Author Topic: How do you play your FPS?  (Read 3269 times)

Offline bowwman

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
How do you play your FPS?
« on: July 31, 2004, 05:48:20 PM »
I have a question, how does everyone here like to play their first person shooter games ... walking with the left control stick .. and looking with the right c stick? .. or looking with the left control stick and moving with the right c stick? ... I would really like to know how you guys feel on this ...

--BoWWman--  
"A thousand books aren't worth one real trip"

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
    • View Profile
RE: How do you play your FPS?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 06:30:27 PM »
you asked the same thing there.......
But, i like to play with walking forward and backwords, and turning on the left stick, and strafeing and looking up and down on the right stick. Never could get used to the 'standard' dual analog setup after playing Perfect Dark for so long. I love that game.

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing

Offline bowwman

• View Profile
RE:How do you play your FPS?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 08:49:30 PM »
Actualy no, I didn't ask the same thing, I reversed the movement and look of the sticks. I personaly am most comfortable with the c stick for movement and straff and the control stick for looking and turning (Turok has corrupted me, and I refuse to think differently) ... Im asking this cause some future FPS games may not include any options to change the control style ... I can not say which, but you'll have to keep your "EYE" out for it.

--BoWWman--

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 09:45:21 PM »
I use the Left anlog stick for moving forwards and backwards and strafing, and the C-stick for turning and looking up/down. Thats the normal way isn't it, i guess i am nothing special........
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 10:44:29 PM »
I put my VR helmet on and leap back to 1993 to play first person shooters.

"Watch out, here comes the T-Rex!"
"Where?!"
"Over there!"
"That's just three polygons struggling around!"
"Sorry you were eaten"
"I WAS? I PAID $10 FOR THIS?"

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 10:48:40 PM »
Quote:
"looking with the right c stick? .. or looking with the right c stick"

That there says to me you are asking the same thing.  Either way, I play with walking and strafing assigned to the left control stick.  The c stick is good for turning and looking up and down.  The up and down HAVE to be reversed though.  I can't stand pressing up, and having it look up in a first person perspective.  I find it very disorienting.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 11:37:05 PM »
I alwaaaaaaaays die
and my friends laughing at me

I can't aaim
i point the thing and click the button and they don't dieeeeeeeeeeeeeee : (((((((

--BoWWman--  

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2004, 11:48:55 PM »
I play mine on the computer where they belong

--BoWWman--  
OUT OF DATE.

Offline Dasmos

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2004, 12:30:29 AM »
Are you saying Goldeneye deserves to be on a computer? Or even Perfect Dark! I wouldn't have even glanced at these title if they were on PC.........

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2004, 12:46:42 AM »
Yes I'm an elitist PC gamer I guess. Atleast Perfect Dark would have been able to maintain a decent framerate

--BoWWman--  
OUT OF DATE.

Offline Dasmos

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2004, 12:52:02 AM »
I guess for me it wouldn't feel the same..................not taking anything away for PC's

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2004, 01:11:45 AM »
Rare and Microsoft should port Perfect Dark over to PC and give me a new PC to play it on. ;__;

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2004, 08:58:40 AM »
I'm still used to the Goldeneye/PD control scheme.  By moving forward and strafing at the same time, I could move around corners with great ease.  I could actually 'turn' around the corner, rather than move around corner and turn.  It's not that I hate the modern control scheme, I'd just prefer having strafing mapped to other buttons (like C-buttons), instead of on the main stick.  

Offline savanna03

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2004, 10:55:18 AM »
during the N64 era, the GOLDENEYE/PERFECT DARK set up was the bomb.  it was perfect because you use the analog for moving foward/backward and turning while the digital for looking up/down and strafing.  but in the GCN era, it setup feel inferior because of the dual analog.  its better to use the left analog for moving forward/backward and strafing while the right analog for looking up/down and turning.  the reason for this because its better to use the right analog to control the camera, aka the gun.
even in the message board, ppl seem 2 be intimidated by me.  it feels like im da slim shady him self 'cuz they had 2 use a microscope everytime i post...  blah they got nothing on me other than attacking my paragraphs...

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2004, 11:25:04 AM »
As close as possible to the N64 Goldeneye.  Otherwise the lease third partys can do is create something smaller than a keyboard with just the necessary buttons for fps.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline bowwman

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2004, 05:49:29 PM »
"Quote:
"looking with the right c stick? .. or looking with the right c stick"

That there says to me you are asking the same thing"

woops .. Im an idiot ... totally thought I had that right .. heh ...  BAH well you know what I meant .. but so what you guys are saying is ... FPS on consoles should have controller options .. right? ... right?? ... I totally agree ... if you want a certain game to feature these options, please email your opinions to the makers ... this is your "golden" oportunity ... cause with out these options, a game might SUCK! ... yes ... it might .... how do I know? .... trust me .. I know ... so .. if you EArnestly want a good game ... tell them ... soon ...

--BoWWman--

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2004, 07:58:41 PM »
I find it much easier to lock on to my targets and burn them down with a BOOM cannon. After the first-person setup in Metroid Prime every otehr first-person game on this planet suffers.  You can't scan in Goldeneye.  Nor can you SEE the HEAT.  True Story.

- GrAyLaN
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2004, 09:20:32 PM »
I play my FPS's with the Hori digital pad and sitting upside down with a wavebird.

- GrAyLaN GrAyLaN GrAyLaN
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2004, 05:41:52 AM »
I suppose from all the rEAlly subtle hints here I should bug EA on principle, but I don't want to touch that particular FPS with a 30 foot pole anyway, plus I'm super-lazy.  As for playing my FPS, personally I usually conform to the default scheme so I don't have to mess around all the time...but I agree that having the option to change it is important.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline bonestormer

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2004, 07:35:51 AM »
Ideally, I play FPS games with a mouse. You get MUCh better aiming percision that way.

But on a controller I perfer the 'Turok' method to the 'GE' style.

I think some are confused on the differances. In both 'strafe' are mapped to buttons. The difference is looking/aiming up/down. In GE that's mapped to buttons too, where as in the Turok style that's part of the control stick. So in Turok style the stick looks around while the buttons move you around (similar to the PC mouse setup).

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2004, 10:22:02 AM »
Hail the trackball.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.