Author Topic: Fighting Games  (Read 5152 times)

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Fighting Games
« on: September 22, 2005, 09:14:12 PM »
How would you make a fighting game using the revolution controller?
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
RE: Fighting Games
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 09:15:31 PM »

why not go here and find out

"Do it."

- Hutch (or was it Starsky)
I'll shut up now...

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 10:39:07 PM »
No one plays fighting games anymore.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
RE:Fighting Games
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 04:05:26 AM »
My most played GameCube game is Capcom vs SNK 2 EO. Me and my friends would play all sorts of multiplayer games, but we always ended up playing CvsS EO, why? We love 2D fighters.

Don't we all?
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 05:20:49 AM »
I love 2D fighting games...and I am curious to see what Nintendo can do with Smash Brothers.  

I think it is more possible than we imagine, and I think we will be surprised when we finally play it.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 05:47:12 AM »
I didn't like Smash Bros. that much. In fact, I bought the game and sold if for store credit two times. I just couldn't get into it. All of my friends loved it, and I always got my butt kicked.

Still, the aspect of playing alone to get trophys and stuff, doesn't work for me.

What I would really like is Nintendo to get Capcom to Publish more 2D fighters on Nintendo (Home) Systems. Through the N64, I never had a 2D fighter, so I had to pop out my Snes to play Street Fighter 2. On GameCube theres only ONE 2D fighter (that I know of), CvsS2EO, which is good, but not on par with the Marvel vs Capcom games. Why couldn't the N64 have all those 2D fighters? Why did we get just ONE for GameCube?

/rant
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 06:24:15 AM »
I may be willing to trade the 2d fighter genre in exchange for the point and click adventure genre on the Rev

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 06:37:22 AM »
What? No!

Infinite replay value > First run through the game, 20 hours. Second run through the game, 6 hours.

Fighters you can just play forever, they are dynamic (sp?), point and click adventure games begin AND end, period. No more to find/do. In a fighter, even if you have 100% of everything, if you have friends (or it's online), it's like the game is a fresh and new experience.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 09:32:06 AM »
They aren't even remotely comparable genres. Adventures are about experiencing a story and using logic (however twisted it may be) to solve puzzles (and if they're good they don't involve fighting), fighters are about adrenaline and beating the other guy to pulp.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 10:43:41 AM »
Well, that may be true KDR, but a game is a game. I was comparing replayability (sp?) of both genres.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Galford

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 10:48:57 AM »
I suppose you could use the Rev clam-shell to play 2d fighters.  
Still every gamepad since the SNES could play Street Fighter perfectly without any add-ons.  

Rev will break that tradition, it kinda sucks..

I suppose some 4 button SNK fighters could be played on REV,
but a LOT of Capcom stuff would simply not work.
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005, 12:43:29 PM »
"Why did we get just ONE for GameCube?"

Because the controller face buttons were shaped in a non-uniform pattern and the d-pad sucked.

The Rev is going to have ZERO fighters aside from anything Nintendo makes themselves.  That is unless the shell is included with every controller and is treated by Nintendo as something to actually use.  No third party is going to make a traditional fighting game with the remote.  The fighting game fanbase has very specific tastes and anything with weird controls wouldn't go over well.

In fact I'd say any sort of hardcore genre is going to be non-existant on the Rev.  The Rev is designed with non-gamers in mind so any game that has is complex enough that only a hardcore group of gamers likes it isn't going to fit.  The Rev lineup will probably be like Nintendo first party lineup in that it's very "everybody" focused.

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2005, 12:50:55 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
The Rev lineup will probably be like Nintendo first party lineup in that it's very "everybody" focused.

Which oddly enough, attracts nobody...Burn on the company that I love!

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2005, 05:17:12 PM »
 I admittedly don't know much about fighters, but couldn't the REV's d-pad substitute for 4 buttons?
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2005, 05:26:32 PM »
I doubt it could take a SNES Street Fighter II kind of beating.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2005, 05:46:51 PM »
Well, the N64's analogue stick couldn't take a Mario Party kind of beating, but that didn't stop Nintendo from releasing that game.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2005, 06:11:33 PM »
It DID stop them from making minigames that did such in the later games...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2005, 06:22:01 PM »
It also stopped me washing my right hand with soap for a week while the blister was healing. Washing it with soap not only hurt, but dried it out and then it started to crack....
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2005, 06:29:27 PM »
eeeew...
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2005, 07:50:09 PM »
yeah, I had a nasty MP-related injury too. The large, popped, blister on my palm took upwards of a month to fully heal, if I remember correctly....  

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2005, 07:50:49 PM »

In fact I'd say any sort of hardcore genre is going to be non-existant on the Rev.
A traditional controller is much better suited for genre's like FPSs, RTSs... oh wait. Almost any genre designed for a PC will play better on the Rev than any other console.

Strange, isn't it, how the projected lack of one genre on the Rev excites so much comment yet the to-date near total absense of playable RTS console games hasn't caused anyone to tell us that Sony and Microsoft are doomed. Classic 2d fighters (a genre I should, in the interests of full disclosure, admit I despise) are virtually the only thing that would require classic controls. I'm sorry, but hampering one genre in the interests of just about every other genre seems like an excellent trade to me.
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2005, 09:33:21 PM »
I get enough fighting games on the PC already and unlike their console brethren they work perfectly on a GC controller. Someone should give the KoF and Tekken dev teams a beating because they force us to use that godawful dpad. Why can't commercial developers realize that their control systems may not be the optimal system for fighting games? I don't think there's any indy fighter that differentiates between punches and kicks because nobody cares what the character does to execute e.g. a high jab. That also allows for wackier character designs because you're not forced to use a specific limb in any attack.