Author Topic: Nintendo Details Switch Online Plans  (Read 6101 times)

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Details Switch Online Plans
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2018, 11:25:39 AM »

Hell, the idea of still having some games with free online after September is so bad and confusing to people! If you couldn't sell your partners on this thing maybe you should have taken that as a sign that this whole paid online thing, the way it is currently structured, is a half baked mess.

So half baked that you had to quietly release details of it in the middle of the night for EU/most of NA.

The fact that they're dropping the bad news a month before E3 kinda says it all, really. Rip off the bandaid early before tainting the hype cycle.

By the way, just wanna point out how almost exactly a year ago I kinda called the 'only for our own games cause we didn't convince anyone else yet' nature of the online service. Put 20$ on that too, in further coincidence, haha.

20$ - paid online service will receive very little explanation. It will only work for several games (Spla2n, ARMS, MK8) because Nintendo hasn't made any deals yet with third party online games like FAST RMX. Some games will remain free online and everything will work on an ad-hoc basis that will infuriate comment sections.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2018, 12:01:43 PM »
I don’t think Nintendo releasing info in the middle of the night implies it was intentionally trying to do so quietly. This is the same company that did a Nintendo Direct Mini in January without telling anyone. Nintendo just does things sometimes.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2018, 12:24:04 PM »
The only thing I really hate is that there is still no text messaging to my friends! When I play Pokken and see my friends online there are no lobbies, so its impossible to see what they are doing and I can't invite them to our private groups.

I just want to tell people that I'm playing X, join me.

I hate voice chat as well so I'm certainly not going to do it with the dumb phone app. I liked chatting with you guys over the years but other random people I meet online seem to have only a high level of gaming skill with an equally low level of social skills.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 12:27:19 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2018, 12:37:12 PM »
I don’t personally care for voice chat since I prefer local multiplayer and rarely play online anyway. Regardless, I understand the value of voice chat in general and particularly in co-op games. It should be there and not asininely implemented into a separate app.

Offline ForgottenPearl

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2018, 03:59:01 PM »
Rather than give us dedicated servers to improve the overall online experience to justify the price, Nintendo gives us NES games... again. 

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2018, 04:54:03 PM »
To be honest, if Nintendo was going to overhaul the app (as they need to), I think they'd lump it into this announcement.  Otherwise, I guess they're gonna talk about it at E3 and dedicate a chunk of time to talk about how they fixed a problem they invented.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2018, 07:35:05 PM »
I'm looking forward to the classic games with online added. I'm hoping Mario Bros. is one of them, that's a fun co-op game.
Woo!

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2018, 12:35:46 AM »
The only thing I really hate is that there is still no text messaging to my friends! When I play Pokken and see my friends online there are no lobbies, so its impossible to see what they are doing and I can't invite them to our private groups.

I just want to tell people that I'm playing X, join me.

I hate voice chat as well so I'm certainly not going to do it with the dumb phone app. I liked chatting with you guys over the years but other random people I meet online seem to have only a high level of gaming skill with an equally low level of social skills.

Yeah as it stands now a friend may jump into a Splatoon 2 lobby I'm in if there's an opening. I wouldn't mind a "join friend's lobby" message popping up post-game so we can meet up.

Is there a NWR Discord Server? I haven't talked to you guys in a game since Monster Hunter Tri...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 01:17:14 AM by GK »
Mission...complete?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2018, 02:58:09 AM »
Is there a NWR Discord Server? I haven't talked to you guys in a game since Monster Hunter Tri...

Yes, there is. Just click on this NWR Discord article link to get the invite needed to join.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2018, 06:20:19 AM »

Yes, there is. Just click on this NWR Discord article link to get the invite needed to join.

Thank you!
Mission...complete?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2018, 07:09:48 PM »
Now wait a minute! There is already someone in NWR's Discord named GX, who I thought was GK. But if not GK, then who is GX on here?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2018, 12:30:52 AM »
Apparently GX doesn't really use the forums. I asked him a couple days ago on Discord if he does but he said he hardly comes on here or checks them out so I have no idea if he even has a username with the forums or not. Like you, I thought maybe GX and GK were the same but then GK asked for the Discord link and that was the end of that nice little theory.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2018, 09:26:56 AM »
So changing my nickname there to GK probably wouldn't help, huh?
Mission...complete?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2018, 04:15:49 PM »
Use whatever you want. People will be able to figure out you are two different users. It's just that since there was no GX on the forum and your username was so similar to that which caused a couple of us to think you were the same. But now that's all cleared up. So, use what you want.