Author Topic: Strong Bad's Cool Thread For Attractive People  (Read 4460 times)

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
Strong Bad's Cool Thread For Attractive People
« on: August 12, 2008, 03:10:25 PM »

http://www.telltalegames.com/strongbad

Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People is an episodic series of point-and-click adventure games. The first episode is out now. And it's awesome! Go buy it!

....why are you still reading this? Buy it! Now!

Stop stalling! I took a Dangeresque-esque leap of faith and bought a season pass (which gives you all 5 episodes of the PC version for one cheap-as-free price.) I did this without playing the demo or reading a single review. I don't regret it.

If you're wondering whether to get the PC or Wii version, the PC version is a slightly better deal. A season pass (only available for the PC) costs $35, and buying all 5 episodes on the Wii will cost you $50. On the other hand, the Wii version has a tiny amount of motion control. Also, it lets you send Strong Bad emails to people on your Wii friends list, and you can play it on your couch. On the third hand, buying a season pass entitles you to a free DVD (you have have to pay shipping) that contains all 5 episodes, plus bonus content. And the PC version can be played on any PC you own (the Wii version can only be played on one system), and it's in HD.

You haven't bought the game yet?! Aren't you cool and attractive?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 03:08:53 AM by Wandering »
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: Wandering's Cool Thread For Attractive People
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 03:22:03 PM »
All 5 episodes are already out on the PC version? Or did you pre-order the episodes?

I already completed nearly all of "Homestar Ruiner" and it was awesome. I really hope the rest of the episodes get better and more ambitious. The way I see it, we got our feet wet with the first episode.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Wandering's Cool Thread For Attractive People
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 03:24:21 PM »
Do you get all five episodes at once on the PC or do you have to download them as they are released? Really enjoying this on the Wii so far.

edit: Jinx! Pap64 has to buy me two Cokes.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 03:26:12 PM by ShyGuy »

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
Re: Stong Bad's Cool Thread For Attractive People
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 02:55:31 AM »
I have to wait for the episodes to be released (I've edited the OP so this is clearer.)

I beat Homestar Ruiner. Loved every second.

I was expecting the characters and the world to feel a bit off, but they got everything right. When I first started playing, I was like "Wow! I'm Strong Bad! And I'm walking around Strong Bad's house!"

Some of my favorite moments:

- Strong Bad, upon being asked if he'd like a weight-loss product: "No. Thanks for subtly implying that I'm fat, though!"
Bubs: "No problem!"

- Strong Bad's answering machine.

- Strong Bad, playing a video game: "I love how the black border let's you imagine a large crowd cheering you on."

- Marzipan's tangent about a hair product.

- The flashback that reveals why Marzipan doesn't invite Strong Bad to parties any more.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 03:07:29 AM by Wandering »
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
Re: Strong Bad's Cool Thread For Attractive People
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 04:21:36 AM »
yeah the flashback is the best so far.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 04:28:18 AM »
....why are you still reading this? Buy it! Now!

Not released yet, might come out this friday (and if it's only available in a dubbed version I'M GONNA HAVE TO CHOKE A BITCH).

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 06:07:40 AM »
Just finished the game. What a fantastic little morsel! Best game I've completed this year since Endless Ocean.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 06:17:28 AM »
Gah, why do the voices sound so bad like the quotes of the week? Did they forget a post-processing step or something? The characters sound like bad imitations. Strangely a few lines do seem to have gotten proper treatment and sound like the original cartoons but most of them... Well, they sound way too human.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 06:44:40 AM »
Gah, why do the voices sound so bad like the quotes of the week? Did they forget a post-processing step or something? The characters sound like bad imitations. Strangely a few lines do seem to have gotten proper treatment and sound like the original cartoons but most of them... Well, they sound way too human.

Um, these ARE the original voices. There's a clear difference between the flash audio and the clear audio. This is noticeable when you download the podcast versions of the toons. Even if nothing is changed the audio is clearly different.

So what you hear in the game is the original performance by Matt Chapman.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 06:54:17 AM »
Hang on, is this out in Europe or am i going blind as well?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 10:33:36 AM »
It got released last Friday.

Guess they need to reduce the sound quality then, the high quality voices sound too human, they lose their distinctiveness and you can tell it's a voice actor trying to sound like the character. The lower quality loses the parts that make the voices identifiable as a specific human.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 10:35:03 AM »
Is the German version dubbed or is it English voices with German subtitles?
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 07:37:29 PM »
Going back to the topic, while I enjoyed the first episode there were a couple of disappointments:

- You do NOTHING with The Cheat. All you ever do with him is kick him into the drier or meet him at the Photo booth. HR fans know that the dynamic between SB and the Cheat makes for some great moments. The very first episode didn't explore that. I hope the next episodes have you interacting more with him. "Powered by the Cheat"  could make for an interesting mini game. Or, you could call him to do your bidding while you focus on something else.

- No Strong Sad abuse. I know he is an emo character that hates interaction but it annoyed me how he stayed in his room, except for random appearances and the tutorial. "Abusing the hell out of Strong Sad" could have been a trophy award in Homestar Ruiner. I hope his role (and by role I mean abuse by Strong Bad) gets expanded in the next episodes.

- No Homesar, Senor Cardgage, Cheat Commandos, Stinko Man, Old Timey Homestar Universe, Limozeen or even Lil' Brudder. OK, so the Chapmans said in an interview that they told Telltale Games to not over stuff the episodes with content. In other words, don't include every single aspect of the series right away. So while the first episode had "Teen Girl Squad" as a bonus, the next episode could have the Cheat Commandos, the next make a scene that takes place in Old Timey universe, so on and so forth.

I expect these "issues" to be solved in the next episodes. If they don't, that's OK. What matters is that the game worked, and greatly might I add.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 09:10:55 PM »
I got the distinct feeling while playing the Cheat and Strong Sad are being saved for the next chapter.

Homesar is an extra prank call

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 02:25:51 AM »
Is the German version dubbed or is it English voices with German subtitles?

Neither, it's untranslated. MLaaK didn't get any translation either BTW (nor did TWEWY so it sems like a trend for S-E lately). Sam & Max had a complete dubbing available and let you choose which one you want to use.

I guess stuffing all that secondary stuff into one Episode would feel overloaded. You do see a few references to them anyway (Cheat Commandos O's, prank call Homsar, Limozeen lunchbag, ...). Not sure how fair a puzzle involving Homsar or Sweet Cuppin' Cakes would be...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 12:12:54 PM »
Strong Bump!

Picked up the second episode last night, liked it better than the first one. It seemed a little easier, but maybe I was just more in the mindset of the puzzle logic.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 02:49:16 PM »
I'll be picking all these episodes up real slow, and maybe finish this series by the end of 2009. I'm fine paying 1000 Wii Points for each, but that price tag sure is a lot to swallow at times.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 02:58:11 PM »
You can get a complete pack for 35$ on Steam from what I heard.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 03:14:04 PM »
You can get a complete pack for 35$ on Steam from what I heard.

Yeah, so I've heard. So why do I not want to play this game on Computer? Why am I being irrational? There must be a reason! AARGGH!!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 03:45:25 PM »
Because couch gaming is superior.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 03:55:20 PM »
Because couch gaming is superior.

True dat. I actually don't have a good ergonomic computer set up right now, so couch gaming will stay superior for the foreseeable future.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 09:07:23 PM »
Episodic gaming is a funny thing. I really didn't want to play the second one a mere month after I finished the first. I needed time to digest I guess.