Author Topic: Direct to post linking  (Read 4774 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Direct to post linking
« on: September 08, 2005, 03:14:12 PM »
I was wonderin if it was possible to upgrade or allow the possibility to link directy to a certain post in a thread instead of just to the thread itself or a page of the thread.

Like when someone wants to know something and someone else already posted it in another thread, I could link him directly to that post so that he can see it in its entirety and even read the rest of the thread it was posted in. Or I could point them to several different post that illustrate a certain point that I was trying to convey while not running a current thread off topic or cluttering it full of quotes from different topics.

Offline Famicom

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Direct to post linking
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 08:56:50 AM »
You mean like this? Easily done with the threaded view.
Oops pow suprise!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 11:19:56 AM »
I didn't know you could do that, and since no one else has replied in almost 2 weeks, I'm gonna guess that they didn't know that either.

Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

G.I. JOE!!!  

Thanx for the heads up.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE: Direct to post linking
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 11:23:25 AM »
Oh, we all knew.  We had just agreed to keep it a secret from you.  Way to spill the beans, Famicom.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Famicom

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 11:38:40 AM »
Gee tiddlywinks.
Oops pow suprise!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 09:33:01 AM »
I just used that feature and it is way too complicated...

1st I have to locate the post(easier to search by page), remember when it was posted
then switch to threaded view, wait for it to load
locate my post again, and then copy the link.
thats more difficult than it needs to be.

Other forums such as N-Sider have a little linkable post count in the top right corner of every post, that makes things quick & easy.  I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm bitchin just to bitch, but I like to keep things simple, no need to complicate everything, and this is more complicated than it needs to be in comparison with other methods.

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 07:57:55 PM »
I agree, it would be intresting to have around.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 09:35:52 AM »
Your opinion doesn't count.  Everyone knows you two are in cohoots.  I wouldn't be surprised if BNM is one of your alts.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 11:47:20 AM »
hehe, one problem Vudu. Two different IP's cannot post from half away around the world at the sametime, your opinion is no longer valid:P

Think we can get a number of views a topic has gotten so we can gauage how many people may of seen the thread? just a thought, I've noticed other forums have it, but I'm not picky just curious if we could ever get such a feature.

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 08:33:42 PM »

Think we can get a number of views a topic has gotten so we can gauage how many people may of seen the thread? just a thought, I've noticed other forums have it, but I'm not picky just curious if we could ever get such a feature
I've always wanted that... PlanetRevolution?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 09:05:14 PM »
Sure, it would be great to have an updated modernized forum with the site's transisition period to the new console

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 07:19:11 AM »
Two different IP's cannot post from half away around the world at the sametime, your opinion is no longer valid:P

You have much to learn, young Padawan.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 07:46:54 AM »
I'm gonna put an end to this now even though I know you guys are just joking, I'm nobody's alternate account. If anything it would be the other way around, I've been here b4 PGC was PGC and thats longer than most of the moderators.

now back on topic....

I've done a little research on other forum formats and found that;
vBulletin which only cost $160 for unlimited use but $30 a year after the 1st to upgrade has:
-direct to post linking
-thread views/post

and also has 1st post preview so that you can see what the 1st post says b4 clicking on it

Invision Power Board which cost $185 for a perpetual liscence and free upgrades w/ the option of $30 to continue tech support/services after the 1st year or
$70 for a one year liscence w/ no upgrades after that 1st year unless you buy another liscence.
Invision also has:
-direct to post linking
-thread views/post

Invision sounds like the better deal, but vBulletin is a more popular format.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 09:49:00 AM »
Or you can just go with a free service called phpbb, or is the fact that it's shareware with free support taboo? You could argue that it's not really the best, but it's a huge improvment over Fusetalk and comparable to the charge service boards. It's what I currently use for my own forums:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forums/
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2006, 09:58:21 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Two different IP's cannot post from half away around the world at the sametime, your opinion is no longer valid:P

You have much to learn, young Padawan.

heh, that may be. But the thingn is I don't have a proxy server :p

IP's are IP's and differ from one another, do the math

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2006, 10:11:25 AM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
I'm gonna put an end to this now even though I know you guys are just joking, I'm nobody's alternate account. If anything it would be the other way around, I've been here b4 PGC was PGC and thats longer than most of the moderators.
Who's joking?    I would just like to point out that your profile ID is 4447 and Mystic's is 2678.  So he wins.  Mine is 1076; I win.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2006, 10:11:39 AM »
Currently PGC is based on cold fusion.  All three message board systems you guys suggested are PHP.  I have nothing to do with that side of PGC, but technology changes are never trivial.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2006, 10:25:16 AM »
I still wuv you pale and I still beat Vudu :p

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2006, 01:55:33 PM »

Originally posted by: vudu
Who's joking?    I would just like to point out that your profile ID is 4447 and Mystic's is 2678.  So he wins.  Mine is 1076; I win.
Thats just cause I was really late to sign up to the current board change, I've been here since '99 or '00 under 2 different screen names :P