Author Topic: Rock  (Read 39210 times)

Offline Baltron87

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Rock
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2006, 05:14:30 PM »
Raised fist, Tower of Rome, Pig Destroyer, Zombie Apocalypse, Cephalic Carnage, Chimairia... others

edit: forgot Parkway Drive!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Rock
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2006, 05:18:45 PM »
All of the bands you listed, with the exception of Queen and Guns n Roses, are terrible.

Ian, for a great, current rock band, check out the Mars Volta.  I hear they're especially awesome live, though I haven't had the honor yet (I've talked to two people, both of whom go to see lots of bands, and they both said it was probably the best live show they've ever seen).
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2006, 05:18:49 PM »
Only heard of 2 of the bands you mentioned Baltron. But, ill look um up.
We will rise from the litter boxes, and send humans into the doghouses.          BEWARE!!!!! ....                                    Muah ha ha!!!!

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2006, 05:22:40 PM »
Hostile Creation, NO. k, i will admit some of the bands listed sucks. I was just trying to see who liked what, and get to know more people. But, Nickelback is pretty good, and sound awesome live. Also, I belive Green day was extremely good with their last album, but the singer sounds winded live. Also, i didnt name my favorites, except Staind(who i believe is good), Queen, Nickelback, Black Sabbath, Pantera and that sums it up,( that was on there at the start). Try Breakin Benjamin and Seether. They are good. Along with Ra, and a little of Crossfade(because some songs sound the same), and some HIM. Led Zepplin = okay, Def Leppards not bad, so on ect.

Of course, this is just a matter of opinion.  
We will rise from the litter boxes, and send humans into the doghouses.          BEWARE!!!!! ....                                    Muah ha ha!!!!

Offline Baltron87

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2006, 05:22:41 PM »
I hope you like the feeling of what I call "musicaly punch in the teeth" when listening to raised fist! Get the song dedication... I mean, buy a CD!

Offline Frozen Atlantic

• Spiritually Direct
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2006, 06:02:21 PM »
"an, for a great, current rock band, check out the Mars Volta. I hear they're especially awesome live, though I haven't had the honor yet (I've talked to two people, both of whom go to see lots of bands, and they both said it was probably the best live show they've ever seen)."
LISTEN to this man. The Mars Volta are the greatest band in the world. Start with their first record.
smash brothers : 5069-3792-8710

wii: 2034-1057-8595-3928

if you send me a PM, I'll add you more quickly

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2006, 06:16:22 PM »
W00t for the love for Volta.

And boo at hating on hip hop. You guys are just being exposed to the crap. Immortal Technique and MF DOOM make genuinely good music.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2006, 06:39:13 PM »

Originally posted by: Pale

blackfootsteps wins!

As per seeing PJ this year... Their albums have gone a little too political and dark lately for my liking.  The new one is pretty good, but I don't plan on paying 50 bucks to see them and sit in the nose bleeds.

Thanks Pale!

If you get a chance (this is directed at everyone) listen to 'Marker in the Sand' and 'Come Back' off of the new album. Bloody awesome.

Prices don't matter much for concerts in Oz. Any big US band will charge approximately A$100 per ticket. Yeah we get screwed, but that's not stopping me from seeing Pearl Jam 5 times in November (arg exams!). How can I resist, I've got three front row tickets and an empty bank balance that needs filling for my equal first love the Wii.

“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2006, 05:01:30 AM »

Originally posted by: please let me in, please
Anyone heard that song No One Knows by Queens of the Sone Age? Its one of my favorites, and worth buying/ listening to; but the other songs by them suck, at least thats me. I also like that song Cowboys from Hell by Pantera. The solo is unbelivable, and really the guitarist is too. I also love Megadeath. Opinions?

really? i thought that was probably the weakest song on the album. the first track, i forget the long title but the short title is Millionaire is really good and has an old school rock and roll feel to it. its simple but it comes off super heavy. "first it giveth" was another stand out track as well as "the mosquito song" which ends the album and leaves you wondering just how the hell they slipped that song in there. everything before it is pretty heavy then all the sudden you have this slow melodic song with a great crescendo towards the end when the horn sections come in. the lyrics are great too.

ah well, to each his own
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2006, 06:03:53 AM »
I've listened to the Mars Volta, but it just doesn't do it for me.  Maybe I'll have another listen now...and seeing a band live can make a big difference.  I found Matt Mayes and El Torpedo really boring on the radio, but they were pretty good in concert.  I like a bunch of Candian bands (though not Rush, hehe...)

I love Queens of the Stone Age...No One Knows is one of my favourites, it just sounds "different", which is one of the things I look for most in music (and all media for that matter).  But I like a lot of their other songs.  The Mosquito song is great, good conclusion to the album.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Garnee

• Zig.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2006, 07:07:48 AM »
Rock and roll is where it's at.  Or where it was in the past.

Pink Floyd (best band that ever existed.)
Rush
Beatles
Eagles
King Crimson
U2
Jethro Tull

And then the more metal-y stuff...

Iron Maiden
Metallica
Van Halen
Scorpions
Guns and Roses
Ozzy Osbourne (when he still had Rhoads)

Along with the wierd stuff...

Daft Punk (this and Pink Floyd constitute most of my listening)
Nine Inch Nails
Spock's Beard (I almost misspelled that in a way that would offend our darker skinned forumers)  
Yeah, I do play mafia games.

Offline Frozen Atlantic

• Spiritually Direct
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2006, 07:31:17 AM »
"I've listened to the Mars Volta, but it just doesn't do it for me."
That's because YOU FAIL.

I kid. Have you heard At the Drive In?

(Don't yell at me, I actually discovered TMV BEFORE ATDI, so.. puh.)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2006, 08:59:21 AM »
At the Drive In was decent but over rated.  Then they split up and their offspring (Mars Volta and Sparta) were even weaker than the sum of their parts.  (Much like when KMFDM split and formed MDFMK and Slick Idiot.)

I saw Sparta live and they were the most boring live band I've ever seen.  (For the record, I didn't go to see them; I went to see Glassjaw and Dredg.)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Frozen Atlantic

• Spiritually Direct
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2006, 09:40:03 AM »
Dredg are from here. VERY good tunes.
At The Drive In had one five star GREAT record and a couple solid ones.
Mars Volta, like I said, are the forefront of music today. They're basically Led Zep 2006, rewriting the rulebook of music.
Sparta are above mediocre. Again, I discovered them before At The Drive In, so I probably had lower expectations. ("Mars Volta and the growly Cut Your Ribbon d00d were in a band? Aw, sweet)

They have this very good Fugazi meets stadium rock feel in their best songs... but they also tend to include some slow, boring filler. I've mostly heard good things about their live show, although I've heard they're meat/potatoes. Jim Ward was never into all the crazy stage theatrics.

They both have new CD's this fall. Tend to release at the same time. Hmm.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2006, 10:43:09 AM »

Originally posted by: blackfootsteps

Are any of you Americans going to see (or seen) PJ this year? Anyone like the new album? Does anyone care? No - ok I'll shut up now.

I saw Pearl Jam last October in Ottawa.  Twas effing brilliant.  I think it was the first time they played 'Don't Gimme No Lip' in concert.  Sleater Kinney doing backup vocals on Harvest Moon was lovely.

I'm really pissed that I'm broke right now because my favourite guitar player of all time, Neil Young, is playing here this summer.  I'd do anything to see that.

« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2006, 01:19:50 PM »
Okay, i like Pink Floyd. They are one of the best. Period. U2 is okay, but I never really listened to Pearl Jam. Only Spin the Black Circle ( and i do love that song). I think i might give them a shot. Anybody listen to Ra? Pretty good. Nickelback is coming to the Alltel Arena in Little Rock Arkansas August 31. Dont just instantly say im stupid for mentioning it, because many people hate their guts. But they sound awesome live, especially when they invite people on stage and show off. They are all awesome guitarists to, and its wicked when they all start a long solo at the same time. I dont know if they will do it in AR, but you might want to see it. Oh, and Hoobastank will open for them( dont know who likes them, but I personally think they suck).  

Eagles: cool
Iron Maiden: good
Ozzy: freakin best, better when in black sabbath though.
Metallica: really good
Guns N Roses: never liked their singer(sorry).  

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2006, 02:35:25 PM »
I seriously hope you don't think that Pearl Jam wrote Smoke on the Water...  

« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2006, 03:28:53 PM »
sorry, i meant Spin the Black Circle. Why did i think Smoke on the Water? the world may never know.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2006, 05:25:43 PM »
looks like a lot of classic, metal and grunge fans on pgc.

anyone else a fan of old punk bands like the Damned, Dead Kennedys and the like?

also what about bands like the police or the cure?
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Darkstar

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2006, 05:29:44 PM »
HEY ROCK WELL..........ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! forget you all i love nickelback and greenday.  peace.  
muwahahaha

« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2006, 05:29:46 PM »
sorry easycure, i havent listened to any on your list yet. but i will, dont worry. i wouldnt let you go through all that trouble for nothing. Anyway, ill get back to you on that.

HEY, dont worry about darkstar. I personally know him, truthfully, we are best friends. Hes just really really really really really really.....( 4 years later)... really really really random. So dont get mad, he isnt mean or anything. just letting you know.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2006, 05:43:26 PM »
lol yeah that was pretty random. anyway, i also listed a bunch of bands that arent very "rock" by comparison to other bands listed in other post, but are worth checking out none the less. if you'd like some song suggestions so you can hear the ones that DO rock, i'd be more than happy to.

also, im currently listening to Bad Religion and Angels and Airwaves, and actually just picked up a new cd a lil while ago: Rock Kills kid. listen to BB if you wanna hear some political stuff, and listen to A&A if you want to listen to some atmoshperic tunes, Rock Kills Kid if you wanna check out some garage stuff you can either dance to or chill out to.

suggested songs:

Bad Religion: Delirium of Disorder, You
Angels & Airwaves: Good Day, A Littles Enough
Rock Kills Kid: Midnight, Run Like Hell

« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2006, 05:48:24 PM »
Ill try um. Also, Darkstar is opening a topic in Tys clubhouse. He rates how random u are, and im going for a 10. try it out some time.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2006, 05:52:22 PM »
too late ;-)

by the way,  how many musicians are there in the pgc forums??

« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2006, 06:00:00 PM »
EasyCure, i dont know. Ive only been here for 4 days, and dont know too many people. Sorry. Oh, and one more thing, I WILL GET A 10!!!!!!!!!