Author Topic: XBox360 phase-out of 20GB? No Price drop?  (Read 3657 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
XBox360 phase-out of 20GB? No Price drop?
« on: July 01, 2008, 02:01:49 PM »
Apparently, there were some leaked scans that showed the X360 Pro at $299. But this was suspicious because there was no sign of any related price drops for the Elite or Arcade. So that immediately threw suspicion on the whole price-dro-across-the-board theory.

Now there's a rumor that only the 20GB will see the price drop to $299 because MS will release a new 60GB Pro version at $349.... GAH. JUST LIKE SONY!

So this could be a false alarm on the side of the "price wars." But none of the consoles have hit the mass market $199! Not even the Wii, which is the cheapest and is surely making Nintendo oodles.

Have both MS and Sony given up on price wars? Will they both stay as high-priced as they can, lengthen the generation, and not push for mass market? Does this mean they've basically given up on competing with Nintendo?

... of course...there's always the rumors that MS will show off a waggle-wand and avatars at this E3...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: XBox360 phase-out of 20GB? No Price drop?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 02:51:02 PM »
Wii is the new standard in mass-market.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 03:22:35 PM »
Well Sony lost the most money with the PS3 dropping price however with the 40GB unit they did get more PS3s out in the market and the xbox division just started making a profit (which is amazing since when the xbox 1 era ended they were 2 billion in the red) and Nintendo still can't keep stock of the wii even at 250 dollars.

Nintendo doesnt need a drop because they are in a healthy position, MS and Sony don't want to do a price drop because they dont want to bleed money again.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 03:58:14 PM »
Wait, are you implying MS already paid off its last-generation debt, or are you just citing its recent "quarterly improvements"?

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

Graphics help, such as bar graphs and Scrooge McDuck's vault.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 04:21:02 PM »
The 360 Arcade is nowhere to be found anymore...

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 06:31:42 PM »
They are all here KDR.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 07:55:11 PM »
It's **** like this that keeps me from buying a 360.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 06:04:20 AM »
They are all here KDR.
Dunno, I have barely seen any since that "free GTA4 with any 360" deal ended.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 08:38:15 AM »
There's no way Nintendo would drop the price of the Wii right now. Maybe once the shortage finally ends and the Wii can be seen on store shelves more regularly, but definitely not now. Business doesn't work that way.
is your sanity...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 01:01:00 PM »
I have been waiting and hoping for real price cuts this generation...maybe one day I will get a Xbox 360...but it is going to have to be at least the price of Guitar Hero 4 before that happens.

Geez, I can't believe we are coming into an era of gaming where there are $200.00 games.  Crazy.  Seriously, it is like the arcade is dead, so we are figuring out how to bring the arcade experience home.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 01:13:37 PM »
I have been waiting and hoping for real price cuts this generation...maybe one day I will get a Xbox 360...but it is going to have to be at least the price of Guitar Hero 4 before that happens.

Geez, I can't believe we are coming into an era of gaming where there are $200.00 games.  Crazy.  Seriously, it is like the arcade is dead, so we are figuring out how to bring the arcade experience home.

Neo-Geo says hi.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 01:32:51 PM »
GP:  I know...and Neo Geo failed...but at least Neo Geo was technically an arcade.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 02:51:38 PM »
This actually may be ideal for me. I may be in the market for a 360 soon and 20 GB seemed like not enough for me, a storage crisis on one console is enough for me. I was looking to maybe get an Elite, but 60 GB would be enough for me. I'd definitely take $350 for 60 GB over $200 for 20 GB.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Dan_Flyhight

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 05:15:56 AM »
Well I know its probably not much help at this time. But I can confirm that only the Pro will drop to $299.99 because at my gamestop today (where I work, hehe...shameless plugs for my job....) we got a letter in one of our shipment boxes showing the price to go down this SUNDAY.
If ever the acid-spitting llamas ever engulf your esophagus out of fear for their own pancreas, you know who to call...

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 11:31:38 PM »
Have both MS and Sony given up on price wars? Will they both stay as high-priced as they can, lengthen the generation, and not push for mass market? Does this mean they've basically given up on competing with Nintendo?

... of course...there's always the rumors that MS will show off a waggle-wand and avatars at this E3...

You lost me right here.  Keeping their prices high will not lengthen anything.  People aren't waiting to buy the 360 or ps3 at lower prices, they are buying the Wii right now.  MS and Sony are just trying to lose as little money as possible this generation. (the xbox division has only made quarterly profits still putting them way in the red)

I expect the waggle at E3 and I think its going work with Banjo.  It is going to be an giant flop of course but an entire new controller for an existing console (not just added analog) is pretty much doomed to failure.