Author Topic: Venting: Basic Wii U for $200 => help justify the purchase...  (Read 15677 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
1. No GameCube controller support, obviously. That's about the only thing that's different, the games still function the same. It works like GameCube mode works on Wii: It is essentially a Wii, no Wii U controllers or features will function and you'll need Wii controllers.
2. If you ever want to upgrade your VC games to the Wii U versions when they release, then you'll need to do the transfer. Now that homebrew works in Wii mode it isn't a reason to keep stuff on a real Wii anymore.
3. Yes, LostWinds will remain on your old Wii, as reported by people who have it. You can try searching GameFAQs to see if anyone had trouble transferring the unlisted games, but I just looked and I didn't see anyone who had such a problem. When you do the transfer you will see the list of all your games that are being transferred, so you'll be sure that it's moving over.
4. It doesn't matter what's on your internal memory or SD card, you're not transferring the actual games. You're just transferring the licnences to the Wii U, and so you will have to re-download anything you want to play. The Wii mode has the same amount of space as the Wii, so you won't be able to store more games than a Wii can.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Almost everything will transfer from your Wii leaving it blank and empty. It will take a while, 40 minutes for me. Wii Mode is an item on the Wii U menu screen, the Wii U gamepad goes dark in Wii mode.

The Lost Winds thing is weird. It's not listed in the eshop on the Wii virtual system. Other items I purchased still appear as downloadable in the virtual Wii eshop. There was word of fixing it at one point, but I haven't heard anything in a while. Pretty sure the Sequel is okay.

Keep in mind the Wii U isn't Gamecube compatible.

I think leaving stuff on the SD card is fine, I still keep several Wii games on my SD card in the Wii U and play them no problem.

I don't know how much a used Wii goes for in Canada, but I saw one for $40 here in Spokane.

Also, in the news today, apparently several retailers are delisting the Wii U 8gb edition, so I think Nintendo is discontinuing it, hence the sales price.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
Actually Mop It Up, I didn't have to redownload the games I had on my SD card.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
Oh, really? I had heard people complain about how the games on their SD card didn't work with the Wii U until they re-downloaded them, but maybe that was a different case...

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
Be prepared for the byzantine transfer process. Took me like two hours, due partially to transfer errors that required me to start over a bunch of times.

To follow up on the post from above, Toki Tor 2 is probably my favorite game on the console so far. NSMBU was a bit of a let down, Nintendo Land is a joke as a retail release, Zombi U is okay but I don't think I'll wind up finishing it if I can't get my load of guns back from my most recent dead character, Assassin's Creed III is pretty terrible, Runner 2 is okay. Really nothing I've played so far is on Toki Tori 2's level. Will probably try out Lego City and Darksiders at some point, but I don't expect to be blown away by either.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 05:45:37 PM by MagicCow64 »

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
1) What do I need to know about backwards compatibility, and using a Wii U console to play Wii games?
It just works. Video goes through HDMI, so that's by default gives a better picture.

2) Is the data transfer worth doing?  (This would be a selling point, as putting digital content on a more reliable console would be nice, and so would selling the old console to help subsidize this purchase.)
Definitely.

4) I have a ton of content stored on the SD card, because the Wii's internal memory isn't big enough. Better to cram as much as possible onto my Wii before transferring, or just re-download later?
I think you can't do this transfer in half. You have to go all in. After transfer all games regardless where they are will become unavailable.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
Oh, really? I had heard people complain about how the games on their SD card didn't work with the Wii U until they re-downloaded them, but maybe that was a different case...

You don't have to re-download them if they are on your Wii Console 512 MB hard drive.  If you have games on an external SD card you will have to re-download them.  You have to copy the SD card tool to the Wii which takes up a decent amount of space.  I was able to get a handful of games transferred to my Wii, but ultimately spent a couple of hours re-downloading content that wouldn't fit on my Wii.  Such is the joy of living in the country with crappy internet. 

Quote from: ejamer on Yesterday at 01:35:01 PM4) I have a ton of content stored on the SD card, because the Wii's internal memory isn't big enough. Better to cram as much as possible onto my Wii before transferring, or just re-download later?I think you can't do this transfer in half. You have to go all in. After transfer all games regardless where they are will become unavailable.
Yes, it helps to transfer as much as possible.  The Wii HD is copied to an SD card and essentially becomes your Wii Hard Drive on the Wii U.  Any SD card that was attached to your previous Wii will not work and will need to be re-downloaded.  All the games that I fit on my Wii were fine and didn't need to be re-downloaded.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 06:47:52 AM by smallsharkbigbite »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Venting: Basic Wii U for $200 => help justify the purchase...
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2013, 09:23:53 PM »
So, I want to summarize your comments so far in this thread regarding your decisionmaking in whether or not to purchase a Wii U Basic Model:

• $200 is a good price for a Wii U (+)
  • But you don't find interest in any current or near-future titles other than Zombi U (-)
  • BUT once you own a console, it's easier for you to justify purchasing games (+)
  • Ports of (now) older games don't interest you (-)
  • Digital titles don't interest you, so the small hard drive isn't a problem (+)
  • Wii U has Wii backwards compatibility (+)
With that in mind, I think the real question for you is "Do I want to purchase a Wii U for $200 (arguably the lowest price you'll find one for a long, long time) for future potential games you may like down the road even if it may be a while?". 

If you buy today, you're tying up that $200 to snag a good deal on the system in hopes that Nintendo produces compelling games to you.  If you're price sensitive and $200 is near the cost threshold for you in a console, then either a Basic Wii U or used PS3/Xbox 360 might be the viable options for you right now. 

For either console, you can find good deals on games if you look around.  You would be getting a nice, large library for the PS3/Xbox route, but those system's new releases are going to dry up, while the Wii U's library is going to grow from this point.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2013, 09:59:11 AM »
Can anyone suggest a good GIF?

The posts here convinced me that, as a long term gaming investment for the next 4-5 years, a Wii U would be worth buying.  Unfortunately, after getting the console home and setting everything up I found out that the sync button on the console was faulty and it's impossible to sync the gamepad. Now I have to return it or send the system in to Nintendo for repairs.  (Guess which one of those options I'll pick.)

Maybe it's just not meant to be.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2013, 01:23:15 PM »
Return it. Have the retailer get you a new one. Simple as that. Are you sure you just weren't syncing it correctly?

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2013, 02:16:02 PM »
Return it. Have the retailer get you a new one. Simple as that. Are you sure you just weren't syncing it correctly?

The sync button on the console doesn't work. No matter how it's pressed - light, firm, long, short, once, repeatedly, with a finger of a stylus or a pin - there is no response from the console so it's impossible to find out what symbols I would enter on the gamepad to continue.

NoA support didn't offer any suggestion. After a few questions her only response was "that really sounds broken, wish I could help but you'll need to return it".

There were 2 consoles left in store when I bought, and because it's basically a clearance item I'm unlikely to get more while the sale is still on. Guess I'll find out whether sale pricing has increased interest enough to move them or not - if the store is sold out then I'll take it as a sign that I'm not meant to own one.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 02:25:10 PM by ejamer »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2013, 05:23:24 PM »
Actually Mop it up, I didn't have to redownload the games I had on my SD card.
If you have games on an external SD card you will have to re-download them.
Hm, you guys are saying two different things. I'm so confused...

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2013, 07:11:13 PM »
I transferred mine a month ago and it wouldn't let me access the games on the SD card.  You can take Nintendo's FAQ for what it is worth. 

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/system_system_transfer.jsp

Software and save data that may already exist on an SD card from the source Wii console cannot be transferred directly. If you have data on the SD card, perform the following:For software, either transfer it back to the source Wii console before performing the transfer, or redownload it after the transfer using the Wii Shop Channel on the target Wii U console's Wii Menu. ()

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2013, 07:28:39 PM »
I don't know how my SD games are working then, I didn't re-download anything.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2013, 10:04:38 PM »

The sync button on the console doesn't work. No matter how it's pressed - light, firm, long, short, once, repeatedly, with a finger of a stylus or a pin - there is no response from the console so it's impossible to find out what symbols I would enter on the gamepad to continue.

NoA support didn't offer any suggestion. After a few questions her only response was "that really sounds broken, wish I could help but you'll need to return it".

There were 2 consoles left in store when I bought, and because it's basically a clearance item I'm unlikely to get more while the sale is still on. Guess I'll find out whether sale pricing has increased interest enough to move them or not - if the store is sold out then I'll take it as a sign that I'm not meant to own one.
or you can request that they order one from another branch or something.

frankly i expect the model we now know as the deluxe to drop its price to around $270 if they really are phasing out the basic so perhaps it would be better for you to wait until then.

If you can't get a full replacement from the store then i suggest going back to Nintendo. I have worked with their customer service before they are absolutely excellent and I imagine they will be willing to get something worked out once they learn that your efforts to do so with the retailer were in vain

I also suspect that publishers will continue down-porting PS4/Xbone games to the current crop of consoles for as long as possible so it will probably be wise to see what happens then.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2013, 07:59:44 AM »
frankly i expect the model we now know as the deluxe to drop its price to around $270 if they really are phasing out the basic so perhaps it would be better for you to wait until then.

For me, the Deluxe version isn't worth an extra $70.  Hard drive space isn't enough to prevent the need for an external drive, Nintendo Land can be bought for under $15, and the stands are very nice but not worth paying much for.

So value comes down to how much digital content you plan to buy.  Worth it to some... not really for me.

If you can't get a full replacement from the store then i suggest going back to Nintendo. I have worked with their customer service before they are absolutely excellent and I imagine they will be willing to get something worked out once they learn that your efforts to do so with the retailer were in vain

If I was more excited about the console, then I definitely would've done this.  But even though it's a good value at $200, I'm just as happy to have that money back in my account instead.

Tip for Canadian Wii U owners:  Check your local Walmart.  Batman, Black Ops 2, and Nintendo Land (among others) are marked down in SOME (not all) Walmart stores.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2013, 09:12:18 AM »
That's a pricing error that will be corrected shortly. Also, f**k you to the people who hoarded the games and got a bunch of games taken off the Futureshop/Best Buy Trade 2 for (game) list.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2013, 11:19:41 AM »
That's a pricing error that will be corrected shortly. Also, f**k you to the people who hoarded the games and got a bunch of games taken off the Futureshop/Best Buy Trade 2 for (game) list.

Ah, is that what was going on?  Makes more sense than thinking they were really on sale for $10.

Also, hoarders suck.  I used to live Markham, ON and trying to take advantage of any deal/sale was a nightmare because of the ridiculous hoarding that took place.  Living in a small town now means MUCH less selection, but the lack of competition usually works in my favor.

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2013, 09:00:40 AM »
I don't know how my SD games are working then, I didn't re-download anything.

Did you actually start a game?  My games show up in the Wii U on the SD card as if everything is normal.  They just wouldn't load.  It gives me an error message that the games cannot be played on this Wii which forced me to download them to make them active. 

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2013, 06:33:16 PM »
A fellow over on CAG claims to have picked up a Basic Wii U at Target (in Canada) for $150.

If true, then perhaps we can put this thread to rest.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: Venting: Basic Wii U for $150 => help justify the purchase...
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2013, 06:57:25 PM »
A fellow over on CAG claims to have picked up a Basic Wii U at Target (in Canada) for $150.

Or not :D

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2013, 08:41:46 PM »

I can see it if the store just opened, and they're doing a $50 instant rebate on a $200 purchase (and they're price matching Walmart).
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2013, 09:14:25 PM »

I thought the thread already was resting... but $150 is a fantastic price if you are able to find one available.

Unfortunately, this changes nothing for me - the nearest Target that is actually open is comfortably over 1000 km away.  For the metrically challenged among you, that's about 620 miles.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2013, 09:27:41 PM »

I can see it if the store just opened, and they're doing a $50 instant rebate on a $200 purchase (and they're price matching Walmart).

According to the post, the fellow picked up the last one and asked a clerk to scan it, where it rung up $150. Another account on that site has someone asking a clerk to scan it, and when the $150 price came up they  said that must be a mistake and refused to sell it to him.

And so the mixed messaging continues.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 09:31:31 PM by Retro Deckades »