Author Topic: "If" Star Fox U is coming before Zelda, isn't about time for a trailer?  (Read 16774 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: "If" Star Fox U is coming before Zelda, isn't about time for a trailer?
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2015, 03:26:54 PM »
I never got the appeal to Star Fox honestly, I mean it was dated before it was released.

I agree in that I find the SNES Star Fox to actually be the weakest game. However, Star Fox 64 gave a better picture of what the series could be and was closer to the vision a lot of fans had about it when it first came out on the SNES and had Nintendo Power comics made of it. I love the idea of space adventures with animals. *GASP* Animal Crossing in Space! That's a genius idea. I must make sure no one steals it....

Back on track, Star Fox is a bit like the Star Wars of the Nintendo Universe. You could make a lot of parallels between the two series. Unlike Mario, it had a history already to it with many characters and personalities and motivations. Rather than go through the whole origins of everything, you just dive into that world and start in the middle of where these characters are.

I guess it's the same thing that appeals to me a bit about F-Zero. You have all these crazy and interesting racers and you wonder a bit what that world is like and what kinds of other stories and histories there are. What other planets are there to explore and see. And the opening cinematic of Star Fox 64 and Star Fox: Assault with the crew assembling to head into battle with the mission type music playing is another little thing that just appeals to me. I want to join up with this crew and head off into spectacular adventures and battles.

Here's the Assault intro again:

I have no idea how many times I've watched that but I still love it. The music, the call to action and the glimpses of interesting Lylat locations and missions. To me, that brief little opening encapsulates why I'm still excited about Star Fox and why I'll always care about this franchise.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2015, 03:28:40 PM »
When the black screen of the trailer shows up with Falco's voice coming in over the intercom, then the screen flashes with HD Corneria, all the haters will wet their beds! I know I will.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2015, 03:29:58 PM »
Then don't be a hater and you can sleep in a dry bed tomorrow.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2015, 03:51:09 PM »
I just realized that I've been basing my franchise tier level based on characters in Smash64. The original 8. Maybe back then it was correct but now...

I never have expectations for ND but for some reason I'm expecting the world maybe the Universe.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2015, 04:09:48 PM »
I think Star Fox could thrive in an Episodic nature if its truly episodic and not just a bigger game split up.

Have a bit of self contained story that feeds into the overall plot and allow them to mix it up some.  Like if you don't want to do the Land Master episode you don't have too and can still do the episode afterwards without being totally lost.

Think American Cartoon vs Anime.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2015, 07:03:24 PM »
Personally, my favorite air combat game is still Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 1 and 2 and I'd love if Star Fox were to follow in that direction. Alternate routes aren't a big draw for me so I don't mind a linear progression. Just make the levels fun with varied objectives. An episodic formula might be a good solution in that it is like taking alternate routes but they are all laid out in linear fashion. You just pick your episode and that's the route you'd take. I hope I'm making that thought clear.

I'm a big fan of the Rogue Squadron games as well and that seems like the logical path the Star Fox series should have taken.  Though by the time Star Fox Assault came around Rogue Leader had already done it.  Both series have a point where the devs tried to incorporate on-foot missions and both were a total disaster and that has pretty much spooked everyone on the idea of leaving the vehicles.  The feeling is that they have to stay in the vehicles but then that starts to restrict the design itself and the whole idea comes across as too "small" to be a fully priced game.

Star Fox is basically just straightforward shooter missions but aren't there tons of first and third person shooters that do that but don't come across as too short?  I'm sure if you can make "shoot all the bad guys in a glorified corridor" exciting enough to justify a full price you can do the same thing from within an Arwing.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2015, 09:15:25 PM »
Maybe the Arwing can transform into a mech for ground missions like Macross? And, I don't want any episodic BS, give me a full game dammit. (I'll take any Star fox I can get)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2015, 09:19:28 PM »
Maybe the Arwing can transform into a mech for ground missions like Macross?

In other words, Star Fox 2. :P
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2015, 10:10:03 PM »

In other words, Star Fox 2. :P:

I'm not familiar with Star Fox 2, other than it was near complete and then never released for some reason. Details brother?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2015, 10:29:17 PM »

In other words, Star Fox 2. :P:

I'm not familiar with Star Fox 2, other than it was near complete and then never released for some reason. Details brother?

In the "prototype" version of Star Fox 2 that exact mechanic of transforming into ground walkers is in there.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2015, 01:18:53 AM »

In other words, Star Fox 2. :P: : :

In the "prototype" version of Star Fox 2 that exact mechanic of transforming into ground walkers is in there.

Precisely.

On a side note, if aircraft that can transform into mecha Macross-style is your thing (as it is mine), I'd recommend you hunt down a copy of Robotech: Battlecry for the GameCube. Not a phenomenal game by any stretch of the imagination, but it prominently features that mechanic.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 01:21:09 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2015, 07:25:19 AM »

I bought the Limited Edition way back when. Tshirt, art book dog tags, the whole nine. And your right it wasn't super duper but it got the job done.(And they finally got the Macross/Robotech style missiles done the right way).

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2015, 09:47:42 AM »
Dang, sorry Boogie

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2015, 09:54:48 AM »
THIS IS BULLSHIT!...this game is never coming out is it?

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2015, 09:58:42 AM »
It will be there at E3. The game will probably release in the Fall so it can wait.

And by Fall I mean Spring 2016.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2015, 10:13:38 AM »
I..this...why?

"How does she take me to the prom and not wanna dance with me? I bought a tux, rented a nice car and everything but I guess she just needed a ride."

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2015, 08:04:04 PM »

In other words, Star Fox 2. :P: : : :

Precisely.

On a side note, if aircraft that can transform into mecha Macross-style is your thing (as it is mine), I'd recommend you hunt down a copy of Robotech: Battlecry for the GameCube. Not a phenomenal game by any stretch of the imagination, but it prominently features that mechanic.

I second this, I loved that game it was flawed but it was pretty good for what it was considering the Gamecubes overall library.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2015, 11:55:26 PM »
THIS IS BULLSHIT!...this game is never coming out is it?

Even if the game comes out this summer, there can easily be two more Nintendo Directs between now and then.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2015, 12:05:26 AM »
I think there will be more than that. Since August last year, we've had a Direct every month except December. It could be that this becomes a monthly thing. It's what I've started to suspect may yet occur.

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2015, 04:50:14 PM »
Last year they had games to reveal, do they still have games to reveal for next year and the rest of this year though? Maybe they will need to hype of New 3DS (still an idiotic name), or will they leave some room for Wii U? They can't support both systems they are spread too thin as it is, so either they devote resources to Wii U and neglect New 3DS and leave it out to dry, OR they neglect Wii U thinking, erroneously, that they handful of token games announced so far actually is enough and then they sit back with their thumbs up their butts and watch people not buy either system.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2015, 08:19:49 PM »
i wish Reggie or iwata would just force Nintendo directors to watch Star wars and Ninja turtles(89), just so they unconsciously yearn to push a good star fox out.

same deal with Metroid, force Aliens series and Star wars on Nintendo employees.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 08:21:23 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2015, 10:25:31 PM »
There's definitely going to still be games for the rest of the year.  This Direct was clearly for the spring.  There will likely be one for summer detailing Star Fox and w/e Miyamoto is working on.  And maybe like two for Zelda and one just for Splatoon.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2015, 10:29:07 PM »
Ah, Star Fox Assault... I really dug the Star Fox team's look in there. I wish Smash Bros. used that model instead of the dorky Command one.

Anyway, Assault is a game I really enjoyed. Held no figurative candles to 64, but it was a nice game with excellent music, nice spectacle, and a robust multiplayer mode.

As for Star Fox on Wii U, remember that Captain Toad and many games like it had an E3 trailer in the past and then released that very year. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new trailer and a debut demo at E3 with a release in the fall.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2015, 01:07:30 PM »
After so long I I'm happy we are getting a new Star Fox and if it's episodic fine, give me a bunch of missions in pieces then. I do worry about the controls though. We do know the angle of the ship and aiming reticle are separated this time. I guess like Sin and Punishment? Which isn't bad at all but part of that will be motion based and I worry just a little bit.

What Miyamoto described sounds very similar to the Metroid game in Nintenoland. As a matter of fact that was supposed to be Star Fox but they changed it since Star Fox's ships don't move like that. You can bet some of the will now though, like a helicopter or something. I found the ship controls in Metroid Blast to be fun but I'm not entirely convinced. Well mostly for extended multiplayer sessions any way.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2015, 02:17:11 PM »
My only complaints with Assault were the campy voice acting and the multiplayer being limited to 4 people. The game needed 16-player LAN support.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast