Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 140554 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #125 on: July 02, 2012, 12:49:13 AM »
Can't seem to connect to theDen. Can you look at getting me on the whitelist?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 02, 2012, 01:28:02 AM »
i think theden is down again, thats the problem with having a preferred server, if its down everyone is screwed
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 02, 2012, 04:51:40 PM »
That damn Leap Second! :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 21, 2012, 12:30:42 AM »
Hey, anyone want to play some Survival with me? I want to start a new game and I've never played with some else before.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 22, 2012, 10:26:18 PM »
I'm open to it. Since the servers Perm and I use seem to be down I'm in the market for a new one. Was looking to possibly start a server as I have a spare computer I could set up for the task but that takes time and space I don't have at the moment.
My Game Collection

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 22, 2012, 10:44:53 PM »
I've never started up a server and honestly, I haven't played enough to know everything like the back of my hand. If you play with me, know that I am a Minecraft n00b.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 22, 2012, 11:06:37 PM »
No problem. I'll play with anybody. Would be fun to try and build a city in survival mode.

Though we do need a server. I was reading up how to host one but I haven't gotten it set up yet.
My Game Collection

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 22, 2012, 11:15:03 PM »
I'd also want to "beat" the game. You know, kill the Ender Dragon. Know how to do that?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 22, 2012, 11:22:19 PM »
Nope. Killed a couple of endermen but back when I played heavily there was no 'end game'. And I mostly played creative. It will be a first for me too.
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 22, 2012, 11:25:22 PM »
I was looking into renting a server.  If you get one ready and equipped with mods from JestServers it's about $260 quarterly.  If we had enough people willing to kick in, we could do that.  Otherwise, if we only had like 5 or so people interested we could find a cheaper option.  My brother used Minecraft Box for awhile and it worked pretty well.

It looks like for Minecraft Box, we could rent a server with 256 MB of RAM which works for 3-5 players for $7/month.  Any interest in something like that?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 11:35:48 PM by NWR_DrewMG »
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 22, 2012, 11:55:05 PM »
While tempting I don't have spare cash to chip in on a server. I'll see these next two days if I can get a legit server running.
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 22, 2012, 11:59:41 PM »
Well, good luck.  Usually have you to pay your ISP extra to get a static IP, and that's something you'd definitely need to host any kind of dedicated server.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2012, 12:01:41 AM »
Wait, you have to pay just to play with friends? What kind of bullshit is that?

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2012, 12:03:44 AM »
Minecraft doesn't have any sort of built-in hosting capabilities, so anyone wanting to play multiplayer has to provide their own server.  There's no cost for the software, but setting up a server for anything, Minecraft, email, etc, has some associated costs.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2012, 12:38:10 AM »
Then I guess I won't be playing you with you, Stratos.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2012, 12:38:44 AM »
I was under the impression that one could just configure your network with the static ip yourself?

All the stuff I've read says nothing about arranging anything with your ISP. I just have to open a port on my router and configure my network so that the computer acting as host gets a static ip from the router.

I was hoping to use Hamachi as that is easier but they cost money too it turns out.
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2012, 12:44:24 AM »
Maybe I'm mistaken, but the IP address your computer has is not the IP address you would give out to someone to play with you over the net.  You probably have something like 192.168.1.2 on your computer, but millions of other computers on the internet have that same address.  All of the computers connected to your router will be translated to a single unique IP 0address that you get from your ISP, and that address will change every time your router loses connection and re-establishes connection. 

Really though, if you're planning on getting together with someone and playing at the same time as them, you can just give them your public IP address every single time you want them to hop on the server.  If it changes, though, they won't be able to play without knowing what it's changed to.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2012, 12:47:47 AM »
Oblivion, if Stratos can get his server stuff figured out, then it'd be no effort on your end.  When I said that "everyone" who wants to play Minecraft multiplayer needs to get a server, what I really mean is that anyone who wants to HOST Minecraft multiplayer needs to get a server.  If you just want to play with someone else, you need to get their server information, but SOMEONE involved still needs to have a server.  In the case of games like Mario Kart or Halo, the big corporations host servers for us to use, but most PC games have traditionally not operated on that model.

That's why I was inclined to just rent a server.  At $7-$14 per month, if we had 4-5 people interested it'd be a pretty nominal cost.  Then we don't have to worry about finding and setting up a server.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2012, 12:50:52 AM »
Also, with the next update (1.3) everything is changing with regards to multiplayer, so this might all get a lot easier.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2012, 12:54:20 AM »
Do you know what exactly they are changing with the multiplayer?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2012, 12:56:09 AM »
I didn't think about the IP changing from losing my connection. May put a damper on things. 'Course, with only a few of us on here playing, I could just post my IP each time it changes. Since we'd mostly be playing together I'd just check it and update y'all with the new IP.

I'm looking to get a cheaper price on internet here in the next month by switching providers or threatening Comcast into a cheaper price point so I'll look into ways of getting a static IP in the deal.
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2012, 12:56:27 AM »
All that I've read says that they're "merging" the single player and multiplayer which I suppose means that you'll create your own worlds and be able to invite people into them.  Hopefully by username.  That would make all of this a lot easier.

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2012, 02:05:09 AM »
I think you can rent a server a bit cheaper than 7-14 dollars a month. I think https://www.lethaldrive.com/ does it for about 5 dollars a month for a 4-5 person server.   I haven't used them or anything.  I hear good things about them from the minecraft community.   

I got to admit I thought once or twice myself about renting one but really didn't have anyone to play with except maybe one friend who hardly ever plays.

The new multiplayer changes are coming in the beginning of august to merge single player and multiplayer.  Sadly I'm pretty sure it's still using IP address and manual input to join.  I don't think they are anywhere near using login names and friends list yet. 

Offline Kwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2012, 09:52:13 AM »
Well .. I kinda thought I would be a good citizen and try to contribute to the community.. I paid and rented a server for 6 months.  A five person or so server.

Having a bit of problems with it right now, it's not exactly starting.    I gave it some time and put in a ticket with their support.   If I can get things cleared up and such.  Hopefully I might be able to contribute a small server for everyone to play on.    Although I will admit if I am over stepping my boundries and such with you guys, I apologize. :)

Offline Kwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2012, 10:28:51 AM »
Whoa they responded to my ticket and fixed the problem fast.    Okay well.. Umm..  I'm not very great at this kinda stuff.   But anyway.   I rented a server and got running.    I paid for 6 months though..   So should be running for at least that long.

The ip/port is   50.31.24.15:25594

It is survival mode.

It should be able to handle up to 5 people or so at a time.    :)

On a serious note though.   If everyone wants to play and use it.   Does everyone want a white list?
Basically a white list lets only certain people connect to the server.  Would help prevent griefing.   Right now anyone could log in and do whatever.   Will let you guys decide that.  :)

(edit.   Totally forgot how awesome and hard survival was..   Dug a small cave near spawn.   Was able to mine a few tree's and junk in the daylight.    Enough to make a door and basic crafting table/chest.  Anything in the room/chest is for anyone.  Thought I would make a small safe house type bunker for when you just start.   Mainly cause I was scared when I logged on to test server and it was about to become night.  :)  )

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 11:27:51 AM by Kwolf »