Author Topic: The Conduit 2 confirmed.  (Read 45113 times)

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: The Conduit 2 confirmed.
« Reply #150 on: April 20, 2011, 06:14:18 PM »
Ended up opening the game after all. Should have some impressions later tonight or tomorrow since I have off from work. Playing the online at the moment but so far it's interesting. It doesn't play like Black Ops or GoldenEye 007 Wii. Which is a good thing I feel.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 20, 2011, 11:57:26 PM »
I'm excited to hear

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 21, 2011, 10:20:02 AM »
I posted this over at NeoGaf last night so I'm just going to repost it here. It's a combination of two post however and is setup originally more in a stream of thought. Not really a review or I'd have formatted it a LOT better with section headings, etc. I might do so later tonight. I have however altered it in various parts so it fits together better.

Be warned though. This is a LOT of text.

Is the game worth picking up? Yes. Is ti worth picking up and playing after you've played GoldenEye 007 Wii and Call of Duty: Black Ops on the Wii? Yes. Is it worthy of being grouped with those two games as the best FPS on the Wii and overall a good game? Yes again.

Single player is significantly better then the first game I feel. Still linear, what FPS isn't but the presentation is a ton better. The areas are more open, varied, and you're not literally walking through hallways the way you were in some areas were in the first game. It looks like there are multiple paths at times (parts of Washington, DC) and it does take some time to get through the levels/areas.

There aren't any levels persay. You go to new areas but there are multiple objectives that lead into one another. Those objectives are listed as missions that you get and complete somewhat organically. No loading or briefing screens like the first game.

The ASE acts more like Samus' visor in the Metroid Prime series now. There are scanable objects, documents, blue prints (which unlock weapons in multiplayer so you don't have to buy them. You get a refund if you already have I believe), etc. You get money for scanning items that can be used in mulitplayer. The scanned objects give entries ala Metroid Prime as well and are broken up into various categories. Some of the missing persons documents you scan have pictures of real people. I asked around it looks like HVS had a contest where people could get into the game by sending in pictures. Nice touch.

The game looks great. As good as GoldenEye 007 but GE might still be better. I'm not really sure as art style is different. The game's frame rate seems to be locked at 30 or maybe a bit higher most of the time. There are moments where it noticeably changes (gets higher and hits 60 I think or something like that) and then goes back to normal. This happens when you end up in an area with nothing. The frame rate jumps and becomes more smooth before going back to normal. I had that happen to me a LOT in Infamous which is why I recognized it. The frame rate online is stable in 6v6 or 5v5. Though the lower number of players there are at the start of a new match improves the frame rate. For example 3v3 (assuming 6 player FFA too) in multiplayer appears to have a higher frame rate. Game is noticeably smoother with numbers that low. However I haven't experienced any slow down during the action in the single player or online yet.

They did a great job with the character models, especially the enemy armors. Though I'd like to see more of Andromeda. :) Her voice is pretty nice. Even the new voice for Ford has started to stop annoying me. There are some cheesy moments though. It's not as if the game has become less serious (you are still dealing with an alien invasion and crap has really hit the fan so to speak in the aftermath of the first game) compare to the last one. Just that Ford seems to have a personality now and seems like the type of person that tries to inject humor into a serious situation to stay sane.

The enemy AI is decent. Game starts on "Guarded" which is one just above the lowest setting but I increased it to "Elevated which might be considered "Normal". Interesting to see enemies flipping over tables or soda machines (wish there was more variety in how these looked) for cover. Trying to flank you. Some of the more armored enemies will simply rush to melee you or hit you with shotguns at point blank range. These are pain to take down. It's nice to see their armor get shot up and glow due to being constantly fired up upon. Then there are the snipers that seem to acquire you pretty quickly if you get to close to their area. Curious as to how aggressive they'll give on the highest settings. Also no infinite spawning either. Once you clear an area it's cleared. I was glad this was the case in GoldenEye and I'm glad it's the case here. Though there are still the Drudge wall pods you have to take out. Those are still annoying. Not just one on the wall but there could be 4 or 5 in the area you have to take out. Rushing into areas simply seem like an easy way to die. Though being cautious has still gotten me killed a few times. Charged shots hurt. The use of the Drudge so far has been good. Not being swarmed by them like last time (story reason for this). Some of the bigger ones have given a a bit of a horror twist to them in how and when they appear. Took me by surprise a few times and left me somewhat scrambling and wondering when I'd have another encounter like that. There is also a section I just finish that was decently scary for the most part. Or if scary isn't the right word nicely tense filled might be better.

I've done some online play but I've had issues with getting matches. Could be launch issues but there was one update when I originally logged in. Sometimes the lobby wouldn't populate. Or it wouldn't fully do so after a match if people dropped out during it. Online play is also deliberately slower then Call of Duty: Black Ops. Here's how the online breaks down.

There are four main playslist modes you can pick from.

Big Team Grab Bag - A collection of team games. 12 Player max game size.
Free for All Grab Bag - Free for all objective-based and deathmatch games. 8 player max game size.
Hardcore Team Games - Team deathmatch and basic objective games with no radar and no lock-on. 8 Player max game size.
Hardcore Free For All - Pure deathmatch with no radar and no lock-on. 6 Player max game size.

You don't just pick deathmatch and only do deathmatch matches over and over again. After each match you can vote on a new map and based on that map you have different modes. So choice could be a map that has VIP (one person is the VIP and you get points for killing them)  and the other choice could be another map or the same map but mode is ASE basketball (collect the ASE and throw it through hoops around the map) or it might a Capture the Flag mode.

Local split screen and custom online games I believe as well are different though. You can have more control of the type of game you want to do at that very moment. Here you can do the same thing over and over again. You also have options to increase everyone's running speed, screw with the gravity, etc. Things people would hack the game to include you can do yourself with friends you invite into games. You get into the Invasion mode via the split screen option as well I think. Invasion mode seems to be like the Zombies mode in Call of Duty WaW and Black Ops. However you have bigger areas to move around and you can pretty much hunt the enemy. After you clear them out another wave comes. Not sure if you can do this online and not just locally though. It can be done solo though if you wish and you can determine the level of difficulty.

The game I feel deserves to do well. It's a far better game then the original in every way sans the lack of voice acting from Keven Sorbo. It's worth a gamers time and a very good effort from HVS.  Could there be improvements? Yes. I hope the online issues are patchable. Some abilities seem unfair. The single player could be less cheesy and still be improved in various ways if HVS is able to do a Conduit 3  for the Wii or even Wii 2. I'd be willing to give the game an 8ish out of 10. As a result. my score of Conduit 1 would have be altered to a 6 out 10 instead of a 7.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 10:27:13 AM by NeoStar9X »

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 21, 2011, 06:42:51 PM »
Anyone have the game?

My friend code:

5329 1266 5198

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 21, 2011, 06:53:18 PM »
Not all modes support 12 players? That's disappointing. I'll miss the craziness of the 12-person free-for-alls.

There's something I'm wondering about that I didn't see you mention. Is this game like Call of Duty where you have to hold down the aim button the whole time in order to not have crap for accuracy? Or can you still point 'n shoot like you could in the original The Conduit?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 21, 2011, 08:09:32 PM »
Wow, and I forgot half of the appeal in the game was a legit Wii game that had both local and online multi.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 21, 2011, 08:33:44 PM »
Not all modes support 12 players? That's disappointing. I'll miss the craziness of the 12-person free-for-alls.

There's something I'm wondering about that I didn't see you mention. Is this game like Call of Duty where you have to hold down the aim button the whole time in order to not have crap for accuracy? Or can you still point 'n shoot like you could in the original The Conduit?
Point and shoot. Some guns don't even have sights. The Scar just has the zoom which lets you snipe to a degree. Outside of that you are shooting from the hip mostly and it works very well.  You actually have to shoot this way due to being able to jump. So you have that weird jump shooting you see in Halo and I think Unreal. That is going to be very annoying and makes multiplayer harder I think.

If anyone wants to add me as well here's my code.

2923-9467-4537
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 08:57:17 PM by NeoStar9X »

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 21, 2011, 08:34:54 PM »

Point and shoot, but you can also use the aim button. You only need to use the aim button when you snipe. I barely use it.

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 22, 2011, 12:49:59 PM »
At least this time around they've made it patchable, so those minor grievances can be fixed.

I got about 8-10 hours on SP (started off on guarded, switched to low halfway through), so it's a little longer than the first one. What's really cool is you can replay the boss fights anytime you want.

Oh, and the Siberia Escape. IT'S LIKE IM REALLY PLAYING L.A. MACHINEGUNS!!

So overall I guess it's a minor improvement over Conduit 1, hopefully whatever Conduit 3 manifests itself to be brings it all together.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 22, 2011, 01:18:33 PM »
I hope that Conduit 3 becomes a Wii 2 launch title because thta series can benefit from HD graphics and advanced motion controls. Also, High Voltage Studios would benefit from being able to put one of their series on a HD console because they need to get better as a developer.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 22, 2011, 07:32:22 PM »
Point and shoot. Some guns don't even have sights. The Scar just has the zoom which lets you snipe to a degree. Outside of that you are shooting from the hip mostly and it works very well.
That's good to hear, I hate crawling around aiming everywhere and I was worried they were going to copy that nonsense here. The high jump height can be annoying too, but it isn't so bad for me. I've long ago resigned to the fact that no shooter will be as good as Perfect Dark.

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 23, 2011, 12:39:30 PM »
However I'm learning that in the first playlist (Big Team Grab Bag) it helps to use the lock on feature. At least when right on top of people It's being used I feel. There is no way I keep dying the way I do without people using it on me. It doesn't work when the person is at a distance though. Still I kept wondering why I was getting killed all the time. I know I'm not that great at FPS but I think I'm decent. I know the game is different but kept dying a lot in every face off. This is the only conclusion I can come to. People are using the lock on feature a LOT. Even then it doesn't always mean a kill I've found out. If you jump enough and move enough people will miss. It just makes it easier to direct the shots toward a person. With jumping I guess this sort of needs to this way. You still can move your crosshair. It just locks you into a general area around the person. So you can still direct you shots.

Once I started doing using it (I mapped it to my down button) combat became more fair. I think that's the best word. If someone gets you from behind it doesn't matter if they use it or not. You're going down anyway. From a distance you need to zoom or fire from the hip depending on the gun. So it isn't factor there either. In a group vs group situation everyone is firing randomly anyway so it does you no good but you can still use it. In a one on one situation it evens things. The other person is more then likely using it so why not. Or they're thinking the same thing about you. I don't see why one shouldn't use it. It's there for everyone to use.

You can still point and shoot. I'm doing that for the single player with ease. It's doable online but unless you are playing hardcore (where it isn't even enabled) I don't see why one shouldn't use it.

Online is gltichy though at times. I hope they patch it more. Especially the matching. Tired of uneven matches or lobbies not being refilled fast enough. Though I guess I might have to expect this given how sales of the game most likely to go. I'll play it for a little while longer. Once I beat the single player I think I might do the Invasion mode some and then maybe not bother with the online. I can see myself playing through the single player again though on a harder difficulty. So I might get the most replay out it in the long run there.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 12:41:54 PM by NeoStar9X »

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 24, 2011, 02:54:22 AM »
So it's been a few days now. What's everyone's thoughts on the ending?

Me? I love it.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 24, 2011, 03:18:11 AM »
Haven't beaten it. I freaking hate the SP compared to the first one. Plus: the voice acting is so narmy now. I hate it. The first game may have been overly serious, but at least it's better than the **** we have now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 24, 2011, 06:38:00 AM »
I went ahead and ordered the game so I'll see soon for myself how it holds up.
My Game Collection

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 24, 2011, 04:06:17 PM »
It's official: The black hole of the Dark Star is a fickle bitch. Every time I shoot it at an enemy, it ends up taking me down with me. DX

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #166 on: April 24, 2011, 06:21:01 PM »
You guys are liking the game a lot more than me. I think it's okay, and certainly better than the original, but there are technical blunders abound that bug the hell out of me. I haven't done too much multiplayer yet, though--maybe that's where the meat is.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 24, 2011, 06:55:56 PM »
You guys are liking the game a lot more than me. I think it's okay, and certainly better than the original, but there are technical blunders abound that bug the hell out of me. I haven't done too much multiplayer yet, though--maybe that's where the meat is.
I think people are experiencing different issues at times. I haven't had any issues so far in the single player. I didn't even experience the first level glitch some have gotten. Online is a different story. I'm considering it a mess at this point. Perhaps it's patchable but so far I'm not seeing anything done. Granted it's the weekend but I'm looking to see what happens this week before I give up on it. My issues don't have to do with the how the modes are setup. I don't mind that at all. I have issues with stability and the matching and lobby system not always working. This is a coding issue and not a population or user Internet connection issue.

It is better then the original without a doubt. Talking single player here as I didn't play the original online. It's not better then Goldeneye or even Call of Duty Black Ops though. But those were great experiences overall with GE being on top. This is okay to good. Better in some places then others.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #168 on: April 24, 2011, 09:28:38 PM »
By technical faults, I mean aiming sensitivity, hit detection, floating objects, inconsistent character models, that sort of thing.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 24, 2011, 09:31:31 PM »
Just finished up the single player. Took me 8 and half hours according to the game. In the extras menu it tracks how long you've played the campaign and other stats. I mainly played on Elevated most of the time (which is the third difficulty setting). It was fun overall. Some issues with design here and there. There are tings that could be done differently next time, if there is a next time. I'm willing to play through it again. I had a good bit of fun with it and really isn't that the ultimate measuring stick when it comes to a game? If you had fun it overall and if you are willing to play it again?

The ending is interesting. Somewhat funny, a little bit wtf but I'm interested in where they think they can take this. Ending speculation. I wonder if they were tapped because they were Presidents of the United States or became Presidents because they were tapped to be "Destroyers'. That is if they are that. Their armors could be something else. I sort of assumed they were all apart of that group or maybe just Washington and Lincoln. Who else to tap other then arguably the most powerful men in the world at their point in time (save some of the earlier Presidents).  Though that wouldn't make them great fighters out in the field. So it's an interesting choice. It's a weird ending to give after the final fight you just had. Though the second phase of that fight was somewhat cheap.

On the Conduit dialer I have three entries I think listed as Unknown. Does anyone else have those? If you use it to go back to past areas do you simply redo those areas or does it keep you going into the next areas?

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #170 on: May 01, 2011, 12:29:37 PM »
Hey everyone, if you are playing Conduit 2 and have not yet connected online, do so ASAP. Going to online multiplayer will allow you to download a patch that fixes bugs in the single player as well. This addresses the level 1 "locked gate" bug that prevents you from proceeding. The game doesn't say anything about this stuff; I learned about it on the GameFAQs boards. They are continually patching glitches, so it's probably worthwhile to check for updates often, even if you aren't actively playing multiplayer.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #171 on: May 01, 2011, 08:37:33 PM »
Jonny, just so you know, it has downloaded a patch every time I've gotten online with it.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 02, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
Have they patched the game to let you change the motion controls? I'm upset at the game because I can't make reloading be like it is in Modern Warfare. The entire game is crap to me at this point. I regret buying it. I thought conduit was supposed to champion control customization?
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 02, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
You still can't map certain functions to the gestures? That's pretty lame. I know in the first Conduit, the reason you couldn't put the reload function on a gesture is because it's the one you have to hold down to pick up a weapon. I guess that combo function still holds true for the sequel.

The reason I haven't bought the game is because it doesn't have a party system, which is pretty much all I wanted. Instead, I'm going to wait for a sale/price drop.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 03, 2011, 06:47:00 AM »
I don't care if the functions are tied to each other. Why can't it be the same thing with waggle? If you are over a weapon you waggle to pick it up. Though they should really not combine those functions together like that. This isn't the 90's. I expect better design in my 10's FPSes (is that what we call this decade?)
My Game Collection