Author Topic: Oh Em Gee iPhone 4 yay!11  (Read 35974 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: Oh Em Gee iPhone 4 yay!11
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 01:49:57 PM »
I just wanted to make the thread first.

Now it's BlackNMild's thread.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2010, 12:17:02 AM »
That's weak dude. You're on my Wii friend list too...I think.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 01:06:13 AM »
Brandogg do you honestly believe that removable storage is better than high capacity on board storage?
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 01:49:04 AM »
Brandogg honestly believes that any feature Apple doesn't implement in its devices is absolutely necessary.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 02:03:51 AM »
I just wanted to make the thread first.

Now it's BlackNMild's thread.

Awwww. He who giveth then taketh away.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 01:18:11 PM »
Actually, that was MegaByte.  He outranks me.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 03:23:44 PM »
Brandogg do you honestly believe that removable storage is better than high capacity on board storage?
Yes, I do think it's better. Sure it'll cost more in the end (for a while, but not long, and having both options is the best solution) - but it lets you use a single storage card for so many different things (your phone, your laptop, schoolwork, etc), it also makes transferring data to/from the phone with your PC much simpler, so you wouldn't need iTunes or some other hula-hoop software. This is where (another area) the Droid Incredible still has a leg up on the iPhone - it has 8GB (might even be 8.5GB) onboard storage, and includes (don't know if it still does but it did at launch) another 8GB MicroSD card, which of course you could easily upgrade to 16GB, 32GB, or higher if you wanted. Say your iPhone completely dies (drop it in the toilet or something) - you're fucked if you didn't have everything backed up on iTunes, but if you had removable memory, you could simply transfer your card to a new phone.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 03:28:41 PM »
But iTunes automatically backs everything up every time you sync the device, so the likelihood of not having a backup is very low unless you're like me, and you went into Terminal and turned that off and have to manually back it up, which I often forget to do.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 08:19:25 PM »
Using removable storage to put music and videos on your phone is just as easy and simple as using iTunes. Plus, that frees up space on my "single storage card."
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010, 08:43:15 PM »
I'm just waiting for cloud syncing of music. I'm surprised we didn't hear anything about cloud stuff from Apple at WWDC, considering the recent changes to statuses in MobileMe and the fact that they still haven't said anything about that North Carolina facility.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2010, 09:12:15 AM »
How is it easier than using iTunes? To use iTunes, you need to...install iTunes...on every computer that you plan on using with your iPhone. To use a microSD card you need to install...absolutely nothing. You do of course need a memory card reader (most computers have one built in nowadays), but that's no more pain-in-the-ass than carrying around your USB cable. You also have the ability to have as much storage as you like, since you can use more than one card.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2010, 10:05:59 AM »
Three just announced they will be selling iPhone 4, so that means all 5 of the big networks here will handle it. Apple exclusivity  has long gone now, so that should mean it won't be so pricey.

SHOULD.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:11:01 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2010, 02:18:11 PM »
How is it easier than using iTunes? To use iTunes, you need to...install iTunes...on every computer that you plan on using with your iPhone. To use a microSD card you need to install...absolutely nothing. You do of course need a memory card reader (most compute rs have one built in nowadays), but that's no more pain-in-the-ass than carrying ar ound your USB cable. You also have the ability to have as much storage as you like, since you can use more than one card.

That's not an issue, because you can only sync an iPhone with one computer. I suppose that could be limiting for some people, but it never has for me. I also prefer having iTunes because, since it's my primary media player on my computer, syncing it with my iPhone/iPad automatically keeps all my playlists and sorting.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2010, 12:06:14 PM »
How is it easier than using iTunes? To use iTunes, you need to...install iTunes...on every computer that you plan on using with your iPhone. To use a microSD card you need to install...absolutely nothing. You do of course need a memory card reader (most compute rs have one built in nowadays), but that's no more pain-in-the-ass than carrying ar ound your USB cable. You also have the ability to have as much storage as you like, since you can use more than one card.

That's not an issue, because you can only sync an iPhone with one computer. I suppose that could be limiting for some people, but it never has for me. I also prefer having iTunes because, since it's my primary media player on my computer, syncing it with my iPhone/iPad automatically keeps all my playlists and sorting.

Plus, all Macs come with iTunes pre-installed, so for Apple fans, that's no problem. Also, I don't about you guys, but I know enough with iPhones or iPods, so that if I was at somebody's house, there'd be an extra cable lying around somewhere.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2010, 04:52:48 AM »
Yes, I do think it's better. Sure it'll cost more in the end (for a while, but not long, and having both options is the best solution) - but it lets you use a single storage card for so many different things (your phone, your laptop, schoolwork, etc), it also makes transferring data to/from the phone with your PC much simpler, so you wouldn't need iTunes or some other hula-hoop software. This is where (another area) the Droid Incredible still has a leg up on the iPhone - it has 8GB (might even be 8.5GB) onboard storage, and includes (don't know if it still does but it did at launch) another 8GB MicroSD card, which of course you could easily upgrade to 16GB, 32GB, or higher if you wanted. Say your iPhone completely dies (drop it in the toilet or something) - you're fucked if you didn't have everything backed up on iTunes, but if you had removable memory, you could simply transfer your card to a new phone.
I have 1.2 gigs of apps on my iphone. Either I'd have to have less to cram them on the pitiful Evo phone or carry a dedicated App SD card. Either solution sucks arse. Sure I could have a droid and experience the fun of a non unified OS like a communist sympathising linux user. Maybe I'm jsut a slave to the hassle of plugging in my phone, and having my emails, contacts, songs, apps, operating system and photos sync up with the touch of a button while it charges. Such an ordeal.
I'm just waiting for cloud syncing of music. I'm surprised we didn't hear anything about cloud stuff from Apple at WWDC, considering the recent changes to statuses in MobileMe and the fact that they still haven't said anything about that North Carolina facility.
Apple are just biding time till it's all just right. If you goto their site the AppleTV is practically buried and they're looking for an easier way to choose a movie to rent from itunes while you ride the train home and be able to watch it on your tv when you walk in the door. 2012.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2010, 05:42:22 AM »
Exactly. There's a reason the phrase "It just works." is associated with Apple.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2010, 10:44:40 PM »
I have 1.2 gigs of apps on my iphone. Either I'd have to have less to cram them on the pitiful Evo phone or carry a dedicated App SD card. Either solution sucks arse. Sure I could have a droid and experience the fun of a non unified OS like a communist sympathising linux user. Maybe I'm jsut a slave to the hassle of plugging in my phone, and having my emails, contacts, songs, apps, operating system and photos sync up with the touch of a button while it charges. Such an ordeal.
Apparently you've never used another phone, since they're are apps available for Windows Mobile and Android that will do all of this as well. I don't understand how the Evo is pitiful (other than being locked to Sprint, and again, I think it's too big) though. Also just because Android is open source doesn't mean it's non-unified. Android is still Android, it's just customizable. The thing is when that 16GB runs out (and if everyone uses the almighty iPhone as much as they claim to, that won't take too long - especially now with it's "retina display" so everyone will be using 960x640 movies), then you need to start deleting/swapping on your computer, etc. With a removable storage setup, you can just install a 32GB, 64GB, or 128GB card from the get-go and have much more "wiggle room." But anyway, I don't plan on changing your opinion, and there's no way you're changing mine, so this is all getting a little silly. Let's just agree that we like Nintendo and be friends, okay?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2010, 03:23:16 AM »
The EVO screen only seems too big at first, then you get used to it and all the other screen seems cheap and made for children.....

Is this what happens to PS3/360 fanboys towards Wii owners.... I feel disgusted with myself. I'm gonna go take a shower.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2010, 04:53:50 PM »
The Android platform is pretty fractured. Updates to the OS don't happen across the board causing some apps to work on some devices and not on others. That's the problem with an open platform.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2010, 10:36:02 PM »
That's mainly (completely) due to the service providers though. Once you root an Android phone, you can  basically upgrade it as you please.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2010, 12:13:22 AM »
That's true, but it's one of those things like with the iPhone, where people will say it doesn't have features you can get through jailbraking because you have to jail break to get them. I mean, "average" users wouldn't know to do either, but they wouldn't be arguing over an internet forum either. :^/

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2010, 08:46:47 PM »
Dammit, I've been trying all day to preorder this on Apple's site, but I can never get through the process. It must be really swamped.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2010, 09:54:34 PM »
Unlike Apple's actual products, their online store certainly does not "just work."

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2010, 11:49:46 PM »
Any server is gonna crash with the amount of traffic it gets on pre-order day.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2010, 01:05:44 AM »
I think I finally got it. I got an order confirmation page that said "Thank You" and gave me an order number, but that was a few hours ago and I still haven't received a confirmation email. It's probably just because the system's all backed up, but after all the trouble I went through I'm a little worried that there could still be hassles.

J.P. Corbran