Author Topic: Will Nintendo Develope a New Motion Controller Just for the WiiU?  (Read 8815 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Will Nintendo Develope a New Motion Controller Just for the WiiU?
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 02:33:31 AM »
They said all Wii peripherals will work on Wii U, they didn't say they would always work with every Wii U game. They could make it so every game requires Wii MotionPlus, this would help spur sales of the Wii Remote Plus and the Wii MotionPlus for people who don't already have them.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 03:36:55 AM »
They could make it like how you could use your PlayStation 1 controllers on the PlayStation 2 but couldn't be used on PS2 games (or at least most).

The Dual Shock 2 controller will still work with PSOne games, so there should be no issue with having BC for Wii games with the Wiimote 2.0 other than the extra buttons not working.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 03:38:21 AM »
They said all Wii peripherals will work on Wii U, they didn't say they would always work with every Wii U game. They could make it so every game requires Wii MotionPlus, this would help spur sales of the Wii Remote Plus and the Wii MotionPlus for people who don't already have them.

I think they have to do this.  Having WiiU games that don't use motion+ would be a catastrophe in my opinion and lead to all the non U controller games not supporting it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 04:16:34 AM by SixthAngel »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 05:19:27 AM »
They could make it like how you could use your PlayStation 1 controllers on the PlayStation 2 but couldn't be used on PS2 games (or at least most).

The Dual Shock 2 controller will still work with PSOne games, so there should be no issue with having BC for Wii games with the Wiimote 2.0 other than the extra buttons not working.

Again, the problem isn't how the new controllers would work with the old games, it's how the old Wii remotes would work with Wii U games.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 08:30:41 AM »

Again, the problem isn't how the new controllers would work with the old games, it's how the old Wii remotes would work with Wii U games.

If anything changes, Nintendo could offer an addon module similar to the motionplus which plugs into the old wiimotes to bring them up to spec.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 09:37:23 AM »
Not sure I can explain this well enough, but I'll give it a shot. Assuming Nintendo releases a Wii U Remote/Nunchuck:

1. The Wii U remote is NOT backwards compatible (cannot be used on the Wii) [edited for clarity].
2. Any Wii U game that uses Wii Remote Plus is also compatible with Wii U Remote.
3. The opposite is NOT true. Developers will not be required to (and most will not) consider a Wii Remote Plus mode. However, most Wii U titles will include both a tablet controller mode and a Wii U Remote/Nunchuck mode.

This is pretty much the same thing we saw on the Wii with Gameube controller compatibility. The new controllers are always favored over the old one because backwards compatibility is a bonus.

I've considered the pros and cons of this approach with a Wii U Remote/Nunchuck but I believe the pros far outweigh the cons. Including Wii Remote Plus compatibility allows Nintendo to continue offering a more simplified experience to casual gamers who are supposedly confused/terrified by anything but a large A button. They will never HAVE to purchase/use a Wii U remote as games made specifically for that segment of the market will never require more than the Wii Remote Plus and possibly the tablet controller for its screen.

Fair enough, but those same people will also never play or even bat an eye at Call of Duty, Zelda, Ninja Gaiden etc. Nintendo absolutely must make sure that the people who play those games are taken care of while also making sure that they never HAVE to buy Wii Remote Plus (some find it limiting). The Wii U Remote/Nunchuck allows Nintendo to offer a controller that doesn't insult core games/3rd parties while also offering the functionality Nintendo pushed for an entire generation. Personally, I believe there's a place for motion controls in core games... when used properly. If motion controls are an option rather than a requirement, developers are more likely to experiment and use it intelligently, on an as-needed basis.

Of course, this mostly hinges of whether multiple tablet controllers are possible. If they aren't, the Wii U Remote/Nunchuck is the best solution. It doubles as a Classic Controller and a motion controller. If they are, a Wii U Remote/Nunchuck might still be something to be considered since it can do different things than the tablet controller, due to being 2 separate pieces.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 12:51:41 PM by Adrock »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 11:19:13 AM »
I'm just hoping that they require the use of Motion Plus when the Wiimote is a control option.  I don't own one because its not needed and I hate buying new controllers but, that's the only way the technology will become dominant.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2011, 09:15:51 PM »
I'm still baffled that Nintendo aren't considering supporting more than one screen controller. What do they plan to do with multiplayer games? I hope their minds get changed on that one, but even if not, I don't see them coming out with a new version of the Wiimote. If they were going to do that, then the current Wiimote would not be compatible with Wii U games. The only thing I see as a possibility is branding the Wiimote with the Wii U logo, to make it clear that it can be used with the Wii U.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2011, 11:50:49 PM »
I don't see them coming out with a new version of the Wiimote. If they were going to do that, then the current Wiimote would not be compatible with Wii U games.
Not necessarily. See my previous post.

I don't think Nintendo will release a Wii U Remote. I just think they should.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2011, 12:33:08 PM »
It is pretty funny that this is even an issue.  The whole thing seems to be about keeping the old Wiimote so people can use their old ones.  This is a new videogame system!  You buy a new system, you buy new controllers.  That is how it works.  Yet it seems like Nintendo is afraid to make people buy new Wiimotes.  If casuals won't buy new controllers, they're a lost cause anyway.  It's clearly just a fad to them if they're that flaky.

I think at the very least Motion+ should be the Wii U standard.  I would personally be fine if Nintendo just never bothered with this motion control crap ever again but if they're going to, and I know they will, we might as well have something that's an improvement.  I am not at all interested in broken unresponsive motion control like the Wii had.  That **** just is not going to fly.  Either ditch the concept entirely or make it better.  What we have now is way too rough to continue on as is.

Can you imagine if we were still using the N64 analog stick?  Ugh.  There is a reason you update with new systems.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2011, 12:34:09 PM »
1. The Wii U remote is NOT forwards compatible (cannot be used on the Wii).

Doesn't that mean backwards compatible? Forwards compatible would mean how it would work with the Wii U's successor (something which we can't even contemplate at this point).
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2011, 12:46:46 PM »
My bad.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2011, 01:46:49 PM »
Yes, now we don't have to buy three more $80 controllers. We'll have $240 extra dollars to spend on games. They're screwing us again! :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface:
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2011, 02:00:32 PM »
Yes, now we don't have to buy three more $80 controllers. We'll have $240 extra dollars to spend on games. They're screwing us again! :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface: :moonface:
Which will happen to be what the 3DS will be dropped to.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2011, 02:29:34 PM »
Cash incentives are too powerful for Nintendo to not make new controllers for thier new system.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.