Author Topic: Mario Galaxy 2 Announced  (Read 12885 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Galaxy 2 Announced
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2009, 08:25:48 PM »
If you actually saw the trailer, there are a lot of things that are new.

I did indeed watch the trailer...several times, actually.  I saw 3 new powers, 2 of which are linked to Yoshi: the ability to use the drill item to drill through some surfaces underground or to the other side of the planetoid; the ability to ride Yoshi (with all the eating enemies that entails); and the ability to do...something to make Yoshi fill up like a balloon and float upward a bit.  Nice additions, sure, but I expect more out of Nintendo with one of their biggest franchises.  I can only hope that we do get a repeat of Majora's Mask with this game, because that game was so different; emotional; and dark that I easily prefer that game over Ocarina of Time.

I'm sure it will surpass your standards. Calling it a rehash almost guarantees it.

"Expect the Worst, hope for the Best" seems to be a worthy philosophy these days when it comes to the ever-random Nintendo.  One year they release superlative titles like Smash Bros. Brawl or Metroid Prime 3.  The next, they release drek like Wii Music because they think the Wii audience will just buy anything.  You expect the worst of them, it can only go up from there.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2009, 08:28:05 PM »
they release dreck like Wii Music because they think the Wii audience will just buy anything.
*slap*

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2009, 08:30:32 PM »
they release dreck like Wii Music because they think the Wii audience will just buy anything.
*slap*

I'm actually really in favor of the idea of Wii Music, as I was a serious vocalist back in High School.  They just poorly implemented the idea with that game.  Frankly, I hope they revisit it in the future and really go all-out on the idea of musical experimentation with proper goals and whatnot to teach people musical theory in a fun way.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2009, 08:41:00 PM »
My only point with the engine was that I was always surprised that Nintendo didn't re-use the same engine for the Mario series specifically, like what Retro did with Metroid Prime.  The original Metroid Prime engine was so good they had to use it for a sequel...it only made sense.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2009, 08:47:54 PM »
Seeing Mario's F-Zero theme in Wii Music was pretty damn fun, and somewhat mind-blowing.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2009, 09:22:38 PM »
I don't see the smoldering idiots yet complaining how the three Metroid Prime games were very similar.

Thats because they are too busy complaining about how the new one is different.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2009, 11:00:55 PM »
Bring them here.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.