Author Topic: Episode 271: And I'll Form the Head!  (Read 11267 times)

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
Episode 271: And I'll Form the Head!
« on: December 18, 2011, 01:40:34 PM »

RFN assembles to share our shocking lists for the Top 5 games of 2011!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/28725

Sad news: Jon is still AWOL from the show. Good news: We don't need his sorry ass! Well, we do wish he was around but things tend to get crazy around the holidays, so we must go to battle with the forces we have. Anyway, James kicks it off with an update on the insufferably quirky Fishing Resort. Greg continues his affair with Mario Kart 7, shares a few thoughts on the GBA Ambassador launch, and debuts a surprise game that will delight and terrify long-time listeners! Jonny drives it home with his blooming adoration for Pushmo and an exuberant response to the new Club Nintendo awards.

Returning from the break, we divulge our personal Top 5 games of 2011 for Nintendo platforms. The rankings will assuredly ruffle feathers, which is frankly why we do them, and going around the virtual table gives us ample opportunity to revisit a great number of wonderful video games from throughout the year. We've also got honorable mentions and a few favorites from non-Nintendo systems, so perhaps your favorites will be represented at some point. If not, send in your list through this handy email form and maybe we'll read it on next week's special Christmas episode! (Note: due to the holiday, Ep. 272 will probably be posted a day or two later than normal. Don't freak!)

Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 271: And I'll Form the Head!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 03:07:56 PM »
Oh Jonny you make me LOL seriously.

" Did they add FUN to Kid Icarus? "  ;D :D :) :) :)

I totally agree with you 100% on Xevious and Kid Icarus

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 05:12:35 PM »
Won't have a chance to listen for a few days, just wanted to give a top o' the hat on the Voltron reference.

GO LION!

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 12:20:18 AM »
I just listened to the second segment and found it one of the most interesting we've done in a long time...and I was there. I really enjoyed it.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 01:34:24 AM »
This episode made me want to actually play the copy of Disaster: Day of Crisis I bought on the cheap when I was importing NPC Pikmin 2.

As always, my personal gaming preferences line up the closest to Greg out of everyone of the show. Super Mario 3D Land FTW.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlueStorm

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 09:41:09 AM »

Enjoyed the cast, but okay I get it.  You guys don't like Kid Icarus.  I still love that game despite its reverse difficulty level. (gets significantly easier from beginning to end). It was way better than most NES Stuff out there. I had all three "adventure series" titles, and enjoyed each one for different reasons.  I may have liked it less than the other two, but I must politely disagree with the hate given this game.  It had RPG elements, enjoyable music, and because of it, I still hold a special place of hatred in my heart for eggplant. 

Can't say I played enough this year to generate a top 5 list.   Wish I had picked up Radiant Historia when I had the chance.  Maybe they'll explore the possibility of downloadable full DS games to 3DS.
In the meantime I am going to attempt to work on a backlog of games I've bought but have yet to finish. 

Thanks for another great year of podcasts, I appreciate the dedication. 
<BR>

Offline BlueStorm

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 09:42:25 AM »
More importantly Ghost trick is $14.99 at amazon.com
<BR>

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 11:39:17 AM »
Surprised to hear what won "Game of the Year" when looking at the overall lists, but shouldn't be. It's a deserving candidate and was on my personal shortlist as well.

Really looking forward to playing Radiant Historia - and get more excited about it every time I hear RFN discuss the game. Grabbed a copy while it was still available, but just have too much going on to start playing. Maybe after finishing Xenoblade? That could still be months away at my current pace.
NNID: ejamer

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 11:43:11 AM »
This episode made me want to actually play the copy of Disaster: Day of Crisis I bought on the cheap when I was importing NPC Pikmin 2.

Planning on importing NPC Pikmin 2 when I have some spare cash (ie: after Christmas bills are paid off), and have been kicking around trying to track down Disaster at the same time. Hearing how hilariously bad it is makes the idea more appealing... are copies still available for cheap?
NNID: ejamer

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 11:53:52 AM »
More importantly Ghost trick is $14.99 at amazon.com

That note as well as the rave comments from the podcast has severely increased my chances of purchasing this item.

Got Fluidity with Club Nintendo coins.  Worth the minimal investment involved with an hour of playtime.  Still unsure of whether or not I would have regretted actually purchasing the game.  I might download the Mario vs Donkey Kong game, but need to do some more reading on how good a game it is.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 12:06:11 PM »
I guess I should play Ghost Trick then, I did the first 2-3 scenarios of it but not more than that. But I just bought Tales of the Abyss today.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 01:16:18 PM »
I didn't know that Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again was available as a Club Nintendo download.

Silly me, I ordered it assuming (i.e. without reading all off the accompanying text on the page) I would be able to download a DSIWARE GAME on my DSI. Apparently, I need a 3DS. Thanks, Nintendo. I just wasted 150 coins.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 03:20:40 PM »
BTW, Sequence is on Steam too and it's included in the Mega Indie Bundle right now.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 08:17:51 PM »
Got a chance to listen today. Not a lot to say other than it was just a stellar podcast.  So enjoyable.  The RFN crew is one of the few places to get legitimately intelligent game discussion.

I haven't been at a loss for games but I think this discussion has helped add a few more to the list.

Keep up the great work!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 12:56:51 AM »
OneTwenty, that really sucks but is probably due to the differences between the eShop (supports download codes) and the DSiWare Store. They really should make it clear in the checkout process -- you can probably get a coin refund if you call Nintendo customer service. They can easily enough check your Club Nintendo account to verify that you don't have a 3DS registered. On the other hand, you could send that code to a friend as a gift, or even arrange a trade so they send you a WiiWare game or something in return.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 01:26:04 AM »
Or save the code for when you do get a 3DS.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MoRZ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 12:16:58 PM »
Another stellar episode. I don't even know where to begin praising you guys again. Only lacks some Lindemann. Otherwise it has everything, Greg's stellar new business discussions, downplaying his private life by talkign about editing on a  Saturday night and another action movie reference, Disaster talk, James' life-consuming gaming habits and him dropping the big stylus and Jonny's in-depth explanations on his left-field choices. Very Nintendo-centric as well.
Hope you guys never stop...

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 02:08:37 PM »
It's true... needs more Lindy.  But really, there was something about this episode that just felt like a cut above.  I will probably shed a tear if the RFN band ever breaks up.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 02:52:48 PM »
It's true... needs more Lindy.  But really, there was something about this episode that just felt like a cut above.  I will probably shed a tear if the RFN band ever breaks up.

For the next episode, they should just cut-in some Lindy quote from other episodes.
- "Ok, insert self-deprecating old joke here"

- "And jest on how he never finishes games here"

"Perfect!  Nobody will be the wiser!"

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 04:54:30 PM »

For the next episode, they should just cut-in some Lindy quote from other episodes.
- "Ok, insert self-deprecating old joke here"

- "And jest on how he never finishes games here"

"Perfect!  Nobody will be the wiser!"

Whatever they gotta do so we can get our fix. =P

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 12:03:28 PM »
Hearing Johnny praise Skyward Sword made my head hurt. 

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 02:33:03 PM »
Haha! I have The Director Japanese copy of Disaster!

I actually have two copies of Disaster now, since I imported it when I imported Captain Rainbow.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2011, 03:32:16 PM »
I knew I should have listened to you guys months ago, Radiant Historia is next to impossible to find online now. I just looked it up on Amazon and the cheapest price from any seller is $84...

Also, I agree with Johnny regarding the story in Skyward Sword. I thought it was really interesting to see the roots of the legend and I felt like the presentation of it was very well executed (especially given the lack of voice work, which I'm fine with).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 03:34:02 PM by The_Darkest_Red »

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2011, 09:58:44 PM »
Killer episode. It could've used another 3DS vs smartphone games conversation though.

I should probably pick up Ghost Trick, eh?

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2011, 10:35:27 PM »
I'll be back for the last episode of 2011. Work whisked me away for this episode, and family travel (with no reliable access to internet/equipment) eliminates me from the next episode.

In terms of the best games of this year, I don't know if I've played enough of the relevant ones to really have a definite opinion.  I've played Zelda, Pokemon Black & White, and Fluidity, but I have yet to play...
  • Radiant Historia (in the backlog; had to get this before it disappeared)
  • Uncharted 3 (just got this as a gift, will play through it when I'm home next week; I feel like I know what to expect though)
  • Skyrim (don't own it)
  • Portal 2 (don't own it)
  • Super Mario 3D Land (don't own a 3DS)
  • Ghost Trick (don't own it, not really my bag though)
However, of what I've played, I'd be hard pressed to name anything but Skyward Sword as my 2011 GOTY. I honestly can't say whether or not I'd enjoy Skyrim more, and it'll be interesting to see how I feel about Uncharted 3 (will it be exactly what I expected, or will it surprise me?). I liked but didn't love the original Portal, so I couldn't see myself losing my mind over Portal 2, but I can't say for sure without playing it.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog