Author Topic: Xbox 360 Elite  (Read 12712 times)

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
Xbox 360 Elite
« on: March 22, 2007, 01:03:26 AM »
Cnet has an article up about this, as does IGN but the Cnet article is better IMO.

I have been holding off getting an X360 so I can get a Wii first, but if this comes out before I get a Wii, I will be buying this.
If only the Wii were to come out in black, I'm going to have to buy a case for my Wii, but I digress.

New Features:
120GB HDD - Confirmed
It's Black - Confirmed
1080p Output - Confirmed
$479 - Unconfirmed
Built in WiFi - Unconfirmed
Built in HD DVD Drive - Unconfirmed
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Xbox 360 Elite
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 03:37:16 AM »
They have Confirmed that there will be no built in HD-DVD drive.
according to MS they rather give the console owners the choice of wanting an HD-DVD drive or not and on top of that nether format has much of a share of the market so its pointless to put either of them into it.

There is talk that the HD-DVD drive is going to be dropping to about $120. So with that in mind the Elite Xbox360 with HD-DVD drive is the same Price as the 60GB PS3.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline hudsonhawk

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Xbox 360 Elite
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 04:45:50 AM »
Where are you hearing the $120 rumor on the HD-DVD drive?  Are you getting that from the Kotaku story?

Just curious.  I hope they do drop the price, but that Kotaku story was probably the worst thing they've ever run - it was based on one single post on CheapAssGamer.  No one else there was able to duplicate it.  And then in typical Kotaku fashion ran an article declaring HD-DVD dead because one guy said the drive was $120 at his Walmart.

Ah, Kotaku.  Acting like journalists, but only when it serves them.

That said, I really hope they drop the price. I'd pick one up in a heartbeat at $120.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 05:49:44 AM »

Originally posted by: hudsonhawk
Where are you hearing the $120 rumor on the HD-DVD drive?  Are you getting that from the Kotaku story?

Just curious.  I hope they do drop the price, but that Kotaku story was probably the worst thing they've ever run - it was based on one single post on CheapAssGamer.  No one else there was able to duplicate it.  And then in typical Kotaku fashion ran an article declaring HD-DVD dead because one guy said the drive was $120 at his Walmart.

Ah, Kotaku.  Acting like journalists, but only when it serves them.

That said, I really hope they drop the price. I'd pick one up in a heartbeat at $120.

Actually I'd say Kotaku almost never pretends to be journalists. Unlike, say, Joystiq.

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 06:19:07 AM »
Well, I was referring to that whole Sony incident, where Kotaku pitched a fit and rallied their users when Sony was going to take away their demo unit and presser access.  There was a definited "we're taking the high road" tone to that whole thing.  I know I'm in the minority, but I lost a lot of respect for Kotaku when that went down.  But this is beyond unsubstantiated.  Rumors are great, making broad sweeping conclusions from a single post on CheapAssGamer is fanboy baiting, plain and simple.

But yeah, I agree, Joystiq is worse.  I can't read it at all.  GameSetWatch is my fallback gaming blog, but it can be pretty esoteric (not Insert Credit esoteric, but esoteric nonetheless).  

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 06:33:26 AM »
If it included an HD-DVD drive, I'd be sold. I have no need for HDMI, since the XBox 360 can already display 1080p over component and VGA. Also, as soon as they start selling 120GB HDDs, you'll be able to buy your own for much less, and swap out the one inside the HDD case.  
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 06:52:54 AM »
If this comes true I'll probably pick up a used 360 for cheap off of eBay.  I'm sure there will be loads of people wanting to unload their old systems.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 07:02:35 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu
If this comes true I'll probably pick up a used 360 for cheap off of eBay.  I'm sure there will be loads of people wanting to unload their old systems.
But would you still be covered under the 1 year warranty?

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 08:09:41 AM »
When this comes out, they should make the Pro unit the new Core unit. For $300. That and some good games that aren't shooters would almost solidify my purchase of a 360.  

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 08:42:27 AM »
GameCUBE --> xBOX

Revolution ---> 360

DS LITE --> Xbox 360 eLITE
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 08:45:55 AM »
Spooky.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 08:54:37 AM »
TrueNerd:  If Microsoft made the Pro unit for $300.00 or even $349.99 I would consider buying an Xbox 360 for the first time.  Though I really doubt that will happen.

If an Xbox 360 was priced at $300.00 I wonder what that would do to the market.  The Price of the Wii would need to be dropped, perhaps to $199.99  And the PS3 would be left looking very expensive.

But I don't believe in any way shape or form that the current Premium Package would go for the price of the Core any time soon.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 09:11:38 AM »
Boooo I want HDMI cable connections for my Xbox 360! Sure I don't have a 1080p TV, but at least the HDMI provides a higher quality picture than component.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 09:29:24 AM »
Not one that the human eye can measure.

The only quality advantage HDMI offers is added insurance against EMF interference due to a digital signal.  If you've already got component hookups and no interference problems plaguing your geography/setup, then HDMI offers no quality boost.  You just simply have a few less cables to hookup.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 09:38:19 AM »
That's simply not true.  I'm guessing you're just assuming this and you've never done a side by side comparison?

With component and VGA the signal is going from digital to analog, going over a wire, and then getting turned from analog back into digital again.

With HDMI and DVI-d the signal stays digital the whole time.

HDMI has a higher color palette than component as well (component has constrained bandwidth, even versus VGA which is why even it looks better).

I'm not saying component looks bad, but dismissing it outright as something the human eye can't perceive is outright false.  The difference is very apparent if you do an A/B.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 09:45:25 AM »
I slipped and fell.

I wish everything used USB.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 10:20:57 AM »
Making it more expensive, this is exactly what I needed to push me into buying an xbox.  Is this some lame attempt to steal some buyers from the ps3 because these upgrades seem pretty pointless to me.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 11:57:04 AM »
Yeah... aren't they supposed to be trying to gun for a cheaper, more mass market price point???

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 02:21:13 PM »
I'm not surprised about the lack of HD-DVD. Microsoft is still a software company at heart, and will have to support Blu-ray if it wins the format wars. There are no plans for HD-DVD games, so is an internal drive really needed? Besides, HD-DVD's max output is 1080i if I'm not mistaken, component cables are good enough.

What I'm surprised is the lack of built-in Wi-Fi. HDMI ports aren't that expensive, right? So where's the extra $179 coming from? Built-in Wi-Fi would basically seal the deal. It would fit Microsoft's vision of the connected entertainment hub.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 04:27:46 PM »

Originally posted by: Djunknown
Besides, HD-DVD's max output is 1080i if I'm not mistaken, component cables are good enough.

HD-DVD is natively 1080p, just like Blu-Ray.  The only significant difference between the two formats is disk space and compression algorithms.

So where's the extra $179 coming from? Built-in Wi-Fi would basically seal the deal. It would fit Microsoft's vision of the connected entertainment hub.

It's only $79 more expensive.  Not justifying it, just questioning your math.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2007, 04:37:25 PM »
MS really doesn't need to justify any of their prices. They are selling the Wifi adapter for 100$, the 20 GB HD for 100$, and a freaken 64mb memory card for 40$. Chances are that they are trying to cut down their losses even more with this new bundle.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2007, 06:13:24 PM »

Originally posted by: Djunknown
I'm not surprised about the lack of HD-DVD. Microsoft is still a software company at heart, and will have to support Blu-ray if it wins the format wars.

Assuming there is a "winner", and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray don't go on to be the next Laserdisc.

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
MS really doesn't need to justify any of their prices. They are selling the Wifi adapter for 100$, the 20 GB HD for 100$, and a freaken 64mb memory card for 40$.

So because Microsoft is already horribly over charging for their peripheral, they don't need to justify their pricing scheme ...wait, what?
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2007, 07:47:03 PM »
Every time I read the title I think "Freeform space trading sim for the 360?"...

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2007, 06:46:56 AM »
It's a new Star Trek game, right?

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2007, 07:22:30 AM »
There are two main reasons I want to buy the Elite, and they are both personal faults.

1. I'm a sucker for anything dubbed "Collectors Edition"(I have 60+ DVDs and 85% are special edtions) as long of course it offers worthy improvements over the non-special edition, price is a non-issue reasonably speaking. (When Halo 3 comes out, I'll will at the very least buy the "middle" special edition, maybe not the helmet, that's going to depend on what the helmet is made of. If it at least feels like a real battle helmet, then I'll get it.

2. I love black. Most of my clothes are black, and I wish more electronics were black, I was really annoyed that the PS3 is the only black console for now. I did see a nice black case Wii case at IGN, they also have a chrome one I'm considering as well. (Of course I first need a Wii, cuz I still can't find one).

I have wanted an X360 for sometime, despite what the haters might say, there are a lot of good games for this system, and as much as I love the Wii, I miss graphics that make me go WOW!

Also there are some games that were exclusive to the PS3 that made me think of getting one in a few years when the price dropped, now developers are porting those same games to the X360, not all have been ported over just yet, but I'm hoping that they will be. (Final Fantasy ::crosses fingers:: )

Until Nintendo (if ever) re-establishes itself as the ultimate gaming machine (with the Wii 2) and all games are made for it, good or bad, I'm going to need a second console. Last-gen it was PS2, because it had all the good RPG's many that I am still playing since I only bought a PS2 in late 2005.

I'm also excited about the possibilities of connecting the X360 to Vista controlled computers. I know there's a lot of hate for Vista, and I agree with it only for purchasing it for an old system. If you're buying a new desktop or laptop, I see no reason not to get Vista, it may not be perfect, (don't hold your breath for a perfect OS) but it works well, and has (maybe just purely aesthetics) better features than XP.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.