Author Topic: Nintendo Offers Wrist-Strap Replacement  (Read 7126 times)

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo Offers Wrist-Strap Replacement
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2006, 09:32:02 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric

Originally posted by: Caliban
I don't even use my 2 original wrist-strap, I toook them off, but I still requested 2 new wrist-straps because they will be for anyone else other than me, I trust myself well enough not to throw the controller at my HDTV.

Famous last words.

hahahahahahahaha...that just cracked me up, I like to live on the edge...not really, but I really hate anything that goes around my wrists, fingers, or neck, I wear no jewellery or watch because it gives me the impression that I'm chained.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2006, 03:43:56 PM »
Note: This post is meant for anyone who is actually concerned about this, for anyone else don't bother reading my long post (sorry)

I havent had the chance to post here in a long time but I feel I should post about this topic.

Some of you might recall that I got a job at the Nintendo World Store in NYC so I have first hand accounts of how wild people (no, not just children) get when playing Wii. Most of my work shifts are spend handling the three WiiSports stations on the main floor (hell all of my shifts really, but I'm not complaining).

Everyday there is a handfull of people, young and old alike, that smash our wiimotes against a wall behind them or next to them, against the plexiglass casing surrounding the demo wii system, or even one of our staff. The plexiglass cases have some nasty scuffs on them, and the wiimotes have their share of battlescars as well.. and only ONCE in my month of employment has a wiimote ever slipped from someones hand.

It was a young boy of about 6 years of age and while my back was turned he had taken the wrist strap off so he could take his coat off for more manueverability. He swung wildly and dropped the remote; sending it sliding a few feet across the floor behind him with the batteries flying out of the thing. He apologized and I thought I was going to get fired on the spot (I was still new) but the remote worked fine and he continued his game. Noticed that it slipped from his hand when NOT wearing the wriststrap, thats the only reason the incident was so bad.

The only other times it falls out of peoples hands are when they forget they are attached and they hand the controllers back to us. They turn to walk away and the controlls are yanked out of our hands but never come near hitting the floor because its still strapped to their wrist.

You'd have to purposely throw the remote with much force (while strapped on) to put so mush strain on it that it would just snap off. Sure people get sweaty hands while gripping it, trust me I know and not just because my hands sweat alot while gripping anything for extended periods. I have to handle a wiimote thats held by people of all ages, and body types; some sweat more than others. Sometimes it's really gross grabbing one after someone finished a game and I have to wipe it down on my shirt so it doesnt feel gross for the next person. Still, with all those people with sweaty hands not once has the wiimote accidentally been flung from their grip.

This whole recall is most likely just Nintendo giving in to pressure of what such bad publicity will do to its hot selling system. Was it something fabricated by their competitors? Maybe.. Who am I to say for sure? But I do deal with Wii's every day, its my job, and I deal with alot of people from all over the world who come to NYC to try it out. I'd say my opinion should count for something.

Today alone I had over a dozen people ask me personally about the wrist strap and if it is really faulty. I've told them everything I've told you guys here. To be honest I didn't know about the recall until a customer brought it to my attention today. Alot of people are concerned that they bought a deffective product because of this report. Thats what happens when you're put in a bad light by the media. Thats why Nintendo is caving in and replacing the straps. The systems are THE holiday gift item this year and people are camping out in NYC as we speak to get some at my store. If they didn't do something about this there would be many potential buyers that would be put off because they don't want to buy a "broken" gift for their families.

Theres nothing to worry about.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo Offers Wrist-Strap Replacement
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2006, 04:01:46 PM »
So... can you get me cool free stuff?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2006, 03:17:59 PM »
i could of gotten you cooler free* stuff at my other job (still can really, get a discount for two more weeks)

*new job discount isnt too great, old job discount was 40% so its almost free lol
i cant even count how much nintendo stuff i have now...
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2006, 03:44:56 PM »
You know I'm sort of surprised that they don't just put the gloves on in the store.  Actually to me a bigger problem is that the colored straps that come with the official controller gloves don't have the piece of plastic to secure it to your wrist.

Also me and my friend Jim got into a big argument over this.  He's much older then me and his take was that even if the Wiimote went hurdling towards a TV that it would break the Wiimote first.  Especially a CRT.  I'll admit that CRT's are hardy but I mentioned the fact that many people are moving away from the technology and that those were the screens that were taking damage.  Still didn't "win".
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2006, 03:53:46 PM »

Originally posted by: EasyCure
i cant even count how much nintendo stuff i have now...

You say that like it's a bad thing...

Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2006, 01:29:53 AM »
it is this time of year. i have an NES messenger bag, assorted zelda pins/lapels, zelda beanie, zelda wallet, and a few nintendo tshirts all on layaway at my old job that i have to pick up pretty soon (as well as other non-nintendo related stuff but who wants to hear about that) and i dont have enough money to get those as well as OTHER peoples gifts.

thats not mentioning the stuff i wanna get at the NWS (including a limited edition tshirt that goes for $60)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2006, 03:53:57 AM »
Whats on the shirt?  An elusive picture of Miyamoto's daughters or something?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2006, 04:04:23 AM »
no actually. they are for different shirts:

My favorite one is the zelda shirt that has "Life" and two lines of hearts underneath it.
it also has the game intro printed on the back exactly how it appeared in the game; with "gannon" and "link" in green (and in quotes). I believe it also says "King of Games" right under the collar.

The second is a white zelda shirt with a green triforce crest.

Another is a picture of the gameboy; showing all of its sides and pointing out all of its features with the words "ultimate handheld" towards the bottom.

i forget the last one

i'll try to snag a picture of them for you guys tho