Author Topic: Sony's Back: Settles with Immersion (Rumble!!!) and PS3 Home (Miis and Achievements!!!)  (Read 34927 times)

Offline Pittbboi

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
yeah, but it still has the basic 2D platform "get from point A to point B while solving puzzles along the way" aspect. Just on a more fluid scale.

Offline WPack911

• View Profile
I really think that PS3 home and the Mii's on Wii are very different and the only thing that makes them any like each other are the fact that they some type of 3D avatar.  

I think PS3 home is the most interesting thing Sony has done with PS3 yet and though yes they may have been inspired by the Mii system some, instead of flat out copying it at least they tried to be innovative.  I still want to see it more before I am completely sold though, cause Sony has a bad habit of making promises and never coming though with them.  I totally agree with the Second Life comparison's though, if anyone should be calling Sony a copy cat right now it's that games fans and developers.

-WPack911
Does Nintendo Still rule after all these years?  Maybe now more then ever.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
The Xbox360 and PS3 are nothing but upgrades of their previous design.  They offer more power and nothing more (unless you want to count PS3's sixaxis stuff)  While the Wii by design offers change in how games are played and possibly perceived.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
LittleBigPlanet definately seems like a non-game, sure it runs by a 2D platformer but it seems more focused on tinkering with things and looking at the purty visuals than deep or even challenging gameplay.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Home is a ripoff of 2nd Life designed to drop even more of Sony's crap on its fans.

1. Both games give you a customizable avatar.
2. Both games make you buy virtual stuff with real money.
3. Both games force you to look at advertisements you don't want to see while the game's creator profits.

Sony took someone else's idea and used it as their own. Nothing new here. Move along.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Home is a ripoff of 2nd Life designed to drop even more of Sony's crap on its fans.

1. Both games give you a customizable avatar.
2. Both games make you buy virtual stuff with real money.
3. Both games force you to look at advertisements you don't want to see while the game's creator profits.

Sony took someone else's idea and used it as their own. Nothing new here. Move along.

Not true, they have littlebigplanet which has shiney graphical effects and physics that everyone loves, even though there isn't much else. That is innovation at its finest.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
Not true, they have littlebigplanet which has shiney graphical effects and physics that everyone loves, even though there isn't much else. That is innovation at its finest.

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix's Signature
Pick up your copy of Sonic Tilt N Tumble for Wii, it is innovation at its finest

...huh...

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com  
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Pittbboi

• View Profile

Not true, they have littlebigplanet which has shiney graphical effects and physics that everyone loves, even though there isn't much else.

Are you kidding? There's plenty besides graphics and physics (though that shouldn't be scoffed at. That's like saying Mario is nothing but jumping). The game has mad character.

PR:

LittleBigPlanet starts with players learning about the powers of their chosen characters to interact physically with the environment. There are obstacles to explore, items to collect and puzzles to solve -- requiring community-based teamwork and brainpower. As players begin to explore, their creative skills grow and they will be ready to start creating and modifying their surroundings -- the first step to sharing them with the whole world. Ultimately, levels of the game will be user generated on a worldwide scale and will change everyday as players create, publish and share their own levels.

Users have the power to design, shape and build both objects and entire locations for others to play. Players can make their world as open or as secretive to explore as they like. When it's ready, they can invite anyone within the LittleBigPlanet universe to come and explore their "patch," or they can go and explore everybody else's. Other notable features and characteristics of the community-based game include:

-- Players craft their own individual experience. There's not just one way to play.
-- Unlimited possibilities for user-created content -- players can customize everything: their characters, the landscape around them and their own "patch" on LittleBigPlanet.
-- Players discover and win new skills and items to aid them on their creative journey.
-- Online and offline multiplayer modes -- work as a team or get competitive.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Sarcasm, Kairon.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Pittbboi

Not true, they have littlebigplanet which has shiney graphical effects and physics that everyone loves, even though there isn't much else.

Are you kidding? There's plenty besides graphics and physics (though that shouldn't be scoffed at. That's like saying Mario is nothing but jumping). The game has mad character.

PR:

LittleBigPlanet starts with players learning about the powers of their chosen characters to interact physically with the environment. There are obstacles to explore, items to collect and puzzles to solve -- requiring community-based teamwork and brainpower. As players begin to explore, their creative skills grow and they will be ready to start creating and modifying their surroundings -- the first step to sharing them with the whole world. Ultimately, levels of the game will be user generated on a worldwide scale and will change everyday as players create, publish and share their own levels.

Users have the power to design, shape and build both objects and entire locations for others to play. Players can make their world as open or as secretive to explore as they like. When it's ready, they can invite anyone within the LittleBigPlanet universe to come and explore their "patch," or they can go and explore everybody else's. Other notable features and characteristics of the community-based game include:

-- Players craft their own individual experience. There's not just one way to play.
-- Unlimited possibilities for user-created content -- players can customize everything: their characters, the landscape around them and their own "patch" on LittleBigPlanet.
-- Players discover and win new skills and items to aid them on their creative journey.
-- Online and offline multiplayer modes -- work as a team or get competitive.

That is all well and good, but so far we've only seen a video of the game being played, knowing Sony's background they definately tend to overexagerrate gameplay features or try to steer people's opinion by prettying up things (PS3 and PS2 cinematics instead of gameplay?) . I've never had much trust in Sony to create much of anything innovative. Could the game be amazing? Perhaps, but to get excited about it now seems like a real leap of faith for a company that has one of the more erradic track records when it comes to game quality, much less innovation!

Offline WalkingTheCow

• View Profile
I'm unsure due to your wording. . . Did you only see the video of the run through the level or did you also watch the video with them showing off the editor and the brief explanation of the sharing system?

After watching all of it, I gotta say it's looking like the sort of thing I've been hoping for. It looks bloody brillilant. I'm terriblly depressed because now I'll have to spend money on a PS3 at some point down the line.

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
dude download a free copy of Second Life, you'll get the same exact experience and then some.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Little Big Planet is pretty cool. Sony may be publishing, but the developers apparently come from the Indie scene, which is why it feels so fresh and all.

Essentially... imagine little big planet as a single or multiplayer 2D platformer.... with a level editor that looks like The Incredible Machine! It's got the inventiveness of lemmings, the drag and drop level creation of Elebits, the art style of a velveteen rabbit and the gameplay of some strange cousin of Yoshi's Island.

Little Big Planet is pretty neat. Home, on the other hand, is blah.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Kairon
Little Big Planet is pretty cool. Sony may be publishing, but the developers apparently come from the Indie scene, which is why it feels so fresh and all.

Rag Doll Kung-Fu - From the makers of Little Big Planet

enjoy

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Little Big Planet makes the PS3, at most, a 2011 purchase when it's at $300 or so. Sorry, but what I can get for $660 from Nintendo or Microsoft would give me a lot more long-term pleasure.

That said, it does look neat.

Offline WalkingTheCow

• View Profile
*wonders if capamerica thought I was talking about Home. . .*

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
I shall make a prediction:

Little Big Planet will be the Psychonauts of this generation. It would sell great on a Nintendo platform, but be overlooked by most on the PS3 platform. Critics will love it, but Mr Halo/Madden will ignore it.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
I shall make a prediction:

Little Big Planet will be the Psychonauts of this generation. It would sell great on a Nintendo platform, but be overlooked by most on the PS3 platform. Critics will love it, but Mr Halo/Madden will ignore it.

Wait Little Big Planet is coming out on Wii?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
No, LBP would be a hit IF it was on the Wii. On the PS3, it will be marginal.

(Substitute Viva Pinata and 360 and you get the same result)  

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Well considering Sony has done all they can to try and kill 2d gaming over the last ten years of course Little Big Planet will bomb bigtime.  Sony has made it that their consoles are all about 3d with 2d games as silenced as possible and so all of their fans who started gaming with the Playstation have only known 3d and dont care about 2d and probobly never will.  So now Sony thinks that the people they grew to hate 2d are going to spend over $600, on a 2d game?  Yeah, good luck with that Sony.

Little Big Planet will be lucky if it even find a way to hit 100,000 WORLDWIDE.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
Loco Roco, anyone?

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
And Loco Roco bombed horrible as well, my point exactly on why LBP is going to be a huge failure for Sony.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
Yeah, that's what I was implying

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
The makers of God of War, who are making God of War 3 for the PS3, say that the game will include rumble. I don't have a link because I saw it reported on G4.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
I believe the Rumble SIXAXIS controller will start being bundled with the system when they move PS3 production to 65nm wafers for the chips.