many toes...

Actually, put it like that, why hasn't there been a Blast Corps. clone PERIOD? Some smaller independent third-party really should grab those game mechanics and build a title around it, they'd already have a built-in audience from all us Nintendo die-hards who got it on the N64.

Frankly, I don't understand why more companies don't just try to clone Nintendo franchises and release those clones on Nintendo systems before the Nintendo examples come out, like Sega is doing on the Wii U with Sonic All-Stars Racing coming out at launch grabbing the Mario Kart crowd before Mario Kart Wii U even appears.

Offline iDraTion

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 05:07:01 PM »
Well, there's a kind of sort of not-really related clone called demolition inc. for pc.  It's not really a clone but the basic idea is just to blow **** up in clever ways, which I'd love to see a game of right now.  Just a game with a collection of levels that introduce different mechanics for blowing things up.  It'd be pretty fun, especially as a mobile game where you'd pick it up for short play sessions, blow up a couple cities or one city a couple different ways, I think it would work well.

Offline EJtheK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 05:12:29 PM »
Rare technically published the Banjo games themselves. Nintendo just marketed it for them. Nintendo did actually publish Blast Corps. though.

Wow.  I did not actually realize that.  That's good information to know.

Actually, put it like that, why hasn't there been a Blast Corps. clone PERIOD? Some smaller independent third-party really should grab those game mechanics and build a title around it, they'd already have a built-in audience from all us Nintendo die-hards who got it on the N64.

That's a really great point.  I don't know why.  In fact, I looked into that a bit wondering if there were some games that slipped through the cracks.

Indeed, there's nothing quite like Blast Corps.  However, I did dig up these:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/92100/

and this:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/98600/

Neither of those are quite like Blast Corps, but given the current conversation and my recent day-dream, I am actually intrigued.

No straight-up clones that I can find though.

Offline EJtheK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 05:13:55 PM »
Well, there's a kind of sort of not-really related clone called demolition inc. for pc.  It's not really a clone but the basic idea is just to blow **** up in clever ways, which I'd love to see a game of right now.  Just a game with a collection of levels that introduce different mechanics for blowing things up.  It'd be pretty fun, especially as a mobile game where you'd pick it up for short play sessions, blow up a couple cities or one city a couple different ways, I think it would work well.

Yep.  Demolition Inc.  Cool stuff.  And check out the other one from my other post called DETOUR (http://store.steampowered.com/app/92100/)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 05:21:37 PM »
Maybe there's room for an "Excite ___" version of Blast Corps... "Excite Demolition!" or something...

Offline EJtheK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 11:49:11 AM »
Maybe there's room for an "Excite ___" version of Blast Corps... "Excite Demolition!" or something...

I like you're thinking.  The next Operation Rainfall?   :P: :

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 10:57:29 AM »
I will definitely endorse a Blast Corps on 3DS
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline Art_de_Cat

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • Art_de_Cat's Deviant Art page
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 01:25:24 PM »
I would love a new blast corps game, but could they get rid of the dump truck? Worst....vehicle....in the game.......or at least rework it handle better for smashing things.  Could never get the last gold medal I needed to explore........well I won't spoil that surprise for those who don't know about it. :D
They say that there is no medicine that can cure a fool......
I guess that's true.....

Offline EJtheK

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 03:34:31 PM »
I would love a new blast corps game, but could they get rid of the dump truck? Worst....vehicle....in the game.......or at least rework it handle better for smashing things.  Could never get the last gold medal I needed to explore........well I won't spoil that surprise for those who don't know about it. :D

LOL!  Excellent memories of frustration...  ;D

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 04:05:49 PM »
I want to KILL that dump truck... but I also feel it sort of wouldn't be Blast Corps. without it ^_^

Offline neptunepirate

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 05:50:41 PM »
Blast Corps 3D?! That would end me. I can't believe this is just now being brought up. This needs to happen.
Leon has a flashlight on his belt.
I tried to bring sexy back, but I forgot the receipt.
http://www.heroesofruin.com/profile/NeptunePirate

Offline negative_zero

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Negative World
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 02:12:29 AM »
I actually bought the original just a couple of years ago.  I had remembered playing it a bit way back in the days and decided to finally, 10+ years later, get my own copy.  It's a really fun game and I think it is still very playable.  They just don't make games like this (on a conceptual level) anymore.
Want to let loose your creative side in a Nintendo-related fashion?  Do you like getting involved?  | http://www.negativeworld.org

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 09:25:02 AM »
Blast Corps was an interesting game.  When it worked it was awesome fun, and one of the best hybrid racing, driving games around.  However, when it didn't work it was a frustrating mess.  Some of the vehicles were just not enjoyable to play as, and some of the levels were truly ruthless and unforgiving.  I liked the game quite a bit, but the bonuses at the end of the game, were some of the best rewards a game ever had, and I bet several people never saw those levels. 

I really hate levels and secrets like that in games...locked away from most gamers ever to see them.