Author Topic: Episode 332: Cartooning  (Read 9307 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: Episode 332: Cartooning
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 11:39:26 PM »
Thanks all the Must Wanted tips! I'm looking forward to playing more of it, armed with all this new knowledge.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 09:00:42 PM »

How can you not blame Iwata for the company's missteps?  He runs the company.  At the end of the day he's responsible, good or ill.  Nintendo doesn't get along with third parties? Talk to Iwata. Game draught? Iwata.  Overpriced hardware? Iwata.  He's at the top of the totem pole.  You don't think Square Enix isn't blaming Yoichi Wada for their crappy performance?  They are, that's why he's out.  Iwata is a CEO, he's no different.  He's an executive that can be removed if his performance isn't up to snuff (just like Reggie, for that matter).

Also, Don't confuse the sales success of Wii U with the console being a success for YOU.  I'm not saying Nintendo fans won't love Wii U and enjoy the heck out of it; of course they will.  But when we're talking sales, Western developers are driving sales on PS and Xbox, and that's a big chunk of the North American sales pie that Nintendo is inexplicably opting out of, whatever the reason.  I don't understand that at all.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2013, 12:57:33 AM »
I have to agree with Lindy.   Whether or not you could lay all the blame at Iwata's feet, he will ultimately be the person held responsible for Nintendo's success or failure.  I remember all the discussions about him cutting his own salary by 50% in 2011 due to the failures of the 3DS in that year; he certainly seems to acknowledge that others will hold him accountable.  (Yet the 3DS seems to be doing pretty well now.) If the Wii U does not pick up within the next year, I wonder if he will attempt to make a similar gesture.

That being said, I would hate to see Iwata leave simply because I can't help but like him.  Whether or not he has made a number of mistakes, in my mind he's certainly changed the public face of Nintendo to something that's more personable.  You guys in the game enthusiast press may have different feelings about the way things have gone in the last few years, but as a Nintendo-enthusiast end user, I like the Iwata asks articles and Japanese Nintendo directs.

"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Glad0s

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Reagan's Music Reviews
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2013, 10:58:06 AM »

How can you not blame Iwata for the company's missteps?  He runs the company.  At the end of the day he's responsible, good or ill.  Nintendo doesn't get along with third parties? Talk to Iwata. Game draught? Iwata.  Overpriced hardware? Iwata.  He's at the top of the totem pole.  You don't think Square Enix isn't blaming Yoichi Wada for their crappy performance?  They are, that's why he's out.  Iwata is a CEO, he's no different.  He's an executive that can be removed if his performance isn't up to snuff (just like Reggie, for that matter).

Also, Don't confuse the sales success of Wii U with the console being a success for YOU.  I'm not saying Nintendo fans won't love Wii U and enjoy the heck out of it; of course they will.  But when we're talking sales, Western developers are driving sales on PS and Xbox, and that's a big chunk of the North American sales pie that Nintendo is inexplicably opting out of, whatever the reason.  I don't understand that at all.

Preach it, brother. My thoughts exactly.
"Isn't Karl like Mexican or something"