Author Topic: Square Enix Party - good time to reveal the Rev?  (Read 14244 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Square Enix Party - good time to reveal the Rev?
« on: June 01, 2005, 02:33:17 PM »
Gamespot's reporting that in July Square Enix is going to have their own "Spaceworld" type show called the Square Enix Party.  They plan on showing off Final Fantasy XII there.  I'm thinking that maybe that would be a good event for Nintendo to reveal the Rev in more detail.  So far the only third party game announced for the Rev is made by Square Enix so logically it would make sense to reveal that game and the Rev at the show.  Plus this show will attract attention from more than just Nintendo fans.  There are a lot of PS2 games planned to be shown so Sony fans will be paying attention.  It would give Nintendo a chance to sneak into what is largely a Sony show.

And even if they don't want to show the Rev controller at that point they can at least show footage of FF: CC for the Rev and thus respond to the speculation regarding the Rev's hardware capabilities compared to the competition.  And since they've seen the PS3 and Xbox 360 footage they can make sure that the Rev footage blows the competition away.  Nintendo did not have this flexibility at E3 since they would have had to guess how good the competition's footage would be.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: Square Enix Party - good time to reveal the Rev?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 02:41:45 PM »
Yeah, I'd want a real Spaceworld for the big unveiling, but I think this would be a great time to show some FFCC footage, which would in turn be a great time to give away a few details of the Rev's online functionality.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
RE:Square Enix Party - good time to reveal the Rev?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 02:45:47 PM »
Ian, as big a fan and as many complaints as we do about Nintendo, do you really think with everything else going in favor of the competition that we're going to get a preview of FF:CC?  Don't get your hopes up on this one.

NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline notic

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 02:47:14 PM »
that would be nice

i hope se and N become girlfriends again
Check one two~Who got more style than son do

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 02:50:14 PM »
"you really think with everything else going in favor of the competition that we're going to get a preview of FF:CC? Don't get your hopes up on this one."

I'm not predicting it WILL happen I'm just saying that for Nintendo it would be a good idea.  They can leave the big unveiling for a Spaceworld show like KnowsNothing said but having some teaser footage beforehand could help build up some hype.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 02:57:51 PM »
Ian:

You know I wouldn't reveal the entire Revolution, but I would reveal the Final Fantasy Cystal Chronicles and anything else SquareEnix might be releasing for the Revolution/DS.

Really, I think Nintendo's best bet would be to trickle little bits of information throughout this year until a huge revealing either at a Space World, or even E3.  

Nintendo could release allow Square to release a video of FF:CC Revolution at this event.  Then another event Nintendo could release a few images and videos.  Then as it gets closer to the Xbox 360 launch reveal hard SPECS of the system, and more games.

E3 2006 you could have a the entire E3 booth dedicated to playable Revolution games where the controller is finally revealled and all details about the entire system.  

But, to have a huge show that reveals everything this early would take away the entire mystery hype Nintendo has going for it.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 03:44:11 PM »
Yeah, I don't mind seeing some video on Square's Rev titles, but I don't want to see any specs on the system announced right now. Even if the specs are good, I think the mystery is one of the best things they've got going for them.  

Offline cubist

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 04:23:28 PM »
"Even if the specs are good, I think the mystery is one of the best things they've got going for them."

I never thought of mystery as a form of hype.  If anything the mystery and secrecy for Nintendo hasn't actually been a strength.  Dating back to the announcement of a Dream Team for the Nintendo 64, a lot of third parties went to check out Nintendo's Spaceworld where there was a demo of Starfox, Super Mario 64, and that forgotten Star Wars title with the Han Solo "wannabe" AND were turned off with the final product.  Squaresoft (now Square Enix) and Shiny's David Perry didn't take too well to the cartridge format, which led to Nintendo's demise in the home console wars.  The Nintendo 64 was outselling the Playstation until Final Fantasy VII came along.  I think Nintendo for the first time needs to stop this mysterious stuff and reveal specs and start dishing out some dev kits to developers so they can get some feedback to what they're doing wrong with the system; otherwise, this window of opportunity will never present itself again.

Mystery is also a form of weakness.  The weakness that they do not have the resources to compete with MS and Sony on a higher level.  Weakness will also cause you to say things like "we're headed in a completely different direction."

I'm a big Nintendo fan, but they need to start tending to the needs of the fans that have stuck with them first and then go out and recruit the non-gamer.  

Getting back to the topic, the Square Enix Party will be dominated by Sony through the next generation when they announce a PS4 that's going to cost gamers $800 and will compete its own VAIO, much like the PS2 competed with its own DVD players.

Offline Pittbboi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 06:50:44 PM »
I agree. Mystery in other circumstances can be a good thing. It's a great hype builder. However, the main problem with Nintendo is it rarely delivers on the hype it generates. So, if it keeps this mystery going, it's going to continue to build incredible amounts of hype, so they had better deliver. If they don't, they'll have shot themselves in the foot and gotten the Revolution written off as a gimmick by the general public.

So, I believe the safe bet for Nintendo is to release small bits at a time, and the SE event is the perfect place to continue. They should show some footage.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 06:56:58 PM »
Sorry cubist, HDTV and slightly better graphics don't count as a "higher level" for me. Maybe I'm just jaded. I'm happy Nintendo's supposedly going in a different direction because quite frankly speaking I think the current direction sucks.

As for Square, the link shows a full list of games that doesn't include FF:CC.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline HereticPB

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 09:01:06 PM »
Is July the end of the year? Like Nintendo said we will reveal more information at the end of the year. Probably around X360 launch.
Visit my sites
| Nintendo Centrum | NC Forums |

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 09:50:02 PM »

The full list of games scheduled to be at the festival is as follows:

Final Fantasy XII (PlayStation 2)
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts II (PS2)
Code Age Masters (PS2)
Fullmetal Alchemist 3: Kami o Tsugu Shoujo (PS2)
Grandia III (PS2)
Heavy Metal Thunder (PS2)
Musashi Samurai Legend (PS2)
Slime Morimori: Dragon Quest 2 (Game Boy Advance)
Final Fantasy XI (PC, PS2)
Front Mission Online (PS2)
EverQuest II (PC)

I'm not gonna get my hopes up.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 10:22:54 PM »
I thought that Dragon Quest game was a DS game.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 01:20:26 AM »
What ever happened to Final Fantasy 3 DS?

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 01:44:26 AM »
Additionally, where are those groady mobile phone games?
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2005, 02:23:38 AM »
I don't think Nintendo would reveal more than what we already know about the Revolution at a Square-Enix event. It will either be done at a Nintendo Spaceworld, or a special Nintendo Revolution press conference.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2005, 03:02:54 AM »
They owe us fans for that E3 conference, they actually really hyped it up I stayed up til 4am watching the stream and we didn't see much, so they should give us an exact time a week in advance and a video stream or something of their Revolution conference, when it happens. (they won't, but I can dream)

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2005, 06:54:21 AM »
man, i was hoping Square-Enix would at least announce that Crystal Chronicles for DS and REV can go online together

*drrool*
I'll shut up now...

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2005, 07:23:46 AM »
"Is July the end of the year? Like Nintendo said we will reveal more information at the end of the year. Probably around X360 launch."

I think they said BY the end of the year they'll have revealed everything.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2005, 07:49:48 AM »
What i want to know is...why the hell is Everquest II on the list of games to be shown?  Not only is it not a Squeenix game, but its a direct competitor of FF XI.  Color me confused.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2005, 08:43:26 AM »
Perhaps SE decides to publish it in Japan. Look at NCSoft, they've got like 5 different MMORPGs, all of which compete with each other.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2005, 09:38:33 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"Is July the end of the year? Like Nintendo said we will reveal more information at the end of the year. Probably around X360 launch."

I think they said BY the end of the year they'll have revealed everything.

Woah!  I'm pretty sure Nintendo never said "everything".  I'll be very surprised if they reveal the revolutionary aspect of the system this year, but I think they might give us specs and show some footage.

I think it would be a good idea to reveal some Crystal Chronicles footage at Square Enix's event too, I doubt it will happen, but it's a good idea.

That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2005, 09:45:04 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Perhaps SE decides to publish it in Japan. Look at NCSoft, they've got like 5 different MMORPGs, all of which compete with each other.

You are correct it seems...

http://sonyonline.com/corp/press_releases/051104_square_sony.html

Very strange seeing as it isn't like Sony doesn't have a foothold in Japan.  =P

Maybe they just think having Square Enix's name attached to an RPG will mean instant success.  That seems to make perfect sense until you realize the brand recognition the Everquest name has by itself.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Mr. Segali

• PAY YOUR RENT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2005, 11:18:24 AM »
Yeah, like how Capcom published some of the Warcraft games in Japan. It's funny seeing the Japanese companies connected to American titles... but hey, it's their turn to sit through 10 minutes of foreign names when they hit the game's end credits  
Imported Super Princess Peach

Offline cubist

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2005, 11:22:26 AM »
Just looking back at the topic of discussion here, I'm not even sure I want footage of a sequel when the original totally just didn't deliver.  The brand name was the only selling point (and maybe the opening song), but I was extremely disappointed with Nintendo's (or Yamauchi's) investment in Game Designer [pseudo] Studios didn't deliver.