Author Topic: Ok, now im p(*&^98ed off!!!  (Read 2505 times)

Offline iamtheearth

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Ok, now im p(*&^98ed off!!!
« on: May 01, 2003, 06:44:30 PM »
I dont know if anyone else here as had this problem, but whenever i play metroid prime, and the games starts to load a new area, the system makes this really loud CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK, as if the cd laser has fallen out of its path as is amaking against the inside of the console. In addition, every 2 or 3 times that i play, after the clunk clunk the system will die, and say " An error has occured blah blah"

WTF!??!!? Ive cleaned the disk, gotten a new copy etc etc and it still does it! It almost makes the game totally unplayable, as i live in fear of the inevitable crash. Metroid is the only game that does this, altough i had it once with Eternal Darkness but was unsure if it was an insanity effect or not, cos i turned the system off in frustration. Also, the message did not appear as white text on a black screen as with Prime, but as an overlay on top of the game. Does anyone know if there is a general message that comes up, or if it is game specific how they display the error?

Im taking the cube back to nintendo next week, and they are gonnna have a fiddle around with it.

Anyone else had the same thing happen?

Offline TrekGeekMid

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2003, 06:46:31 PM »
I haven't had the kinds of problems you are reporting...in fact, I can't even remember the game even freezing on me, which is a problem I have heard a lot of people complaining about.

Honestly, in my (un)informed opinion, your hardware is the culprit as opposed to the software.  
Live Wrong and Perspire

Andy's Random Stuff

Offline iamtheearth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2003, 07:00:23 PM »
My thoughts are that it a combination of the two. Since it only happens with MP, then i blame the game, but due to the way that MP dynamically loads levels whilst playing, perhaps there is some bug in the hardware that cant keep up.

I dunno

Offline reivned

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2003, 09:03:15 AM »
Happened to me only once ... I guess I was lucky   :-)

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2003, 09:26:09 AM »
In many of these cases, it's a dusty laser, or a laser that has fallen out of alignment.  Contact Nintendo's Customer Support department, and they will help you diagnose the problem.  In the event it needs to be repaired, they will frequently offer to repair the system for you at NO CHARGE, even if the system is out of warranty.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline iamtheearth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2003, 02:19:08 AM »
I dont know about the dusty laser theory. My whole system is clean as, and from what ive seen inside is that its all nice.

Yeah, I've rung Nintendo and they said I should bring it in and they will have a look. min is still under warrenty, so there should not be any problem with that, but the BS thing is that they said that if they dont find anything wrong, there is a 40 buck (Australian) charge for them just looking. They'd better be finding summin

Anyway, i read on another board that Eternal Darkness tries to read 2 tracks at a time, and perhaps due to metorids loading system the laser cant keep up or summin. Time will tell. Gonna be a week before i take the thing back, but ill keep you all posted on the proceedings.

Heh, lucky this has happened now and not later. Ive still got 10 days worth of warranty left

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2003, 03:32:25 AM »
yay just what this board needs more aussies! btw check this thread out Official Aussie Thread

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2003, 03:41:22 AM »
i have had a similar problem. i guess i will have to call nintendo. hopefully they are as genorous with fixing my console as u say they will be.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Atma

• View Profile
RE: Ok, now im p(*&^98ed off!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2003, 04:11:47 AM »
I've had a similar problem (and surprisingly, it only happens with Metroid Prime), but it's only happened twice (once in the chozo ruins, the other time..... somewhere). It isn't much of a problem to me, since there's usually a save point nearby when it happened.

I've read that it's a streaming error (not sure though).