Author Topic: DS Revelations in Nintendo Power  (Read 12222 times)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: DS Revelations in Nintendo Power
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2005, 11:25:39 AM »
::: Some form of background checking...I want to know how many times a certain player has left in the middle of a game...

::: Updates suck, unless they are piddly stuff, like new furniture in Animal Crossing or something like that...A game should be complete when shipped...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2005, 11:42:59 AM »
Updates are fine with me, as long as they're free.  I mean, months after finishing a game I've gone back and said, "Wow, THIS would have been great if they had included it!"  With updates, the developers can do that (and not put out the same game with those updates and call it a sequel )

Piddly furniture updates sound awesome though =o
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2005, 04:04:34 PM »
Piddly furniture updates?  Why have that when you could have an update that would include Kwirk, Revenge of the Gator and Sneaky Snakes in Animal Crossing DS?  Now THAT'S an update.
It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

Offline Robotor

• The Robot Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2005, 04:06:26 PM »
Er...I know this is a stupid question, but how will this whole Gamespy online thing work?  I've never really done online gaming, so I am unaware how it works.  Will this simply be something that shows who is online with a DS at any given moment?  Or is it something different?  I just don't really understand how it will work, and any explanation will be apprciated, thanks in advance.  
It may be simple, but it ain't easy.

Offline KirbySStar

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2005, 04:25:26 PM »
I'm curious too.  Nintendo better find alternate ways of connecting to the internet than wireless routers.  In my dorm I can't get mine to work and there are a lot of people that do not have them at all.  That's a major handicap.  Perhaps if they were able to sell a device that connects to a USB port and talks with software that connects you to players.  That to me makes sense.

Offline Windrunner

• View Profile
RE:DS Revelations in Nintendo Power
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2005, 04:26:10 PM »
Another great RTS was Dark Reign.  Not the crappy sequel, but the original.  That had some fantastic AI routines, where you could actually set your units to go harass enemies.  They'd run in, take a couple pot shots, and retreat, just to piss them off..

Or for those of us who liked to... make the opponent reinforce that area, and then circle around with our main force.. BWAHAHAHAH.
----
Windrunner
It's not that I hate people, I just like my computer more... and I hate people.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2005, 05:42:36 PM »
Sorry the DS only has Wi-Fi so the only way you'll be able to play online is through a wireless router or hotspot.

People will go buy them if they want to play DS. Around where I live anyway, everyone has a wireless router. I don't think that many people will be left out, and wireless routers are cheap now.  

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2005, 06:05:06 PM »
One thing I don't want from GameSpy: bloat. I don't know if they've ever run a service for dedicated hardware, so I probably shouldn't judge them before they've shown anything, but their PC matchmaking blows. Maybe under the thumb of Nintendo they'll give a decent effort. Shiggy, don't let them spam us with ads on the top screen.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2005, 10:33:02 PM »
On the PC they're offering a free service that costs money to run, i.e. they have to use ads. On the DS they're paid by Nintendo.

Gamefreak: You forgot how critical recon was in TA. Few other games implement so many techs and countertechs- radars, radar jammers/stealth, sonars, sonar jammers, optical cloaking, nukes, anti-nukes, etc. Setting up areas patrolled by scout and fighter planes with artillery support, having units generally see less than they can shoot (I once had 20 Goliaths destroyed by one GAAT because I couldn't get it into my FOV), Big Berthas... I think there weren't many games this close to large scale warfare.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2005, 10:47:12 PM »
(Edit: i was confused before) KirbySStar: a Wireless Access Point is what you need.  Unfortunately, they don't always play well with dorm connections/the school doesn't like them.  There are ways around this, but they are a pain.

Nintendo would be wise to offer a "Wired ethernet" option pak you put in the GBA slot, and make its support mandatory (er, provide the code needed to redirect) for online games.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Finnegan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2005, 04:12:25 AM »
Interesting news.  I might actually pick up this issue of NP.  If Nintendo is partnering with Gamespy for this, I wonder were Warp Pipe fits in?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2005, 08:21:36 AM »
In the "look ma, I'm making up BS on the internet!" section.

Offline miedo

• View Profile
RE:DS Revelations in Nintendo Power
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2005, 11:21:17 AM »

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117
Sorry this report came so late.  When it broke over the weekend, we could never find reliable scans of the magazine or anyone we trust who had received theirs.

Aww, you don't trust me Karl?  Where's the love?

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2005, 11:27:37 AM »
hahaha that was good...brilliant

I popped over there recently and that thread is HUGE! In the 190's...
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu