Author Topic: Revolution Name Announced!  (Read 86210 times)

Offline Robageejammin

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Revolution Name Announced!
« Reply #150 on: April 27, 2006, 03:39:22 PM »
Seriously though, isn't there anything Wii can do? Lets do something. This is the biggest Nintendo site out there! Jonny? any ideas?
"Luigi is the dreamy, comical poster boy of the Smash series, and everywhere he goes his slightly awkward presence is felt."
- Sakurai

Offline Jin-X

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Revolution Name Announced!
« Reply #151 on: April 27, 2006, 03:44:22 PM »
Start "Wii want revolution" chants at the press conference, and "Wii sucks", "F**k Wii" ala how fellow wrestling fans voice their dislike of Cena.

Offline NW

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2006, 03:46:50 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
Artimus.

Are you serious?  Cuz if so, I don't even know how to respond.
It's like, if I named my child Orange, and my parents and wife and friends hated my child because it was named Orange.  It's stupid, senseless, and immature.

I don't think that'd work. It'd be more like:

"If I named my child Orange, my parents and wife and friends would sympathize for the kid but hate ME for choosing a ridiculous name."

Edit: Although "Orange" does sound like a cool name. The Nintendo Orange... I could dig it.
vwoot

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 27, 2006, 03:53:41 PM »
I think the name only works in French where Wii sounds like "oui" which means "yes."  So it'd be the Nintendo Yes in all the francophone countries, which isn't that bad of a name.  Wiill, it is a bad name, but it's leagues better than Wii.

And I lol'ed at the person who said 'small WiiWiis.'  That was funny.

edit: wtf, why does w-e-l-l show up as wiill?
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 27, 2006, 03:56:56 PM »
"Wii want revolution"

Ironic...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 27, 2006, 04:04:37 PM »
I think once the marketting campaign sets in, people will get used to the name.
The slogans just write themselves:

Wii have the games you're looking for
Wii are here to stay
Wii will rock you
Wii are the REVOLUTION

Just look at the press release that Wiint along with the announcement and you can see how much fun Nintendo itself plans on having with the name. People will get so used to thinking of "Wii" as a replacement for "Wii" that all the juvenile pee jokes will be forgotten.

Offline obscureownership

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 27, 2006, 04:05:05 PM »

"nigg4" is easy to remember, "f4g" is even easier to remember, will you name a product like that? will you really? yes Im exagerating of course, Wii isnt as bad as those, but I think you get my point

(added numbers because it didn't make much sense with the formating)

Im still trying to wrap my head around the name,

That is a dumb comparison because no one finds the word Wii offensive, whereas many people find the words nigga and fag extremely offensive. Maybe they might find it immature because they are dumb enough to make the connection of the sound "Wii" and urine jokes, but really, guys, come on. Wii grew out of those long ago. Everyone wont care in a month anyways, but they sure will remember it, therefor it has done it's job quite Wiill.  
"we all no the revolutions gonna be worse than 360 and ps3 but hey its cheaper and i dont even think im gonna get any of them because i dont waste 400 bucks on sum crap that destroys your brain and cuts away from you guitar playing time!!!!!!!!!"

-A Review of the Wii by Cheese from Amazon dot

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 27, 2006, 04:05:50 PM »
Hey Johnny you could name the site www.Planetwiid.com it would be such a Parody

But seriously, the name itself doesn't bother me, I really want to play with my sexy sleek wii
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 27, 2006, 04:07:16 PM »
So why is the official name of the console now filtered out? That's just dumb.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 27, 2006, 04:24:46 PM »
Boy is that name artsy...

So, this name was reached by committee?

Mm-hmmm.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 27, 2006, 04:28:29 PM »

Originally posted by: obscureownership

"nigg4" is easy to remember, "f4g" is even easier to remember, will you name a product like that? will you really? yes Im exagerating of course, Wii isnt as bad as those, but I think you get my point

(added numbers because it didn't make much sense with the formating)

Im still trying to wrap my head around the name,

That is a dumb comparison because no one finds the word Wii offensive, whereas many people find the words nigga and fag extremely offensive. Maybe they might find it immature because they are dumb enough to make the connection of the sound "Wii" and urine jokes, but really, guys, come on. Wii grew out of those long ago. Everyone wont care in a month anyways, but they sure will remember it, therefor it has done it's job quite Wiill.

As I said, Im exaggerating, my point is not that wii is an offensive name, is that just because its easy to remember doesnt mean its a good name at all.

The name lacks appeal, urine jokes aside. Now add the jokes, and is a terrible name, they are inmature and stupid of course, but thats not going to fix the image the name carries.

I really need some info on games to get past this, E3 cant come soon enough!

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 27, 2006, 04:32:49 PM »
No, I don't really hate Nintendo.

But love or hate this name, you have to admit it does NOT help the system in the slightest. Ugh.

And once again, this does not fit the examples they keep mentioning (Amazon, iPod, Napster) because they're modifications of other words that DO NOT SOUND LIKE WORDS FOR PENIS AND PEE. And they're two syllables. Two syllables is VERY important in a name, just look at all the major brand names: at least two syllables (and can thus be abbreviated). Such as:

Coca-Cola
Pepsi
Nike
Amazon
Google
Apple
iPod
Intel
Sony
Panasonic
Adidas
Toyota
MTV
Virgin
Napster
iTunes

ETC!

But I think what bothers me most is that they KNOW no one likes it, they KNOW no one is going to like it, and they still do it anyway. If you have to convince people your NAME is good, it's not. It's not like a controller which actually has values to it, a name just sounds. This one sounds stupid and the reaction is justified. It's a mistake and they know they're making it. But they like the name, so we're supposed to too. The conceited Nintendo appears to have returned...

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 27, 2006, 04:35:29 PM »
So why is revolution.nintendo.com active and wii.nintendo.com not?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 27, 2006, 04:43:20 PM »
The reaction here really proves how mainstream gamers are now days, when has a name made games good or bad? People are acting like the Nintendo Wii will suck now that it has that name, um, frankly I find that quite immature. I don't care if you like the name or not, but to judge a system's quality based on a name is idiotic. This is probaly coming from people who openly embrace the Xbox which frankly has a terrible name when you look at it from an open perspective. My personal thoughts are that the name itself SOUNDS poor, but frankly the logo design has alot of potential of having a recognizable look similar to the Ipod, Imac etc.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Robageejammin

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 27, 2006, 04:45:47 PM »
voila

I think im gonna try to get Reggie to sign that tomorrow
"Luigi is the dreamy, comical poster boy of the Smash series, and everywhere he goes his slightly awkward presence is felt."
- Sakurai

Offline obscureownership

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2006, 04:47:34 PM »

Originally posted by: mantidor

As I said, Im exaggerating, my point is not that wii is an offensive name, is that just because its easy to remember doesnt mean its a good name at all.

The name lacks appeal, urine jokes aside. Now add the jokes, and is a terrible name, they are inmature and stupid of course, but thats not going to fix the image the name carries.

I really need some info on games to get past this, E3 cant come soon enough!

I was making the point that your comparison has nothing to do with my arugement. I was arguing that, in the world or marketing, the quality of something doesn't matter, just so long as it's easy to remember. If you study marketing at all, you come to realize that even if, say, a commercial is awfully annoying, and you just want to throw something at the TV, it's still done it's job of injecting the given product into your mind.  
"we all no the revolutions gonna be worse than 360 and ps3 but hey its cheaper and i dont even think im gonna get any of them because i dont waste 400 bucks on sum crap that destroys your brain and cuts away from you guitar playing time!!!!!!!!!"

-A Review of the Wii by Cheese from Amazon dot

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 27, 2006, 04:48:54 PM »

Originally posted by: Robageejammin
voila

I think im gonna try to get Reggie to sign that tomorrow

Lol that is actually funny .

Offline Velociraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 27, 2006, 04:51:22 PM »
OH MY GOD THEY NAMED IT SOMETHING UNEXPECTED AND NOT ACCEPTED BY INTERNET NERDS WHO SURELY MAKE UP 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999^% OF NINTENDO'S MARKET (WHICH EXPLAINS WHY GAMECUBE WAS #1 THIS GENERATION) BUT NOW IT IS DOOMED TO FAILURE GOD NINTENDO YOU KEEP SCREWING US

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 27, 2006, 04:51:29 PM »
ATTENTION: "PlayStation" is a stupid name.

It's a PlayStation.  A play station.  A station of play.  It's a place where you have to be stationed at, not to game, but to play.  It sounds like something you'd find in a day care or in a kindergarten class.

Man, who'd want to buy a game console called a "PlayStation"?  Parents would for their little kids, that's who.

You see my point?  Either people are just jaded when it comes to Nintendo, or silly names become normal once it's proven itself.  The Wii has a lot to prove, and it will do it at E3.

I'm going to E3.  I'm going to play on the Wii and its great games (which, BTW, aren't a worse experience because six-year-olds giggle and joke about the name).  Direct your hate to me.  Be jealous and envious of the joy I get of handling the Wii.  Then you'll see that it's all about the games, and that complaining about a stupid name is only going to make it worse.

Like I said, it's not my choice of a name, but seriously, it's a name.  Make all the excuses you want about first impressions and that mainstream gamers are probably going to hate on it more than you guys already do but if it delivers come E3, they can call it whatever the heck they want to and I'd buy it and you probably will too.

Offline Velociraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 27, 2006, 04:53:36 PM »
oh and also you're all stupid

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 27, 2006, 04:57:31 PM »
Jon, great points, I have to agree with you. When the smoke clears it will be accepted, I recall Gamecube getting blasted as well but people got used to it. As I stated previously, the name has a very futuristic look about it (not I said look, not sound), which has potential to distinguish itself. Gamers may have trouble saying the name, but I believe the packaging of the system will look stylish with a "cool" vibe about it, following in the footsteps of the hardware design.  

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #171 on: April 27, 2006, 05:05:00 PM »
Man, I go watch fireworks in Disney World for a night and I come back to this....

The first thing I thought when I read it was the Wi-Fi connection.....  I dunno, it sounds silly, but a name won't make or break nintendo.  If anyone out there thought that a fancy name could help change their image, they are wrong...  Even if they called it the Nintendo Panty Raider, the cool kids wouldn't buy it, and I don't think Nintendo cares about the cool kids.  (thankfully)
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Robageejammin

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 27, 2006, 05:06:36 PM »
I really dont think anyone here means that the actual gaming experience will be at all changed. I also think most of us can or already have gotten used to it. The fact of the matter is that the name makes no sense in the english language and will have a very poor appeal to non-"INTERNET NERDS WHO SURELY MAKE UP 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999^% OF NINTENDO'S MARKET". Of course E3 will blow us away, its just the concern that people out of the loop won't even give it a chance.
- Sakurai

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 27, 2006, 05:06:59 PM »
"But love or hate this name, you have to admit it does NOT help the system in the slightest. Ugh."

I dunno.  I'm going to wait and see.

"Two syllables is VERY important in a name, just look at all the major brand names: at least two syllables"

So Nintendo is being different from all of their predecessors.  How's that bad?  It can only garner more attention.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 27, 2006, 05:09:52 PM »
Being different not always guarantees success, and lets face it, Nintendo hasnt been the best in the marketing department for a very long time, its hard to put any hopes that this will do well.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro