Author Topic: Xbox 360 Elite  (Read 12713 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Xbox 360 Elite
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2007, 07:30:29 AM »
I probably must buy the last XP laptop available.

REMEMBER THE ALAMO!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2007, 08:24:25 AM »
I've got a machine at Work that I'm running Vista on and it barely make the minimum specs.  Its dual boot and I tend to stay in Vista because its faster.

Anyway back on hand.  I'll only get the elite if the can guarentee me that they have designed out the original flaws.  If its just a repackaging and not a true revision I'll still be waiting.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2007, 08:45:48 AM »
Fast enough to run a 640x480 30fps DivX movie on a P2 400Mhz with 32mb of RAM and a 4mb video card? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
RE:Xbox 360 Elite
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2007, 10:05:39 AM »
Just wait Pro, I believe the X360 link will bring great things to video gaming!

What is better control for an fps? Some mouse/keyboard, other say standard controllers, (other yet say the Wii-mote, but it doesn't fit in this discussion) we can finally have some form of measurment! Who overall wins more games Vista players or X360 players will be that measuring stick. Of course the obvious connect is MMORPG's, but really this does have a lot of potential. AppleTV? Screw that! Let's hear it for VistaTV! Cnet reviewed AppleTV and gave it a 7.7 which I don't really understand with their initial breakdown:

The good: Sleek external design and elegant user interface; simple, streamlined setup; streams music and video files purchased from the iTunes Store; capable of HD video output; includes state-of-the-art 802.11n wireless networking while maintaining backwards compatibility with older Wi-Fi and wired networks; smooth, hiccup-free streaming.

The bad: Only streams iTunes content--leaving it up to you to get your videos into iTunes; current crop of iTunes movies and TV shows look much worse on a big-screen TV; no HD content on iTunes Store; can't connect to older non-wide-screen TVs; small 40GB hard drive has only 33GB of usable disk space; oversimplified remote can't control other devices; no ability to purchase iTunes Store content directly through Apple TV; no A/V cables included; no Internet radio support.

The bottom line: Although the current lack of high-quality video at the iTunes Store is a major shortcoming, the Apple TV delivers a simple and elegant streaming media solution.

How much smaller is the market if you ONLY broadcast to wide-screen TVs? Why not tap the entire market? The possibility of the a better system with the Vista - 360 connection would be great, all TV's are able to use it, you get more out of it, and with the inclusion of HDMI on the Elite systems, you have every connection type for a T.V. Sign me up!!

Edit: AppleTV's best features are the fact that it is only $300 compared to $479 for an Xbox360, though like I said before you get more out of it. The other thing is that is say Apple on it, and works like, and with and iPod. That will tough for MS to overcome.  
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2007, 11:05:13 AM »
Considering that most of the market for appletv would probably be for higher end tv users it is not that bad of a split.

MaryJane you are the kind of customer that companies love.  All they really need to do is give you a new color and/or say its rare and you jump all over it.  Considering that if ms has half a brain they will be dropping the regular system price sometime this year, especially with the way Wii is going, I wouldn't hold out for an even more ridiculous price point for reasons like that.
I am still in awe that ms has the balls to up the price of the xbox when I thought $400 was already ridiculous.  I think that is the primary reason that the 360 is lagging behind the orignal xbox in sales. (the last I heard it was, at least, or has it changed?)  This is just going to confuse the hell out of everyone when they see 3 sku's of the same freaking system.  At least if I drop 500 on the low ps3 I get a bluray player and the ability to be a tech dick about it.  

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2007, 12:47:37 PM »

Originally posted by: SixthAngel
Considering that most of the market for appletv would probably be for higher end tv users it is not that bad of a split.

MaryJane you are the kind of customer that companies love.  All they really need to do is give you a new color and/or say its rare and you jump all over it.  Considering that if ms has half a brain they will be dropping the regular system price sometime this year, especially with the way Wii is going, I wouldn't hold out for an even more ridiculous price point for reasons like that.

I was already going to buy one,  the fact that it has extra features makes it even better, since I think an extra $80 to be different is worth it.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2007, 02:09:25 PM »
Personally, I think that if the 360 was rock solid hardware wise from the get go it would have at least 50% more units sold.  I probably be one of those people.  As of yet I can't spend that sort of money on something with such a bad reliability track record even though it is getting better.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Jin-X

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2007, 02:17:22 PM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
TrueNerd:  If Microsoft made the Pro unit for $300.00 or even $349.99 I would consider buying an Xbox 360 for the first time.  Though I really doubt that will happen.

If an Xbox 360 was priced at $300.00 I wonder what that would do to the market.  The Price of the Wii would need to be dropped, perhaps to $199.99  And the PS3 would be left looking very expensive.

But I don't believe in any way shape or form that the current Premium Package would go for the price of the Core any time soon.

The Wii is still selling out = no need to drop the price.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2007, 04:23:36 AM »
Has there been unconfirmation of built in wireless with the Elite?

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2007, 04:29:50 PM »
I haven't seen anyone reputable mention anything about built-in wireless, I don't think that's happening.

Kotaku's latest story mentions that they will indeed be using the redesigned 65nm chips though, and will be able to utilize the IPTV stuff.  Maybe this one will run cool enough to keep inside your entertainment center?

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2007, 08:01:19 PM »

The bad: Only streams iTunes content--leaving it up to you to get your videos into iTunes; current crop of iTunes movies and TV shows look much worse on a big-screen TV; no HD content on iTunes Store; can't connect to older non-wide-screen TVs; small 40GB hard drive has only 33GB of usable disk space; oversimplified remote can't control other devices; no ability to purchase iTunes Store content directly through Apple TV; no A/V cables included; no Internet radio support.

Heh. They've already opened up AppleTV and the techies are showing off awesome new tricks. New formats (Xvid comes to mind), streaming content from the network, bigger hard drives. Don't worry, they'll get it to a point where people can either follow through step-by-step, or take the items to a friend who has the right tools and do it all the same.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2007, 07:25:13 AM »

Originally posted by: Shift Key

Heh. They've already opened up AppleTV and the techies are showing off awesome new tricks. New formats (Xvid comes to mind), streaming content from the network, bigger hard drives. Don't worry, they'll get it to a point where people can either follow through step-by-step, or take the items to a friend who has the right tools and do it all the same.

Still wouldn't get one.  I hate being jerked around by not even having the most basic of cords, I'm looking at you printer market.  Also I don't use iTune out of principle, cost and annoyance they have brought to my life as an admin.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2007, 07:29:56 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
Personally, I think that if the 360 was rock solid hardware wise from the get go it would have at least 50% more units sold.  I probably be one of those people.  As of yet I can't spend that sort of money on something with such a bad reliability track record even though it is getting better.

Which would be compensated for by all the repeat business they would lose.  Actually, MS may refurbish most of the busted 360s (which might further explain the terrible reliability problems!!) but seriously, they'd lose at least a few sales due to people not having to buy several.

I honestly think MS has bigger problems than the hardware...that's definitely keeping some hardcore gamers on the fence, but there are tens of millions of casual gamers out there who obviously aren't buying 360, and probably don't realize how unreliable it is either.   I think the price and the very westernized, violent game lineup are the problem.  One 360 owner I know owns only one game - he doesn't like shooters.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2007, 08:51:04 AM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey

Which would be compensated for by all the repeat business they would lose.  Actually, MS may refurbish most of the busted 360s (which might further explain the terrible reliability problems!!) but seriously, they'd lose at least a few sales due to people not having to buy several.

I honestly think MS has bigger problems than the hardware...that's definitely keeping some hardcore gamers on the fence, but there are tens of millions of casual gamers out there who obviously aren't buying 360, and probably don't realize how unreliable it is either.   I think the price and the very westernized, violent game lineup are the problem.  One 360 owner I know owns only one game - he doesn't like shooters.

I agree with that as well.  Though the reliability issue was big news even out of the Gaming circles so I wouldn't discount non-gamers not knowing.  MS also knows they have that problem.  There stuck in the opposite trap then Nintendo.  Developers see them as Hardcore and so does everyone else.

I think right now if you had a great E game concept for the 360 MS would probably fund a large portion of your advertising and developement.  They need breadth.  They know it.  Why do you think Viva Pinata was pushed?

More Breadth would be nice but compared to the PS3 right now and especially next 2 months, when they cripple all regions BC's, they look like the land o'plenty of choice.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2007, 11:26:24 AM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey
I think right now if you had a great E game concept for the 360 MS would probably fund a large portion of your advertising and developement.  They need breadth.  They know it.  Why do you think Viva Pinata was pushed?

More Breadth would be nice but compared to the PS3 right now and especially next 2 months, when they cripple all regions BC's, they look like the land o'plenty of choice.

Breadth: 1 : distance from side to side : WIDTH
2 : something of full width
3 a : comprehensive quality : SCOPE <the breadth of his learning> b : liberality of views or taste <breadth of mind>
- breadth·wise  /-"wIz/ adverb or adjective

Which of these definitions did you mean by the word "breadth"?  I did not understand what you meant.  Now, if you had said variety, then I would understand you perfectly.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2007, 03:58:23 AM »
3a.  Was what I meant.  The quality and scope.  I was also thinking about this at the time.  The 360 have more things on different branches of its product tree.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2007, 10:52:39 PM »
Well Microsoft finally announced the elite 360, 479.99 and you get:  "the controller and Xbox Live headset included in the package are black as well. The Elite SKU will be priced at $479.99, come with a 120GB HDD, an HDMI port and will be available on in North America and Canada on Sunday, April 29, 2007.

This new version of Xbox 360 is made up of the same inside parts as launch Xbox 360s, meaning it features the same processor, DVD drive, as well as all other internal guts of the original Xbox 360 launched in 2005. "

And for the people with a 360 before the elite came out: "Microsoft announced on Wednesday that it will be shipping a standalone version of the 120GB hard drive, which will retail for $179.99. The standalone HDD comes with software for the drive and a transfer cable, which regular Xbox 360 owners can use to move their current data to the 120GB HDD."

Microsoft is now planning to keep 3 SKUs of the 360 but Microsoft's requirements reflect on the core and pro 360's so no one gets screwed. Also Microsoft is offering accessories in black or white.

source
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2007, 12:51:58 AM »
What a waste of money... I think I'd just get the 300€ one.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2007, 01:30:15 AM »
Nice!

April is going to be a big month! At least for me anyway.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2007, 02:37:44 AM »
Wow, North America and Canada?  That's really impressive.  Do you think they'll release it in the U.S., too?

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2007, 04:04:41 AM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear
Wow, North America and Canada?  That's really impressive.  Do you think they'll release it in the U.S., too?

Lol too funny.

There are spyshots of the new Elite here but I can't get the page to load correctly. Maybe someone else will have better luck.

Edit: I left the page up for a few minutes and it worked itself out.  

Edit2: IGN also has a picture up. In the article MS takes a couple shots at the PS3 of course, saying how the Elite now has better features than the PS3 and is still cheaper.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2007, 04:12:23 AM »

Originally posted by: Lord_die_seis
Well Microsoft finally announced the elite 360, 479.99 and you get:  "the controller and Xbox Live headset included in the package are black as well. The Elite SKU will be priced at $479.99, come with a 120GB HDD, an HDMI port and will be available on in North America and Canada on Sunday, April 29, 2007.

This new version of Xbox 360 is made up of the same inside parts as launch Xbox 360s, meaning it features the same processor, DVD drive, as well as all other internal guts of the original Xbox 360 launched in 2005. "

And for the people with a 360 before the elite came out: "Microsoft announced on Wednesday that it will be shipping a standalone version of the 120GB hard drive, which will retail for $179.99. The standalone HDD comes with software for the drive and a transfer cable, which regular Xbox 360 owners can use to move their current data to the 120GB HDD."

Microsoft is now planning to keep 3 SKUs of the 360 but Microsoft's requirements reflect on the core and pro 360's so no one gets screwed. Also Microsoft is offering accessories in black or white.

Also McAfee advices against the site that was linked above.

source

No sale.  Doesn't even have wireless.  I care not for this and will be waiting the revision.

Offline Ages

• Wii the People
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2007, 04:27:37 AM »
HDMI seems kind of pointless when the HD DVD add on cannot even support it
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you n

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2007, 04:31:23 AM »
X-Box 360 Home Basic.  
X-Box 360 Home Premium.  
X-Box 360 Ultimate (even comes in black).  

I'm gonna assume X-Box 360 Professional would be the devkits now.  

Can't say you don't have choices now, but $179 for a HD?  Damn, I've seen 200GB+ for a PC go far cheaper than that.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2007, 04:35:04 AM »
What about X-Box 360 Home Server?
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)