Author Topic: Tangram Style Review  (Read 798 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Tangram Style Review
« on: September 01, 2013, 04:04:52 PM »

Insert PSY reference here.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/35284

You’ve all played Tangram before. It’s a simple game in which you take seven shapes—two big triangles, one medium triangle, two small triangles, one square, and one parallelogram—and arrange them into a certain configuration to match the shape you’re given. It’s basically a Chinese geometry puzzle. The Nintendo 3DS eShop game, Tangram Style, is that exact same game, but given an Aztec flair. You’re given a shape on the top screen, and you arrange the shapes on the lower screen.

It’s not rocket science, but Tangrams can be difficult. Sometimes a certain shape just isn’t clicking and you have to put it aside, other times you can whiz through several in a row. Tangram Style offers four modes: Classic, One-Touch, Child, and Challenge. All provide subtle variations: Classic is, obviously straight Tangram. One-Touch mode doesn’t let you shift pieces around once you’ve played them, Child mode actually outlines where the Tangram pieces are supposed to go (in crayon!), and Challenge mode asks you to solve as many Tangrams as possible within a set time limit.

When you solve a certain number of puzzles, you’ll be rewarded with a Tiki totem which has little purpose other than to commemorate your ability to solve Tangrams.

There’s not a lot to look at—the blocks have a rocky texture about them, and the background is decidedly jungle-themed. There isn’t a musical score—which makes me happy—but instead, you’ll hear the ambient noises of the Amazon rainforest. It doesn’t really add to the game, but I like hearing birds whistle, so I didn’t mind it. There can be some niggling problems with block placement—the game doesn’t always do a great job of knowing when your piece is accidentally hovering over another piece (so it doesn’t register as solved) but you can usually remedy this problem (when it occurs) by re-placing the block.

The game lives and dies by how much you, personally, like the game of Tangram. I had a physical Tangram game when I was little, but even then, I could take it or leave it, which is pretty much how I feel now. It’s a nice distraction, but nothing I’d go out of my way for. But if you like Tangrams, then by all means, this is the digital version to beat.

This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Tangram Style Review
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 09:49:40 PM »
It was O.K............
Made you look ****.

Offline Chariblaze

• Score: 2
    • View Profile