Author Topic: Wrestling discussion  (Read 111360 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Wrestling discussion
« Reply #275 on: March 30, 2012, 03:08:14 PM »
I think what could happen is someone (Miz?) might interfere in the match and ruin it so that the issue is unresolved, and then they can drag it out into another PPV and make even more money.
is your sanity...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 31, 2012, 11:26:47 PM »
Brock Lesnar and Batista are both in Miami...rumor has it that Brock signed a 1 year deal today...
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 01, 2012, 07:50:36 PM »
I demand that Sheamus and Daniel Bryan have a real match tonight after that abomination earlier. It'll be a real shame if the Divas match lasts longer. No one cares about that match.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 01, 2012, 10:10:10 PM »
Been watching uninterrupted on an incredible Sopcast stream since it started. Pretty great show besides the first match (I predicted it would be something like that, but it happened so fast I turned my back and then heard the bell). Got the laptop hooked up to the TV now for the Rock/Cena match, Cena's intro is pretty terrible...

Edit - and that's what 78,000+ boos sound like...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 10:13:11 PM by Brandogg »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #279 on: April 01, 2012, 10:13:43 PM »
WWE gipped Sheamus=Bryan again. Last year their US Title match got bumped off the main card onto the pre-show, and this year the match was shorter than the entrances for them?

A little surprised at the divas match. The IC Title match had the winner I expected it to have, but not how I expected. Awesome HIAC match, both Undertaker and HHH gave it their all and it showed in one of the best matches of the year so far.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 01, 2012, 10:30:52 PM »
Undertaker vs. HHH was the best match so far.

I'm still curious what the hell the point of Chris Jericho returning was. He's 0-3 in PPV matches since coming back in January. Losing the Rumble was kind of lame, but it's especially lame now since the Sheamus match was less than 20 seconds long. The storyline potential of the Royal Rumble and the road to Wrestlemania was wasted on a non-match. Who is writing these shows? Jericho's return has been completely botched. Daniel Bryan gets buried. AND they wasted Sheamus in the most anticipated PPV of the year. Maria Menounos had more ring time than Bryan and Sheamus combined. /facepalm

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #281 on: April 01, 2012, 10:44:05 PM »
Jericho said in interviews that he wanted to come back to help put Punk over. He is not back full time, he is doing this because he has a break in-between tours with Fozzy (he said so much in a interview). He has an "out" with the Elimination Chamber since he was never actually defeated, and the Royal Rumble match is different than others.

I am annoyed that the WHC match was so short, I assume they will do a re-match at Extreme Rules (they usually do for the world title matches) but that doesn't change anything.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 01, 2012, 10:57:41 PM »
Fuuuuuuuccckkkk yeeeeaaaaahhhh! They got that one right!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 01, 2012, 11:12:07 PM »
Tomorrow night's RAW should be pretty epic, probably Smackdown as well. A-Train (or Lord Tensai) should be returning...and possibly Brock Lesnar and Batista as well...should be good stuff.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #284 on: April 01, 2012, 11:16:19 PM »
Batista is unlikely, he was in Miami for a benefits event to help a hospital. I am interested if the rumors of A-Train returning to WWE are true.

I don't like the result of Rock-Cena, unless the rumors of them doing a best of three series at SummerSlam and WrestleMania XXIX end up true

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 01, 2012, 11:24:19 PM »
Well one good thing is that Cena was at least doing some "heel-like" maneuvers, like crawling out of the ring and trying to do the People's Elbow. I doubt it will change anything...but I liked it. I will probably be wrong, but I think the outcome means that The Rock isn't going to just completely disappear for some time, though I'm sure his appearances will be sporadic.

Overall I was quite pleased with at least the outcomes of all of the matches, especially Kane vs Orton and Rock vs Cena. I think the Sheamus/Bryan match quickness was done so people will forget this feud...I'm expecting (if he actually returns) Brock Lesnar to attack Sheamus.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 11:26:56 PM by Brandogg »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 01, 2012, 11:30:13 PM »
Jericho said in interviews that he wanted to come back to help put Punk over.
Jericho can say whatever he wants in interviews but he still doesn't write the shows. And Punk is over and has been over for quite some time now. He didn't need Jericho to do that. I suppose my problem with their storyline is how poorly handled it has been. The WWE hypes up these End of the World videos then Jericho comes back and loses a bunch of times. He had no momentum and just looked weak going into Wrestlemania. I didn't think for a second that Jericho had a chance of winning. I would have been more surprised if Jericho got a clean win, mostly because I'm used to him losing cleanly or winning by cheating. Is this the end of their storyline? If so, it could have been so much more. I wish Jericho had some momentum going into the match (namely winning the Rumble) then lost which is what I suggested in this thread 2 months ago. If not, can they really drag this out more? We all know wrestling is scripted. What makes it interesting is not expecting a winner. I feel like it's the writers' responsibility to make sure that happens.

Anyway, I liked the Cena/Rock match. I was actually undecided over who would win. Despite being in Miami, Cena is Cena and I'm used to seeing him pull off victories out of no where. I'm kind of surprised he didn't win the match then get rewarded a title belt of some kind for the hell of it. Then, have Lesnar come out and have Cena pin him too. In all seriousness, it was a good match and they did a good job keeping me on my toes. I thought Cena might actually pull off the upset.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 01, 2012, 11:34:48 PM »
I just think it's so stupid whenever Cena is referred to as an underdog. He's fucking massive, and he's a 12-time world champion, and his win-loss record is probably up there with Hulk Hogan, Curt Hennig, etc. In fact, I can only think of 13 times when he has lost - each time he has lost the title, and tonight.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #288 on: April 01, 2012, 11:39:54 PM »
By put over, I mean to help him by defeating an established star. Jericho is one of the most recognizable names from the Attitude era and he and WWE had to work hard to actually gets fans to boo him.

I think many people saw Punk-Jericho a toss-up, with it being possible that Punk's rage would cost him the match, leading to Punk winning the title back at Extreme Rules (which will be in the Chicago area). I am glad Punk won though.

BTW, Cena is now 63-32-1 on PPV. He is the 4th longest reigning WWE Champion of all time with 10 reigns for 1,059 days (unlikely to ever get higher than 4th since 3rd place is Bob Backlund at 2,091 days).

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 01, 2012, 11:50:36 PM »
Actually I forgot I saw Cena lose (live in person!) at WM25 (triple threat with HHH and RKO). There was a period when I actually stopped wrestling, when Goldberg was in WWE, Cena was new (and a heel, I believe), so I probably missed most of his PPV losses.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 01, 2012, 11:56:56 PM »
By put over, I mean to help him by defeating an established star. Jericho is one of the most recognizable names from the Attitude era and he and WWE had to work hard to actually gets fans to boo him.
Didn't he beat Cena twice cleanly last year? And aren't there rumors of Austin coming back for a match against Punk? If that's the case, I still don't get it. You really can't get much bigger than a win against Austin though maybe the WWE just can't resist giving Austin the win.
I think many people saw Punk-Jericho a toss-up, with it being possible that Punk's rage would cost him the match, leading to Punk winning the title back at Extreme Rules (which will be in the Chicago area). I am glad Punk won though.
I like Punk and I don't mind him winning but I think it would have meant more if Jericho looked stronger. The writers failed in building drama. That pre-match stipulation could and should have been established sooner. Jericho should have been playing these mind games far sooner than the last 2 weeks. With the way the writers have handled their feud so far, I felt like it would have made more sense for Jericho to win tonight then have Punk regain the title at a later date where the feud is taken to greater heights. I wasn't a fan of the build up. It took too long to really get going.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 01, 2012, 11:59:22 PM »
I agree Jericho should have had more wins going in, but it was a great match. Jericho had the upper hand most of the time, but I liked the ending.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 12:03:29 AM by Brandogg »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #292 on: April 02, 2012, 12:03:42 AM »
Depends on how you define "cleanly". At Money in the Bank, Cena was distracted by stopping Vince McMahon and John Laurnitis from ringing the bell and screwing Punk.

Punk and Austin have been teasing a WrestleMania match on Twitter. I think Punk beating Austin would help boost him even more.

I think the writers hoped that Jericho wanting to prove he was better would be enough, then saw it wasn't and decided to change gears by having Jericho go after Punk's family. I think they have made Jericho look fine in matches and this was more psychological since Jericho got under Punk's skin more than anyone else ever has.

I agree with Brandogg, the last 5 minutes of the match was great. ESPECIALLY the ending.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 02, 2012, 12:12:55 AM »
Jericho catching the Hurricanranna (or Frankensteiner) and turning it into the Walls of Jericho was pretty awesome.

On a side note though, the best counter I've ever seen was HBK giving Shelton Benjamin Sweet Chin Music after he leaped across the entire ring.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #294 on: April 02, 2012, 12:16:23 AM »
I don't know, I like Randy Orton hitting the RKO on Evan Bourne after a Air Bourne attempt.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 02, 2012, 12:20:47 AM »
Yeah that was awesome too.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 02, 2012, 12:23:00 AM »
Yeah, I liked the match. I just never expected Jericho to win which is where I think the feud faltered. I wonder where Jericho goes fom here. His feud with Punk is basically over and the whole Best in the World/End of the World thing was pretty much the reasoning behind his return. Are they going to try to fudge it and have him continue to go after Punk? That's lame AND lazy.

Punk should have beaten Triple H last year (without that stipulation of Triple H quitting) but Triple H puts talent over about as often... Almost never.

And that HBK/Shelton Benjamin match was my favorite Raw match ever. That counter was a-mazing. I need to look up that Orton/Bourne match.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #297 on: April 02, 2012, 12:27:21 AM »
Punk should have beaten Triple H last year (without that stipulation of Triple H quitting) but Triple H puts talent over about as often... Almost never.

Kevin Nash gave a good interview as to why that feud happened anyways (short answer is that WWE doctors found that the blood thinner meds Nash takes to make sure he doesn't have a heart attack like his dad did at 38 prevented him from being medically cleared in time). Triple H does put over people a lot actually. Remember when he cleanly lost to Cena at WrestleMania? Or how Batista pretty much beat him in every match? Benoit also cleanly beat him on consecutive matches. I go add more examples too.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 02, 2012, 12:37:35 AM »
That's all well and good but I wasn't talking anout Nash. Punk should have beat Triplr H, especially if the WWE was trying to put Punk over on established talent. Triple H was one of the biggest stars of the Attitude era. I'm not going to list all of the people Triple H has bulldozed on his way to his 435 title reigns. He apparently has final say on his win/loss record. Unless it's a big time wrestler (like Undertaker), you can expect Triple H to win.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 12:41:24 AM by Adrock »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #299 on: April 02, 2012, 12:41:23 AM »
You can say that about any top star. How was Rock winning helpful to anyone but him? Triple H's win-loss record, especially on PPV, is not that great actually. He has won about 54% of his PPV matches.