Author Topic: Episode 8: SAMURAI PIZZA THIEF  (Read 5348 times)

Offline Daan

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Episode 8: SAMURAI PIZZA THIEF
« on: January 25, 2012, 01:35:53 PM »

STOP THIEF! That guy's stylishly roller-skating away with an expensive cheese and tomato pizza!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/famicast/29072

Newly appointed Famicrew regular Daan Koopman join JC and Danny again as they talk all things Japan!

It's a very rhythmic episode this week, which starts off with some serious talk about Japanese gaming journalism, before Daan movies onto his latest import, Kiki Trick on Wii, a game that might be worth learning Japanese and finding a Japanese friend to play with! Danny then talks about his latest non-eShop purchase, Rhythm Thief R. Is it an accurate portrayal of Parisian life or a crazy anime / Ouendan inspired game that everyone should play? Give it a listen and find out! JC then finds a few things to bitch about with his Annual Gift Man present, Mario Kart 7. Not to knock the big guy with his choice, he just wishes the game was a little more... complete.

Final Fantasy Theatrhythm DLC crops up in news, which gives Daan and Danny the chance to talk about how much they love rhythm games. Let's just say Square-Enix's pockets will be pretty full in the next few months thanks to those guys!

The show wraps up with some forum questions being answered, topics include the PS Vita reaction, differences in gibberish and over-priced Japanese pizza! Stop by the Japan thread if you want to ask some questions of your own, or e-mail famicast@nintendoworldreport.com

So strap yourself in, grab your copy of Nintendo Dream - it's Famicast a go-go baby!

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 8: SAMURAI PIZZA THIEF
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 05:28:47 PM »
Best news all day!  Then again, I was sick and/or unconscious for most of the day... so maybe that's not saying much?  Really look forward to hearing the new episode.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 05:56:07 PM »
I was misled.
There was no Samurai Pizza Cats.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 12:43:50 AM »
Radio Trivia: Famicast Edition!

Listen to the episode first then check back here to see how many you guessed right!

1 - Skyward Sword
2 - Picross 3D
3 - Rhythm Thief  the Emperors Treasure
4 - Super Mario Kart SNES - Rainbow Road
5 - Bomberman (NES)
6 - Samurai Pizza Cats
7 - Elite Beat Agents - Jumpin Jack Flash
8 - A Link to the Past Japanese Commercial

Good luck and enjoy the episode!
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline famicomplicated

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 12:45:01 AM »
I was misled.
Famicast trivia fail! Listen carefully, just before the letters section....
I never break promises.
I am your (Fami)father.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 09:14:02 AM »
I was misled.
Famicast trivia fail! Listen carefully, just before the letters section....
I never break promises.
You were right and I was wrong.
That song doesn't really translate to well into 8-Bit.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 03:35:50 PM »
Enjoyed the pizza discussion far more than I should admit. Thanks for bringing up useless but interesting stuff like that.

Also, thanks for answering my question. Now my wife owes me "favors". Who knew that gibberish could pay off so handsomely.
NNID: ejamer

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 11:57:40 PM »
Alright, monthly podcasts ahead!

Anyhow, thanks for answering my questions, guys. It was, as always, educational and entertaining. I have to say I am surprised that Sony apparently rushed the system out before any big software was ready for it. Then again, Nintendo arguably did the same, so...

I'm also pleased to have idenitifed five of the eight songs. I'm a little horrified that I instantly recognized the last one though... Thank you Youtube?

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 12:03:37 AM »
Nintendo Dream is great for interviews and bonuses... I wish we had something like that here.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline famicomplicated

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 07:23:27 AM »
Hehe, who knew pizza-talk would turn out to be so entertaining for everyone?
Turns out Domino's Japan have stopped doing the quiz, I checked today.
Maybe too many people *cough* abusing the system...

Do American mags not have that many free gifts?
I remember getting some cool stuff from NMS (UK mag) back in the day e.g game holders, videos, stickers, CD's etc.
I am your (Fami)father.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 09:10:02 AM »
Hehe, who knew pizza-talk would turn out to be so entertaining for everyone?
Turns out Domino's Japan have stopped doing the quiz, I checked today.
Maybe too many people *cough* abusing the system...

Do American mags not have that many free gifts?
I remember getting some cool stuff from NMS (UK mag) back in the day e.g game holders, videos, stickers, CD's etc.
Not really.  You get a demo CD or video every once in a while.  Though the whole Free Gift thing has gone down since the Internet became popular.  Its hard to find a Free Toy in Cereal anymore.  Now its multiple UPCs and Shipping.  Where's my annual Frosted Flake Plastic Sardine thing?

Offline famicomplicated

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 03:42:56 AM »
I thought Japanese cereals would have amazing toys before I got here, then discovered they got jack-sh*t.
Now we're on the subject, you can add cereals to the "holy-crap-they-cost-how-much" list, a tiny 200g box of Frosties is 500yen, ($6.50) an imported box of European muesli can go for 900yen! ($12)
I am your (Fami)father.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 09:03:36 AM »
Ironically after the Pizza discussion Samuria Pizza Cats makes a lot more sense.

Be nice on another one to do another food discussion that discusses the different prices on things but more what an average Japanese diet for you have become.  There has to be some things that where the other way around dirt cheap in Japan.

Also be great to talk about Ramen Stands. >.> <.<

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 11:06:26 AM »
Another great episode. I just love the Famicast. Thanks.

Re: "secret-knock"; I suppose that is an American term in origin but I am surprised it has not apparently gained more general use elsewhere. It derives from the prohibition era in America when those "in the know" could only get into back-alley speak-easys (illegal gin-joints) if they knew the "secret knock". If you knocked on the unmarked door of the speak-easy in a certain code or pattern, they would let you in. The more you know!

Glad you are committing to monthly episodes. For February, I want to hear about what, if anything, Japan does with Valentines Day. The Christmas discussion yielded the startling and hilarious news about the KFC connection in Japan. I now want to know what other weird derivations occur during other "western" holidays.

Thanks guys.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 06:34:50 PM »
"Secret knocks" have also been used in countless TV shows and movies, so I am surprised that some people don't now what they are.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 06:42:04 PM »
"What's the secret grunt?"
*ergh* *ergh* *ugh*
"Too much estrogen. Access denied."
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 09:31:04 PM »
That's season 1 Home Improvement.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline famicomplicated

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 04:00:09 AM »
Another great episode. I just love the Famicast. Thanks.

Re: "secret-knock"; I suppose that is an American term in origin but I am surprised it has not apparently gained more general use elsewhere. It derives from the prohibition era in America when those "in the know" could only get into back-alley speak-easys (illegal gin-joints) if they knew the "secret knock". If you knocked on the unmarked door of the speak-easy in a certain code or pattern, they would let you in. The more you know!

Glad you are committing to monthly episodes. For February, I want to hear about what, if anything, Japan does with Valentines Day. The Christmas discussion yielded the startling and hilarious news about the KFC connection in Japan. I now want to know what other weird derivations occur during other "western" holidays.

Thanks guys.
I had a bit of a face-palm moment with that one, after the episode went to air...
The wording in the original question threw me I guess, but of course I know what a secret knock is. DUH!
/facepalming

A Valentine's Day discussion is a good idea, I'll definitely try and squeeze it on the agenda for the February episode!

Thanks for the nice comments and support!
I am your (Fami)father.

Offline Glad0s

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Reagan's Music Reviews
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 01:06:59 PM »
I'm shocked at how bad of a Mick Jagger impersonator that guy was. But it was still awesome to play.
"Isn't Karl like Mexican or something"