Author Topic: Gamecube games were harder than Wii games.  (Read 12393 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Gamecube games were harder than Wii games.
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 11:21:59 AM »
They should have included both and given the option. I loved both Cube Monkey Balls and Banana Blitz was one of the first Wii games I bought, but I ended up returning it because I couldn't stand the controls.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2008, 11:23:19 AM »
Yes but then they'd have to make a whole different game. If Kororinpa didn't exist i'd agree with you but it does so Monkey Ball can still be Monkey Ball. I found BBs controls fairly confusing and floaty until it just "clicked" somehow.

I hope we get a new Monkey Ball with more polish, come on Sega don't be afraid! This is the Wii for gods sake!
As long as the shoot whoever made the nearly impossible 1 or two level in each area first.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2008, 11:53:50 AM »
I play the monkey balls mostly for their party games, so Banana Blitz was a disappointment. I will agree that the single player was superior. The skills of the monkeys vary enough so you have to find the right one to beat a level.

Also, I couldn't stand the tank controls on Remake so I died on the first zombie. I did beat RE:UC

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2008, 02:19:10 PM »
That first zombie is tough though!
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2008, 02:41:51 PM »
You don't have to kill it.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline therat

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2008, 03:00:44 PM »
galaxy and sunshine are about equal in fun, but i hated the lava pit to get to bowser in sunshine. i quit and never beat it. that boat + sprinkler system was wack beyond belief.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2008, 06:04:48 PM »
I'm sorry but anyone who says Metroid Prime 3 is the easiest Metroid Prime game must not realize the game has two higher difficulty settings.  On Normal mode yes, it's easier then the other two, but on Veteran mode it's harder then Prime 1 and 2's Normal Mode and on Hyper Mode its the hardest Metroid game ever made.  That's right I said it's harder then the original even since some of the boss fights in the original don't take close to 2 HOURS to beat like they do on Prime 3's Hyper Mode difficulty.

So unless you've all beaten Prime 3 on Hyper Mode difficulty, none of you have any right to call it too easy.  There's harder difficulty settings in the game for a reason, I suggest some of you actually USE THEM.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2008, 06:28:28 PM »
I think the evidence of Wii games being easier than Cube games is flimsy anyway but wouldn't this be expected?  Ignore even the non-gamer/casual focus stuff.  It's a common observation that games today are easier than games from the past.  It's a common "in my day" topic.  So I would assume that every generation games will get easier or at least appear to from the perspective of those with enough experience to notice.

Though Twlight Princess is significantly harder than Wind Waker, mostly because I have no idea what the game over screen in Wind Waker looks like.  Wind Waker is almost insultingly easy while I have died in Twilight Princess.  Not often but I have.

But then those are both Gamecube games, aren't they? ;)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2008, 06:42:35 PM »
on the Internet everybody is better than everybody

I'm not, I suck at games now.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2008, 06:01:47 AM »
Personally, I thought Wind Waker was far less difficult than Twilight Princess.  Heck, I haven't even beaten TP yet, simply because I keep getting hopelessly lost in the overworld.  Galaxy was undoubtedly less diffucult than Sunshine, though; this is due largely to the fact that there are so many worlds to visit that it's quite simple to cherry-pick the first couple of easy stars from them.  Some of the comet stars are actually very difficult to obtain, bordering on frustrating.  Some of the purple coin levels make me want to pull my hair out, throw it on the ground, light it on fire, and say hurtful cuss words at the ashes.
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2008, 08:48:10 AM »
For me personally, I think some games may be easier on the Wii thanks to the motion controls, but this is just because the controls themselves are easier to figure out. On classic controllers how many of you ended up pressing the wrong button or button combinations are crucial moments and ended up dying as a result? That's happened to me far more times than I could ever count.

So yeah, the controls kinda make things easier, but the games themselves are probably more or less equal in difficulty in every other respect. In my opinion, frustrating controls make things more frustrating than challenging. Having to time things perfectly and then fail and have to start over again from some distant point is likely to make a gamer so frustrated that they'll stop playing the game and that'll be the end of it. Games should be challenging with puzzles and things of that sort, rather than button combinations. I think this is why most older folks don't care for games, and this is why they are starting to be drawn in to the Wii. The controls don't make things easier per se, but they make things far less confusing and frustrating.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
Personally, I thought Wind Waker was far less difficult than Twilight Princess.  Heck, I haven't even beaten TP yet, simply because I keep getting hopelessly lost in the overworld.  Galaxy was undoubtedly less diffucult than Sunshine, though; this is due largely to the fact that there are so many worlds to visit that it's quite simple to cherry-pick the first couple of easy stars from them.  Some of the comet stars are actually very difficult to obtain, bordering on frustrating.  Some of the purple coin levels make me want to pull my hair out, throw it on the ground, light it on fire, and say hurtful cuss words at the ashes.
and You beat Wind Waker?   I was lost on that Stupid Ocean, <Warning Snide Comment>thanks for killing an otherwise great game Nintendo, most of the time and never beat Wind Waker because it sapped all enjoyment out of the game.
For me personally, I think some games may be easier on the Wii thanks to the motion controls, but this is just because the controls themselves are easier to figure out. On classic controllers how many of you ended up pressing the wrong button or button combinations are crucial moments and ended up dying as a result? That's happened to me far more times than I could ever count.

So yeah, the controls kinda make things easier, but the games themselves are probably more or less equal in difficulty in every other respect. In my opinion, frustrating controls make things more frustrating than challenging. Having to time things perfectly and then fail and have to start over again from some distant point is likely to make a gamer so frustrated that they'll stop playing the game and that'll be the end of it. Games should be challenging with puzzles and things of that sort, rather than button combinations. I think this is why most older folks don't care for games, and this is why they are starting to be drawn in to the Wii. The controls don't make things easier per se, but they make things far less confusing and frustrating.
Yes I've done it a fair amount on the Wiimote itself.  Less so on the Gamecube controller and increasing so on the Classic Controler.  Not to mention the amount of times I've sworn I did the right move but the wrong results happen.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2008, 10:53:45 AM »
I'm sorry but anyone who says Metroid Prime 3 is the easiest Metroid Prime game must not realize the game has two higher difficulty settings.  On Normal mode yes, it's easier then the other two, but on Veteran mode it's harder then Prime 1 and 2's Normal Mode and on Hyper Mode its the hardest Metroid game ever made.  That's right I said it's harder then the original even since some of the boss fights in the original don't take close to 2 HOURS to beat like they do on Prime 3's Hyper Mode difficulty.

So unless you've all beaten Prime 3 on Hyper Mode difficulty, none of you have any right to call it too easy.  There's harder difficulty settings in the game for a reason, I suggest some of you actually USE THEM.
IIRC those modes were unlockable, meaning you don't have a choice on your first playthrough. And really, the first playthrough matters the most since then you're still exploring and seeing new things. MP3C was the first Metroid game I've ever reached 100% in, thanks to those helpful "here are all the items" things, though it's probably the Metroid where 100% matters the least. Was there even one upgrade that was optional and didn't just increase a capacity? MP1 had most of the charge specials, SM had the beams and Xray, ZM had the power bombs, what does MP3 have?

BTW, the only game I recently had trouble with hitting the wrong buttons was MP3C, activating the morph ball on accident.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2008, 12:07:15 PM »
The wiimote is easier to figure out because it has less buttons (especially in games where the nunchuck isn't used). Plus the motions controls are naturally instinctive to anyone so that's a no-brainer.

BTW, the N64 controller was probably the most confusing one Nintendo ever made. I'm not sure about other companies, but the Dreamcast's controller looked a little odd as well, and so did the Atari Jaguar controller. I never played the Jaguar, but that controller looked weird and complicated...
is your sanity...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2008, 12:26:40 PM »

It's more the opposite for me.  I find the remote harder to use.  Though in most game of any sort I die because my reflexes weren't fast enough.

Maybe in a fighting game I can't get a fireball off quick enough but with most "old" games the button combos weren't complex enough to make it difficult for me.  But then I'm playing a lot of Nintendo games.  They don't make Zelda controls needlessly complex or confusing.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2008, 06:58:25 PM »

IIRC those modes were unlockable

Only Hyper mode is unlockable, Veteran Mode was right there from the start.  And since it was called Veteran Mode, it was pretty obvious that that was the mode people who played the previous games should have started on their first play through.

That's why people that played Prime 3 for the first time on Veteran Mode enjoyed it a lot more then those who played it on Normal.  Because Veteran Mode was meant for the Veterans and provided the challenge the veterans of the series were looking for. 
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2008, 03:31:23 PM »
on the Internet everybody is better than everybody

Especially me.  I beat every game I own.

Except for the goddamn story mode in F-Zero GX.  I got stuck on level 7 and could never beat it no matter how hard I tried.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2008, 04:26:34 PM »

IIRC those modes were unlockable

Only Hyper mode is unlockable, Veteran Mode was right there from the start.  And since it was called Veteran Mode, it was pretty obvious that that was the mode people who played the previous games should have started on their first play through.

That's why people that played Prime 3 for the first time on Veteran Mode enjoyed it a lot more then those who played it on Normal.  Because Veteran Mode was meant for the Veterans and provided the challenge the veterans of the series were looking for. 

Guess I figured Veteran was the same as Hard in previous Metroid games which used to be a bit harder than I could handle, I'd usually get stuck on one of the later bosses (Ridley or the final boss)

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2008, 04:10:19 AM »
and You beat Wind Waker?   I was lost on that Stupid Ocean, <Warning Snide Comment>thanks for killing an otherwise great game Nintendo, most of the time and never beat Wind Waker because it sapped all enjoyment out of the game.

Sure did.  Getting lost as sea just felt...I don't know, different from getting lost in TP, at least to me.  It's not that TP's overworld was as vast as that of WW, it's just that it was very intricate.  It takes me a really long time to reorient where I'm trying get exactly from most points in TP, and how exactly I'm supposed to get there.  Whereas in WW, it's pretty much just "Head South for a long time," in TP, it's "leap into the river, swim through the nook in the grotto, find the guy that owns the *travel minigame*, aim for the precipice, find a grass whistle, etc.," all to be able to find your way to the nearest bomb shop.  I suppose it's a matter of taste.  I wasn't put off by WW's copious sailing, but others may prefer TP's complex overworld, which at times is almost like a dungeon in and of itself.
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2008, 09:23:52 AM »
and You beat Wind Waker?   I was lost on that Stupid Ocean, <Warning Snide Comment>thanks for killing an otherwise great game Nintendo, most of the time and never beat Wind Waker because it sapped all enjoyment out of the game.

Sure did.  Getting lost as sea just felt...I don't know, different from getting lost in TP, at least to me.  It's not that TP's overworld was as vast as that of WW, it's just that it was very intricate.  It takes me a really long time to reorient where I'm trying get exactly from most points in TP, and how exactly I'm supposed to get there.  Whereas in WW, it's pretty much just "Head South for a long time," in TP, it's "leap into the river, swim through the nook in the grotto, find the guy that owns the *travel minigame*, aim for the precipice, find a grass whistle, etc.," all to be able to find your way to the nearest bomb shop.  I suppose it's a matter of taste.  I wasn't put off by WW's copious sailing, but others may prefer TP's complex overworld, which at times is almost like a dungeon in and of itself.
My Biggest problem with TP's overworld was it was needlessly large for what it was.  There were areas that were there to be there and not much going on.  My other problem was there were complete areas you could totally accidentally avoid in the game.  I actually didn't find the Fishing area or the Canoeing back down the river till I was on the very last part of the game.  I even tried looking for them at one point...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2008, 01:41:48 PM »
I can't help but second your thoughts on TP.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2008, 01:58:32 PM »
I do to wish there was more going on out there.  But man it was awesome right your horse and kick the **** out of enemies on it.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2008, 02:37:23 PM »
eh maybe not.

No Lon Lon Ranch, no Malon -- Epona seems to be like 1 of 3 horses in the entire game.  She's endangered, almost useless, and should be set free.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2008, 02:56:23 PM »
Epona seems to be like 1 of 3 horses in the entire game.

Nintendo should have included a herd of wild horses.  The world would feel more alive with some non-hostile wildlife wandering around, and if you thought angering a flock of chickens was dangerous....

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2008, 03:00:45 PM »
Epona seems to be like 1 of 3 horses in the entire game.

Nintendo should have included a herd of wild horses.  The world would feel more alive with some non-hostile wildlife wandering around, and if you thought angering a flock of chickens was dangerous....

That would make the game feel like more like the revolution OOT was, what with the whole butterfly landing on your stick thing...  *whoosh*
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.