Author Topic: “I Am Only a Man” – An interpretation of the Bit.Trip Series  (Read 2663 times)

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
Having now completed Bit.Trip Fate, the fifth and penultimate entry in the Bit.Trip series, I thought it would be interesting to share my interpretation of the series thus far. Given how abstract the series has been, my interpretation almost certainly does not reflect the intentions of the developers, but it is possible to glean some clues from the games' levels designs, art and music.

Bit.Trip Beat – Birth

We come into existence. We are, however, capable of very little. This phase of our existence is all about Growth. We begin largely ignorant, but through exploration and experimentation we evolve, so that by the time we reach adolescence we have developed thoughts and concerns beyond our immediate needs.

Bit.Trip Core – Adolescence

At this point in our formation we have developed a sense of identity, but remain self-centred, believing that everything and everyone revolves around us. During this time things also seem chaotic. It’s no longer as simple as it once was. Not only do we instinctively deflect that which may injury us, but we now seek to actively pre-empt any such harmful experiences by putting up barriers

Bit.Trip Void – Adolescence/Young Adulthood

By the time we reach young adulthood our sense of ourselves has inflated, and it is at this point that we become over confident. Having left the family unit behind, we begin to pursue our own goals and motives. We are self-assured, but also egotistical. We worry little about how our actions can have repercussions for others, and seek only to benefit ourselves as individuals.

Bit.Trip Runner- Maturation

Ultimately, however, as we grow and develop we become more grounded individuals. We eventually become humbled by our experiences. With crucial life lessons learned, we are now equipped with a sense not only of ourselves, but also of others, and this realisation has the capacity to give our existence meaning, direction and purpose.

Bit.Trip Fate – Adulthood

We are at this point self-aware. We are aware of our goals and seek to apply meaning to our existence by pursing these goals. This in turn gives us a linear perspective on our existence, leading us to pursue our objectives rigidly, even to the extent that our motives and means appear callus.

Conclusion?

With the conclusion of the Bit.trip saga almost upon us, I fear for our pixelated protagonist. Without giving away any spoliers, the end of Bit.Trip Fate raises some series questions about CommanderVideo’s continued existence. My guess is that he will evolve beyond the limitations of his virtual world and in the process destroy it. Hey, no one said it would be a happy conclusion.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 06:02:51 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: “I Am Only a Man” – An interpretation of the Bit.Trip Series
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 10:23:47 PM »
HOLY ****, HE'S RIGHT.

Alex Neuse -- the previously mentioned creator of the Bit.Trip series -- has been forthcoming enough to reveal to us that each Bit.Trip game thus has been a metaphor for a stage of human development. The most recently released Bit.Trip game, Bit.Trip FATE, represents old age and death, while the first game in the series, Bit.Trip BEAT, is about the sperm and the egg getting together.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!