Author Topic: World of Warcraft anyone?  (Read 12611 times)

Offline Robageejammin

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
World of Warcraft anyone?
« on: November 16, 2005, 10:41:19 PM »
Hey, not sure if anyone made a thread for this yet but just wanted to know if any of you guys play WoW. If so, list your character name and your server if youd like...or just gloat about your l33t level 60 Pally that will PWN!!1! that NE Rogue who's LFG ULD while WTS [Heavy Leather]x52 for 5g at AH....or something

Server: Durotan

Alliance: Drachma, Kamek
Horde: Axelum
"Luigi is the dreamy, comical poster boy of the Smash series, and everywhere he goes his slightly awkward presence is felt."
- Sakurai

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: World of Warcraft anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 02:15:41 AM »
Nerf Shammies!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:World of Warcraft anyone?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 04:11:46 AM »
Hehe, I'm such a Blizzard fanboy! Too bad I'm a casual player and can't really raid or pvp much...

Sallow
Lvl60 Warlock
Shadowsong (PvE)

*ahem* Now for the requisite shoutouts.

OMG NUB LERN TO PLAY KEKEKE

...oh and... nerf pally bubbles!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 04:41:47 PM »
I *used* too, was registered probably for 4 months or so.

I stopped after getting no where day after day.... I'm still bitter about the cookie incident...

Cookie incident:
long story short
1) Blizzard has a holiday quest to make holiday cookies which require eggs.
2) I know from playing a tauren that said eggs can be found outside of their major city
3) I take my primary troll and *walk* to said major city from the orc major city.  This takes a lot of time.
4) I gather said eggs
5) I fly back to the main city only to find that the special quest givers are gone.

The game is engineered to waste your time... I believe a lot of people know this but have a hard time stopping and cutting their losses

Offline Robageejammin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 06:09:50 PM »

The game is engineered to waste your time... I believe a lot of people know this but have a hard time stopping and cutting their losses

In that case you can probably say that about any game ever. Having fun doesnt make it a waste of time

But yea, bad luck with that holiday quest fiasco. Very strange.
"Luigi is the dreamy, comical poster boy of the Smash series, and everywhere he goes his slightly awkward presence is felt."
- Sakurai

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 02:47:35 AM »
Robagee: No, MMOs are a special case. They aren't designed to be as fun as possible (because then you'd blow through them way too quick), they are designed to provide just enough fun and rewards to keep you playing while stretching the content as thin as possible. I mean, MMOs don't have more content than your average singleplayer game but they take months of playing to get somewhere as opposed to the hours the singleplayer game takes. I think the reward scheme in MMOs is fashioned after Pavlov's observations on how much reward is necessary to create a behaviour pattern. WoW seems to stretch less than other games but it still isn't completely beyond that problem.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 05:18:01 AM »
But where do you draw the line? Regular RPGs also involve a lot of levelling just to keep up with the progression of difficulty. MMORPGs are certainly the largest example of elongated game scales, but they aren't the only games that do this.

Besides, MMORPGs also need to inherently build a community. Players need to be in the game in the long term so that they can actually start to form social connections with each other. A wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am game experience where players join and leave the community would be absolutely horrific for an MMORPG, it would be a complete waste of the massively online capability, and would be more akin to player-matching than to persistantly-online social communities.

And of course, if all WoW was was another MMORPG, I probably wouldn't be playing it. I've wanted to play an MMORPG since I read abouyt Sierra's The Realm in 1997, but I just haven't...because there was something missing. And WoW has that something: Blizzards amazing job with art design and lore. In a way, that makes me a real Blizzard fanboy. Part of the reason I'm playing WoW 3-7 hours every week is because I enjoy Blizzards actual work in those areas.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 08:27:30 AM »
An RPG should never require more levelling than happens during normal play (i.e. you go into a dungeon, you come out on the other end, you have enough experience, at least if you didn't run from every fight). RPGs are mostly played for their story, not for their combat (and traditional RPGs don't involve a lot of combat unless you want to play Hack&Slay) but since the lack of a GM reduces interactivity computer RPGs tend to require a bit more combat and less non-combat. Japanese "RPG"s are not really RPGs because you don't play a role, you play the combat sequences and watch the cutscenes.

Sure, the players need to stay in an MMO to create a social world but unfortunately they're doing it by the wrong means. An RPG should NEVER be a race to the finish "look ma I got level 60", then it's not a ROLE PLAYING game. But the userbase for MMOs seems to consist of a lot of people who think you have to "finish" the game by reaching the max level, getting all the "phat loot" and the other players are only people you have to compete with for that loot.

Of course a race to the finish-style game will be hard to keep fun all the time. That's why games like that tend to last maybe twenty hours offline. And the severe difference between a high level and a low level character makes for a lot of rushing in these games. What about a game where you have maybe nine levels to get that give you new tactics and abilities but don't make you some invincible killing machine? I think most cyberpunk (or generally futuristic) RPGs are pretty close to that idea, a bullet to the head will kill even a veteran.

Games like Guild Wars tend to do pretty well despite a very short levelling process by introducing much more player interaction (grouping in every instance, PvP missions, etc). And the hardcore will stay long after they've hit maximum level because they feel they have a function in the world. Be a famous blacksmith, member of a guild of assassins, king, whatever. Those who have a social environment they feel happy in will stay no matter how long it took to reach maximum level and get all the 1337 gear.

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 04:04:31 PM »
The only MMO I really liked was Dark Age of Camelot. Nothing like dumping boiling oil on foes to brighten up your day and heat up their, uh, ex-life. I loved the frontiers. PvP at its finest.

Can't wait for Imperator to be finished* by Mythic.

*Yes, yes, Gamespy and everyone else made it seem like Imperator was canned, it wasn't. The Devs have said its been postponed so they can work on other things for a while.  
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 09:06:16 PM »
Imperator is dead. Trust me, that's what all the devs are saying. And they are saying the game wasn't turning out very well anyway (I'm not sure whether they meant the actual game or the public reaction but apparently the public hates non-generic-fantasy MMOs).

Forum Post
SyaPed: Was it completely canned? I thought it was just put on the backburner or something so they could concentrate on Warhammer...?
Arshlevon: believe me, and everyone else who worked on it.. cancelling it was the BEST thing they could of done..
Matabus: A-goddamn-men.

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 02:17:50 AM »
Well that goes completely against what I heard: Link.

We try never to say never around here. The assets we developed aren't going anywhere, and we still think the concept and the story have a lot of potential. We had great feedback at E3 from those who actually did a little play testing. For those reasons and more, we won't say cancelled - but we wanted to be very honest with fans in the press release, and make it clear that we weren't actively pursuing development for the time being

So, who's right? The artist or the PR person? I would be able to point out numerous posts the devs made on the VoxPlebis forum, but the site's been taken down.
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2005, 06:35:55 AM »
Alliance: Dainsharr on shadowmoon

Horde: I forget now..heh...

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2005, 10:23:15 AM »
I have a pally on Kargath named Legiont and a preist on Bonechewer named Azamaria
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2005, 11:02:11 AM »
On the subject of Warcraft; does anyone here play Warcraft 3?  
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2005, 07:04:17 PM »
I do Nemo, and TFT and  have WoW, Server: Firetree, Paladin, lv.60
What happens, happens ~Spike Cowboy bebop

Hey Shippo your village called, they're missing their idiot. ~Inuyasha

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 12:02:29 PM »
I got WoW like 2 months ago...yeah, I no longer play DS or my GC.

Server: Kirin Tor
Name: Morious
lv 30 Mage

pst me if you see me : )
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 08:13:34 PM »
heh, this old thread again? heh, You could always play me :P although I don't have a current subscription to WoW, I'm thinking about renewing.. dunno though
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2006, 09:44:08 PM »
I started playing out of spite. I ganked 169 people yesterday, without even going in battlegrounds. I hope to god I got some GM tickets sent out and some people in tears. Also, I pretend to be a girl to get free items, and it works. Also, I'm going to sell my account at the end of summer.

Edit: if you do not roll horde on a pvp server, chances are you are a child
http://ganked.ytmnd.com/

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2006, 11:54:51 PM »
I suppose that means the horde is in the minority on your server?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2006, 09:16:38 AM »
What does gank mean?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 01:10:59 PM »
Gank = player kill
And yeah, I think horde is the minority on this server, and pretty much every server @_@

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2006, 11:00:16 PM »
I've heard of Horde-majority servers...

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2006, 10:13:19 PM »
On mine it's about 55-60% alliance. I've heard on some places it's been as much as 75%.

nubs

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2006, 09:38:15 PM »
Dalvengyr.

Quit the game because PvE servers were boring, then they opened transfers to a PvP server because no one would leave...only to find that PvP servers are just as boring because PvP mostly happens in the BGs anyway.

But Dalv is a horde-heavy server. The alliance has more 60s right now, but the horde has a 58% lead on levels 10-60 which means that those who will fill out the ranks of the BGs are on their way.

Originally posted by: S-U-P-E-R
Gank = player kill

Specifically, a "gank" is a player killing another player who has no chance in hell of winning or fighting back.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2006, 03:02:20 AM »
I've never known gank to mean lower level specifically. On the other hand, I'm a nub. But on the other other hand, me and my buddy have "ganked" 60s tag teaming with our mid-40s characters.