Author Topic: Someone tap the record machian please  (Read 9378 times)

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
Re: Someone tap the record machian please
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 06:45:38 PM »
Since Ian Sane doesn't visit The Funhouse, this thread comes off as a little mean-spirited.

You're right, a thread like this is just overki-- oh hey look, a new one today from the "Sony's Motion in the Blue Ocean" thread:

For Mario Kart Wii, it offers the conventional controls.  To me that proves the motion control usage is nothing but a novelty.  I say the conventional controls shouldn't be an option.

Agreed. Because one thing that Wii control-whiners prefer is fewer options.

With just a few more quotes, we could play Bingo.

I'll be doing this in a new thread soon.

edit: it's done
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 01:50:19 AM by Zap »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2009, 01:51:41 AM »
Since Ian Sane doesn't visit The Funhouse, this thread comes off as a little mean-spirited.

This is all rather cathartic. And the only reason he doesn't visit the Funhouse is because he has no sense of humor.

When I clicked on this thread I didn't even realize it was old. Seriously, read the quotes in the first post. It's identical to what he's saying now. Totally validates the thread title.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 01:54:20 AM »
Someone should take a trip in the wayback machine and see what was being said back in say.... 2007 - 2008.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2014, 08:13:48 PM »
Art style isn't the most important factor. It's all about the gameplay.

Of course, Ian Sane will probably want to post something about how Metroid is one of the few non-kiddie franchises Nintendo has and if they put a cartoony art style on it, then he'll no longer be able to face the bullies at school by being able to say that Metroid is mature. It will just further solidfy Nintendo's reputation as being a kiddie console and company. It will be like the Wind Waker taking the dark, gritty Zelda he wanted and replacing it with a colorful cel-shaded world and how that was the worst move ever because Metroid can only be dark. He'd think that Nintendo should have learned their lesson from messing things up with Other M and further re-iterate how Nintendo isnt the same company he grew up with. He could post that but now that I've covered it all, what's the point?

2 hours later...

What we're going to toon shade Metroid too?

Those of you who like cutesy graphics you already have Mario, PokĂ©mon, Kirby, etc.  Why can't we have some variety from Nintendo franchises?  Why does every series of theirs have to be cutesy particularly when some of them weren't originally.  Somehow Nintendo was seen as kid friendly for years without Zelda and Metroid being as cartoony as Mario and yet Nintendo feels like they need to go further?  Assuming we discount Other M because it's embarrassing trash, right now the Metroid series is a great stylistic alternative to the more typical Nintendo style.  Why get rid of that?  And if you prefer a cutesy style are you already not significantly catered to?  Why take away a "mature" franchise from those that like it?

If the shoe was on the other foot, if they were making Mario all serious and "mature", there would be massive backlash.  But if it goes the other way those that don't like that something that is decades old being changed are just being insecure.  Give me a break.

Well done Mr Khush.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2014, 11:51:28 PM »
Nailed it.

I like to think he read my post but he was still so bothered by the idea he thought, screw it, I'm still making a post about it and going on record.

At the same time, I'm a bit worried that I can read something and immediately see it through Ian's eyes and know what he will say. I'm not sure this a good thing.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 06:36:53 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 01:27:42 AM »
I was wondering that myself. What a clueless, selfish misanthrope to STILL go through with hitting the post button. This thread has been here HALF A DECADE and yet here we are again..

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 12:27:25 PM »
I was considering making an Ian Sane tribute thread but never got around to it.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 01:24:53 PM »
I was considering making an Ian Sane tribute thread but never got around to it.

Cool story, bro!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2014, 01:40:48 PM »
Can we start some bingo? I already found a strawman in his latest rant.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2015, 07:07:00 PM »

I think Ian and Broodwars wrote this song together when they were wee tykes

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2015, 03:46:13 PM »
I like how Nintendo has no delusions over titles with in-game purchases and openly calls them "free-to-start."

I admire their honesty actually.  It's a much more accurate name.  "Free-to-play" sounds like an outright free game.
Wait what is this madness?

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2015, 10:43:25 PM »
Iwata: That’s very important. The way that (Shigeru) Miyamoto-san and the EAD make games, the idea comes not from the design, but from the function. The design comes after.

Nogami: That’s right.

Iwata: So you don’t approach making a game because you want to use a certain character.

Nogami: Right.

--From the Splatoon Iwata Asks. Just thought I would quote it for no reason whatsoever.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2015, 03:59:34 PM »
When I look at this I think "this is a really different take on a shooter" and that in a vacuum isn't a bad thing.  The problem is that because of Nintendo's poor third party support and their own lack of interest in the genre up until now the traditional shooter hasn't really been available to Nintendo fans.  An alternative shooter makes WAY more sense on a console with strong third party support where are there are tons of shooters.....

....Since I don't have much familiarity with third person or first person shooters due to sticking too close to Nintendo all these years I would like something that's a little more conventional that could show me what I've been missing.  I haven't missed Splatoon.  No one has.  It's really it's own thing.  Something in the Gears of War style is still completely foreign to a Nintendo-only gamer.  Nintendo is very talented so I figure if they did something more conventional they could do it better than everyone else.  I would prefer they go out and show the industry how shooters are done instead of doing some weird take on the genre that will likely be regarded as a curiosity at best and have no influence on the genre.

Fill the genre void first - then go with the alternative stuff.  Nintendo makes Fire Emblem first and then Codename S.T.E.A.M.  They didn't give us the weird and unconventional S.T.E.A.M. and said "there's your strategy game".  No, they didn't bust that out until after the genre gap was filled.  But with Splatoon they're giving us something weird and unconventional and saying "there's your shooter".

Nintendo announces Prime: Federation Forces, a more "traditional" shooter on 3DS
So this doesn't look like Metroid, play like Metroid and the main character isn't even present.  That's getting pretty far removed from the source material.

Ah but it does play the same because in Nintendo's mind Metroid Prime and Halo might as well be the same game because they have shooting and it's in a first person view.  That bothers me and was a big reason why Hunters bothered me as well.  I kind of expect a Japanese company to not get the FPS genre but Metroid Prime is something really special and NCL doesn't understand it.  To them it's just this weird foreigner game.  This is the company that tossed away Goldeneye/Perfect Dark and made no effort to replace it.  Except they probably think they did because Metroid Prime is superficially similar if you only look at screenshots and have never played either game.  So they can make this dumb bullshit and think "well this is an FPS, right?  So make it a Metroid Prime game."  Mission accomplished.

There are a lot of games being made these days that are inspired by 2D Metroid.  I get that it's an affordable formula for an indie.  What I would like is more games inspired by Metroid Prime, spiritual successors.  Obviously that needs a more bid budget dev.  I would be all over that because NCL don't know **** about what they have.  They piss Retro away on dumbed down 2D bullshit, throw the Metroid Prime name on any old **** and the creator of Metroid is a George Lucas-style hack.  I don't trust them with this anymore so let's see someone else give that general gameplay a try.