Author Topic: REVIEWS: Bleach GC: Tasogare ni Mamieru Shinigami  (Read 4483 times)

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
REVIEWS: Bleach GC: Tasogare ni Mamieru Shinigami
« on: January 19, 2006, 05:40:16 PM »
I like big swords to chop you with.

For the uninitiated, Bleach is one of the latest manga / anime series in Japan, and it has gained quite a bit of popularity with importers as well. The story follows a teenage boy named Ichigo Kurosaki who is able to see ghosts. He meets a Shinigami (death god) who lends him her power so that he can protect his family from monsters called hollows. If you didn't follow that, don't worry because it hardly plays into the game at all. You see, Bleach GC is a weapons fighter, and that means the only story you need is the one about how you kept combo-ing a guy, knocked him down, and jabbed a sword into his crotch before he even got to hit you.

The controls in Bleach take a little getting used to (especially if you've been playing the Naruto games lately). B is block. A and X are used to attack, and pushing specific directions on the control stick while attacking performs a wide variety of basic moves. Side-stepping is a bit of a problem (especially since it's so effortless for the CPU). In order to side-step an opponent's attack, you have to lightly press up or down on the control stick. Press too hard and you'll find yourself jumping or ducking instead, and such unreliability will probably keep you from using this basic maneuver much at all.

Beyond the basics, you also have a number of moves that rely on your spirit meter (I just made that name up, but it's a sure bet), and different moves require differing amounts of energy. Your meter fills automatically as you fight, or you can charge it whenever you like by holding L and R. You can dash by holding R and using the control stick. Special moves can be done with R + A or R + X, and R + Y allows you to perform your character's gigantic stop-the-battle-and-watch-an-FMV super attack. Y sends out a field that can put your opponent in slow-mo, but if both of you press Y simultaneously, a "tug of war" meter will pop up, cueing both of you to tap A frantically. Depending on how far you get the meter over on your opponent's side, you'll either slow him down or instantly perform your super move.

Putting all of this together can take a bit of strategy, since charging your spirit meter leaves you defenseless and super attacks have obvious cues that make them easy to dodge. So to show off your flashy super attack movie, you might need to get some extra charge on your meter and slow him down first. Some attacks can also knock your opponent flat on his back, giving you time to charge your meter or just stab him through the groin while he's down. Unfortunately, combos are often in the vein of AAAAAA, which can make the game a little too friendly toward button mashers.

Bleach GC features a pretty healthy selection of characters, twenty-seven in all, including two alternates. Not all of them rely on swords: some have staffs, one uses a bow, others use their bare fists, and many of them have distinctive magical and elemental attacks in addition to their weapons. Their speeds, ranges, and physical sizes vary quite a bit, which can clearly unbalance certain match-ups (some characters' high attacks fly clear over others' heads). However, it's not so bad if you know your fighter well, and there aren't any characters that can just smoke everybody.

Unlocking all of the characters pretty much requires a visit to GameFAQs, since the last few can only be opened by repeatedly beating the single mode with a specific sequence of characters. It's a little painful, but it doesn't take nearly as long as getting all of the characters in Naruto 3. Plus, there is a password system that can be used to unlock the characters and other extras, and Sega is slowly revealing the passwords on the official website.

Like most fighters, Bleach is better as a two-player game. In single player, the default AI setting is pretty easy. Opponents often fall for the same attack patterns. and if you knock them down, they usually stay on the ground long enough for you to get an extra stab in, which an experienced human player would never let you do. In addition to the arcade-style "single" mode, there is also a lengthy story mode and a survival mode called "13 Bansyoubu" that pits you against thirteen other fighters, requiring you to beat them all without getting knocked out even once.

Bleach GC is an easy title for importers. The story mode is told entirely in Japanese, but menus and character names are displayed in English. The only trouble most players will run into is trying to decipher all of the lessons in the tutorial. If you're interested in importing, you can order from our partners at Lik-Sang.

Overall, Bleach GC is a pretty average fighter. It's enjoyable, but there are some control and balancing issues, making it a more attractive import for a fan of the show than someone just looking for a new fighting game.

Pros:
Variety of fighting styles
Good character models

Cons:
Initially awkward control scheme
Super attack FMVs can't be skipped

Graphics: 7.0

The cel-shaded character models emulate the look of the show very well. However, there isn't any facial animation when characters speak, and the backgrounds are bland and lifeless. The FMVs for super attacks also feature minimal animation, consisting mostly of still art and special effects.

Sound: 8.0

The voices sound like they came directly from the cast of the show, which is no surprise, and a random character yells "SEGA" when you power up the game. There are a couple of catchy theme songs for the opening and credits, but songs during gameplay are rather forgettable.

Control: 7.0

The controls can be a little sluggish and take a bit of adjustment, especially if you're used to holding back to block rather than pressing a button. Side-stepping requires a subtle touch that's tough to master in the heat of battle. On the flip-side, more powerful attacks are actually rather simple, and lengthy combos are a bit too easy to pull off.

Gameplay: 7.5

Despite its flaws, there's no questioning that Bleach GC is a fun fighter whether you're into the franchise or not. The characters cover a range of fighting styles, making experimentation with each of them pretty interesting.

Lastability: 7.0

As with most fighting games, you'll probably have your fill of single player by the time you've gotten all of the characters. There are a bunch of unlockable voice clips and other nonsense that you probably don't care about afterwards. Multiplayer is "where it's at," but easy combos and unskippable FMVs can make it a little annoying at times.

Final Score (Not an average): 7.0

Bleach GC: Tasogare ni Mamieru Shinigami is a fun game, but it lacks the polish and control to replace Naruto on everyone's must-have import anime fighter list.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: REVIEWS: Bleach GC: Tasogare ni Mamieru Shinigami
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 05:43:42 PM »
Oh, finally a review for this game!  I'm a fan of the anime/manga, so I'll probably pick it up once I have time over the summer...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Famicom

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 07:51:52 PM »
Thanks, I had been looking for a competent review of this game. The one other I had read wasn't helpful at all.
Oops pow suprise!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 03:43:31 AM »
I already ordered it but DHL misrouted the parcel and just decided to declare it lost...

Did it pass the SUPER TY test yet?

EDIT: BTW, why do you complain about pressing a button to block when both of the GC's most popular fighters (SSBM, SC2) do that?

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 05:38:30 AM »

BTW, why do you complain about pressing a button to block when both of the GC's most popular fighters (SSBM, SC2) do that?

It's not really a complaint. It's probably just because about the only fighter I've played for the past six months is Naruto, so it takes a bit to adjust.  I think I made that clear too.  

Also, I think it makes a difference when block is a face button like in Bleach and Soul Calibur, rather than on the shoulder like in Smash Bros.  
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
RE:REVIEWS: Bleach GC: Tasogare ni Mamieru Shinigami
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 11:05:18 AM »
Any idea when Bleach will make its US Debut?
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 12:14:07 PM »
I'm not up on what Shonen Jump USA is printing these days; is Bleach in there yet? I know the anime hasn't been localized for TV.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 04:43:13 PM »
I think the manga has been in publication for a while.  I really don't know/care when the show will be localized since I prefer subtitles anyways.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 02:26:57 AM »
Bleach isn't even licensed yet, at least the anime. I'm not sure whether they're really going to license it since it conflicts with the Christian concepts of God and Heaven (I mean, it depicts "Heaven" as a feudal society where people are grouped into rich and poor, where suffering is omnipresent and the "gods" are arrogant bastards) but then again I doubt that stopped any other animes...

Will we see a Ty review of Bleach GC anytime soon? He seems to pick up a lot of subtle nuances in fighter gameplay that noone else here would spot...

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 05:19:52 AM »
Ty and Dan both have Naruto 3 and love it for the same reasons, so I think you can trust that Dan knows his fighting games pretty well.  Not crazy well like Ty or Windy, but certainly a lot more than I know.  The only fighting game stat I have is that my buddies and I have spent well over 200 hours playing SSBM.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 08:11:15 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Bleach isn't even licensed yet, at least the anime. I'm not sure whether they're really going to license it since it conflicts with the Christian concepts of God and Heaven (I mean, it depicts "Heaven" as a feudal society where people are grouped into rich and poor, where suffering is omnipresent and the "gods" are arrogant bastards) but then again I doubt that stopped any other animes...

I'm sure it will come here, they just won't call it Heaven.  They will most likely go with something like "Another dimension" or "the spirit realm".
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 09:11:22 AM »
It's Soul Society but since it's the place where souls go after death (if they don't go to hell) it conflicts with heaven.

Offline Famicom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006, 09:49:28 AM »

Originally posted by: ViewtifulGamer
I'm not up on what Shonen Jump USA is printing these days; is Bleach in there yet? I know the anime hasn't been localized for TV.

From my understanding Bleach doesn't run in our SJ, but the individual volumes are moving steadily along in print here under the SJ $7.95 pricing. Better that way since you get them much quicker than the average manga in the SJ mag.
Oops pow suprise!

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2006, 04:16:53 PM »
Seriously, I don't think Bleach's depiction of the afterlife makes it any less likely to be picked up in the States.  It's clearly fantasy.  Nobody's proposing that Hollows are really clawing through concrete, running around, waiting to eat your soul.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 09:53:56 AM »

Will we see a Ty review of Bleach GC anytime soon? He seems to pick up a lot of subtle nuances in fighter gameplay that noone else here would spot...

I'd take Bloodworth's word for it, and you might have to since I got my hands full of other stuff right now, but if I ever get the chance to play it, I'll at least post on the forum about it if not a review.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2006, 05:57:18 AM »
Since I just found the game in my garden (where DHL placed it some time ago without telling me, fortunately the cold and rain didn't damage anything) I feel qualified to point some things out:

In order to side-step an opponent's attack, you have to lightly press up or down on the control stick. Press too hard and you'll find yourself jumping or ducking instead, and such unreliability will probably keep you from using this basic maneuver much at all.

The controls are completely digital, you dodge by double tapping up or down.

The AI has some glaring weaknesses. For one, it will lie flat on its back long enough for you to get in three (!) stabs. Well, okay, that's on easy but it's still annoying. It also severely "misjudges" some attacks. For example, to dodge Hinamori's charge up fireballs it will teleport towards you (no chance of dodging the fireballs that way...).

Some character ommissions are strange while other characters you'd never expect to be playable appear. For example, why can you play as Kaien Shiiba while Jinta, his sister (forgot her name...) and Hanatarou aren't playable (or at least I assume so because even secret characters are listed in the manual and these aren't)? The game is also pretty "tame" compared to the series, no huge fountains of blood (no blood at all!), not even bounce physics on Orihime (come on, that was very pronounced in the show!). Looks pretty funny when "Captain Casanova" slices Sado and all you see is a bit of whie here the blood would be...

Longest name EVER (outside of Fifth Element) goes to Shigekuni Yamamotogenryuusai. That guy has enough name for three!

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2006, 07:00:04 AM »

The controls are completely digital, you dodge by double tapping up or down.

BUZZ WRONG

That's not how they're explained in the instructions or the tutorial or how it works from my experience.  (I've never once double-tapped.)  You may have more sucess pulling it off by double-tapping, but it's very clear that side-stepping is done by tapping up or down while jumping or ducking requires you to hold up or down slightly longer.  

Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2006, 08:34:39 AM »
Ah, tapping works but pressing "lightly" doesn't. Tapping isn't hard to pull off, though, just "smash" and release. Pressing lightly sounds like you have to use the stick's analog functionality.