Author Topic: Revolution Name Announced!  (Read 86208 times)

Offline Michael8983

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Revolution Name Announced!
« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2006, 01:19:04 PM »
The Nintendo Wii Console or "WiiCon" for short?

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2006, 01:21:34 PM »

I'm thinking that maybe if it wasn't just one syllable it would work better. What if they went with something like WiiMachine? Do you think iPod would catch on if it was just i? Ignoring the pee issue there's the issue with "we" mangling up our speech. But if it's WiiMachine or WiiTube or WiiPad or WiiBot or something like that it's more comfortable to say as a noun. And then it sounds more like it's "we" instead of "wee". They can use the same marketing "Wii will rock you" strategy as well.

Oh, I'm already going to be reffering to the system as the wii machine from now on (thanks to noa_rufus). But I'm not sure that that or any of your other examples would work well as an official name...they just sound kind of strange in that context.

Maybe Wii Entertainment System...  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
RE:Revolution Name Announced!
« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2006, 01:37:02 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
Wiimote, obviously.

That's only half wiitarded.

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2006, 01:41:47 PM »
I can already tell that once people get over the initial shock, they are going to really have fun with this name.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2006, 01:42:53 PM »
Yeah, at Nintendo's expense.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2006, 02:06:13 PM »
I don't like it...

Well I'll give them that the name is universal... it universally sucks.

NCL probably picked this name (despite any PR suggesting otherwise).

I mean the Japanese language has all these short sounds, what is this in Japanese?

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2006, 02:08:18 PM »
Matt and I have had some chats while he was still at Capcom, and seeing him tap-dance around the issue must have been difficult for him, because he's always been a pretty straight shooter.

Note the following quote from the interview ...

"Once you touch the Revolution, this will make more sense."

He didn't say Wii ... because he KNEW what the response would be.  When you have to dance around and watch your wording, you've made a terrible decision.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2006, 02:10:24 PM »
Wow! Look at that ad!

All right, this place must be hot. They don't need a big ad, or even correct spelling.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2006, 02:27:05 PM »
I detest the iPod, Yahoo and Google comparison. Why? It's absolutely irrelevant.

Pod = word
Google = variant of googol, which suits a search enginge perfectly
Yahoo = word

Wii is not a word. Pod, Google and Yahoo are not synonyms for small, pee and penis. Nintendo knows this is bad and they know it's a mistake. SO WHY ARE THEY DOING IT?

Ugh, months of building good news and it all falls apart two weeks before E3. UGH. I hate Nintendo for this, HATE them.

And I have a suggestion for a new site name: PlanetPS360.

EDIT: Not to mention Amazon and Virgin are ALSO words. And Napster sounds like Rapster and, again, doesn't mean piss.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2006, 02:32:32 PM »
"Note the following quote from the interview ...

'Once you touch the Revolution, this will make more sense.'

He didn't say Wii ... because he KNEW what the response would be. When you have to dance around and watch your wording, you've made a terrible decision."

I didn't even notice that.  That's hilarious.

I can always tell when a Nintendo rep obviously doesn't like what he's talking about.  The wording is usually more stiff.  You can tell they're spouting off what their boss told them to.  There's a lot of canned answers and repetition.  Case in point when they were talking about the horrible DS launch lineup the vibe those interviews gave off is the same vibe I get for this one.  But when a rep is talking about Twilight Princess or their new Wi-Fi strategy it seems more legitimate.  The answers seem more casual and there's more enthusiasm.  It is always easier to talk about something you yourself are interested in.  As a wrestling fan it has become obvious to me when someone actually likes what they're talking about and when someone is being a shill.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2006, 02:33:24 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
Wiimote, obviously.

Sounds like a baby trying to say "remote".
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2006, 02:34:26 PM »
I went to joystiq.com and I saw a post called "The Wii, in comic form"  I though it was some stupid WWII slang

Then when I saw it was the Rev's name, I thought of that stupid Intel viiv thing.  If the Revolution had an Intel CPU it could be called the wiiviiv

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2006, 02:39:16 PM »
At the very least if they HAD to have the 'ii' they could've chosen a divverent name. Even Vii is better than Wii. Ugh. I feel sick.

NINTENDO SUCKS.

Ian was right...

Offline NW

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2006, 02:39:41 PM »

Originally posted by: Shecky

I mean the Japanese language has all these short sounds, what is this in Japanese?

"We"

a = "ah"  e = "a" i = "e" o = "oh" u = "ooh"

I dislike the name. It sounds like they took the f out of wifi and just went with that. For a company that wants to promote themselves to non-gamers and casual gamers, using a name that would be better used for a cartoon character seems to be the wrong choice. I've seen some "at least it's more original than XBox or PS3!" comments around the net, but at least those names didn't sound so...not cool.

There's also the "IT'S JUST A NAME!" crowd. Of course it's just a name, and a name means everything in the market. You're going to buy the Wii because you already know how cool it's going to be. The non-gamers/casual gamers will look at the name and not know what to think.  I'm really hoping that they'll switch it back to the Revolution, or at least some other small name that isn't as out there as Wii. (There's AWESOME out there, and "wtf?" out there. In this case, it's the latter.)

Also as of now, I have dubbed the console the Lil' NW, for it is the Nintendo Wii.
vwoot

Offline Cap

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 27, 2006, 02:49:24 PM »
i think its official....

"wii" all agree that the name sucks.

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2006, 02:55:18 PM »
I can just see it now..."Nintendo fans have little 'wiiwii's...."  Thank you Nintendo for making me defend you a lot harder than it already is...LOL

Well, there goes the shedding of the I LOVE HALO 2 image...it is simply going to be near impossible.  However, maybe after a week, WII will all be singing praises of WII.  WTF am I talking about.

NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2006, 02:59:43 PM »
"Nintendo fans have little 'wiiwii's...."

If anyone somehow uses this, I don't think I could even type up a response...I'd be too busy laughing at the person who said such a stupid thing...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2006, 03:03:30 PM »
Heh, should have just dropped the W and called it the "Nintendo E" (the E is for Everyone)

Offline Guitar Smasher

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2006, 03:13:38 PM »
The worst part is that they recognize the issue with the name.  This reminds me a bit of Canadian Reform Alliance Party (C.R.A.P.).   However, in their defense, they were unaware of the problem until it was too late.  At least they had the balls to change thier name.  

Offline obscureownership

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2006, 03:16:42 PM »
Wow, that's different. Anyhow, I'm not disappointed in the name, so much as the community reaction here. Let me lay down a fact about marketing for you guys: it doesn't matter if the name is terrible, irritating, and stupid. The most important part about it is that it's easy to remember. If it gets any attention at all, it's done it's job extremely well.

But I guess that doesn't matter just so long as you look extremely manly to everyone, right?
"we all no the revolutions gonna be worse than 360 and ps3 but hey its cheaper and i dont even think im gonna get any of them because i dont waste 400 bucks on sum crap that destroys your brain and cuts away from you guitar playing time!!!!!!!!!"

-A Review of the Wii by Cheese from Amazon dot

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 27, 2006, 03:18:07 PM »

Originally posted by: Shecky
Heh, should have just dropped the W and called it the "Nintendo E" (the E is for Everyone)

When you say it straight out, "Nintendo Wii" doesn't sound much different from Nintendo-E, actually.

"We are the knights who play Wii"...heh heh...

Now maybe it's because I wasted my work day reading all the angry responses on revolutionreport.com (I much prefer here, but I can't access it at work...stupid WebSense) that I'm tired of all the hating and am actually accepting the name.  (Not like we have a choice.)

In comparison, "PlayStation" is childish (come on, it's a station for play, think about it, say it like two words over and over and you'll agree) and "Xbox" is either something sexual or so "X-treme" that it's such a parody of itself.  If you think "wee" is sexual you're probably a six-year-old.  "Hee hee, he's playing with his Wii!"  Yeah, shut up.

Yeah, Wii wouldn't have been a name I'd chosen myself.  I'm sure everyone got used to the "Revolution" but I really think all this hating is really a waste of time an energy.  Go throw it into a petition, see if that makes a difference.  I doubt it.

If Wii affects perception, so be it.  But everyone's going to call Nintendo consoles "Nintendo" anyway and I'm sure it's still about the games and how to play them and the name of it doesn't change it.

I'm going to E3 myself in less than two weeks and I will gladly play with some Wii.  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2006, 03:33:08 PM »
Artimus.

Are you serious?  Cuz if so, I don't even know how to respond.
It's like, if I named my child Orange, and my parents and wife and friends hated my child because it was named Orange.  It's stupid, senseless, and immature.

As good ol' Billy once said:
"What's in a name?  That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

So smell the friggin Wiis.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Jin-X

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2006, 03:33:28 PM »
The bottom line is that the name they had before is much better, so why change it.

"But I guess that doesn't matter just so long as you look extremely manly to everyone, right?"

Yes in the US thats very important and will hurt the Revolution, because like I said, this isn't about us, wii'll get it whatever its called, but this is a big image problem that has a very good chance of hurting sales where as the name Revolution doesn't.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2006, 03:35:04 PM »

Originally posted by: obscureownership
Wow, that's different. Anyhow, I'm not disappointed in the name, so much as the community reaction here. Let me lay down a fact about marketing for you guys: it doesn't matter if the name is terrible, irritating, and stupid. The most important part about it is that it's easy to remember. If it gets any attention at all, it's done it's job extremely wiill.

But I guess that doesn't matter just so long as you look extremely manly to everyone, right?

"nigga" is easy to remember, "fag" is even easier to remember, will you name a product like that? will you really? yes Im exagerating of course, wii isnt as bad as those, but I think you get my point

Im still trying to wrap my head around the name,

They say its universal, but I dont see that, "W" isnt exactly an universal letter or sound, at least not here, W is a foreign letter and sound hardly seen in any spanish word, maybe "K" would be better, thats an universal sound, "Kii", I like that a lot more.

After that they contradict themselves and say it stands for "we" which is an english pronoun that half the world doesnt know or use.

But the plural in the flash is interesting, "controllers", does it mean wii get two controllers? does it mean its related to the nunchaku being finally packed in with the console?

Im out of ideas, I dont know what else to think about it.

Edit:
Damn you PGC dont filter "W E"

Ill admit one thing, Id never laughed and felt bad at the same time so much in my life, its like when I watched Life its Beautiful.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2006, 03:38:03 PM »
GRRRH NINTENDO IS TEH DOOMED>!&#(%*#$&.
First reaction was they took the F out of WiFi. Besides all the awkwardness, I don't like that it's only 1 syllable and not abbreviatable.
The fact is, they should have just stuck with Revolution, just like they stuck with DS. I expected them to regardless of what their statements said. This isn't a dealbreaker for me, but NoA marketing must be pissed right now...
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540