Author Topic: <b>Zelda Delayed to 2006</b>  (Read 48813 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: <b>Zelda Delayed to 2006</b>
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2005, 12:09:20 PM »
"The same logic that denotes that an artist will create what he wants to create and when he wants to create it, not what the people want him to create..."

Nintendo's primarily a business though.  From a business perspective it's an illogical move.  Nintendo may make some of the best games in the world but they're a corporation first and foremost.

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:<b>Zelda Delayed to 2006</b>
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2005, 12:11:05 PM »
When I say it'll hurt the sales, what I mean by that is most people, not just gamers, would be buying the game for Xmas gifts. Having it for spring of next year will not mean that it wont sell well, but rather that it missed a good chance to sell more gamecube and zeldas for under the trees.  When I also brought up drought, what I was trying to say is that now we dont have a major game from Nintendo for Xmas for the GC, so now there is an empty gap.
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2005, 12:12:27 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"The same logic that denotes that an artist will create what he wants to create and when he wants to create it, not what the people want him to create..."

Nintendo's primarily a business though.  From a business perspective it's an illogical move.  Nintendo may make some of the best games in the world but they're a corporation first and foremost.

If Ninty cared solely for the business end of the spectrum then they'd be doing all they could to push Twilight Princess out the door before the end of this fiscal year...Sure, it's NOT a very good business decision to delay the game, but who are they doing it for?  They are doing it to make the experience more enjoyable for US and what do we do; bitch about it...Talk about rotten...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2005, 12:13:34 PM »

Do you play their games or their fiscal reports?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2005, 12:22:45 PM »
"Do you play their games or their fiscal reports?"

I play their games but they have to stay in business to MAKE games, right?  They could have made both Twilight Princess and Wind Waker just in the opposite order.  Then maybe we wouldn't be in a situation where one game being delayed leaves a huge hole in the release schedule.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2005, 12:27:39 PM »

In fact, it's the dumbest move I've ever seen them make!

Seriously, with Twilight Princess ALONE, they could probably sell almost as many games this holiday season as PS2 and X-Box with all their games. Frankly, it's retarded! Didn't they do this with some other game before? It was a big game, slated for holiday release, would've made tons of cash, but they delayed it?

I was always unwavering in my trust in the people at Nintendo, but now I'm beginning to wonder. Who's idiot idea was it to miss a holiday release to put some crap in that wasn't going to be in in the first place?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2005, 12:34:51 PM »
I wonder what if any kind of alternative tactic Nintendo will use to sell Gamecubes this holiday season. I suppose they could bundle it with like three games or drop the price to $50 bucks or something. Of course at this point they might just concentrate on the DS and GBA. I mean, whether people admit it or not, the Gamecube didn't fail. It wasn't nearly as successful as it could have been but it did sell a decent number of units over the years had quite a few games that sold well and made Nintendo a profit and does have a successor on the way. Everyone at the beginning of this generation thought the Gamecube would go the way of the Dreamcast and Nintendo would go third-party but they were proven wrong and even if the Gamecube does horribly this holiday season it won't matter because this generation is pretty much over anyway.

As for TP. Nintendo is going to have to come up with some unique way of selling it. Someone mentioned way back at the start of this thread about selling it with a free Gamecube. That's exactly what Nintendo should do.
Sell Zelda with a special Zelda-edition Gamecube bundled in for just a little over the price of a single game and advertise the hell out of it. I bet a lot of Oot fans who never bought a Gamecube would go for it.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2005, 12:41:50 PM »
"Someone mentioned way back at the start of this thread about selling it with a free Gamecube. That's exactly what Nintendo should do. Sell Zelda with a special Zelda-edition Gamecube bundled in for just a little over the price of a single game and advertise the hell out of it."

By the time TP gets released though the Rev will be close enough to release that for a non-Cube owner it would make more sense to just wait a little bit provided they have the extra money.  I think they should have two periods of marketing.  The first one at release which is basically just "hey Zelda's out now" which should be pretty easy.  Just show some footage in a commercial and every Cube owner will buy it.  Then when the Rev comes out they cut the price by about 10 bucks or so and then run a new commercial spot that focuses on backwards compatibility and the download feature of the Rev and TP is heavily promoted in that ad.  The idea there is to sell TP to new Rev owners who didn't own a Cube and can play Twlight Princess on their new console.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2005, 01:00:50 PM »

Originally posted by: nemo_83

As has already been said, this is unsatin fo sure.

What the F*CK are you TALKING about? What the hell does "unsatin" mean? It's "not a fabric of silk with a glossy surface on one side"? That is quite frankly the most STUPID phrase I've ever heard.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2005, 01:02:05 PM »
I think it's a shame so many people leave their GameCubes unplayed.  It seems like people only pay attention to the new releases, because with 400 games available, I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who's played through all of the good ones.  Maybe I'm just easily amused, or maybe I haven't beaten as many games as everyone else, but I can easily find 10 worthwhile GameCube games that aren't in my collection for the price of an Xbox 360.  And I'll still get to play Twighlight Princess.

P.S. On alternative marketing tactics for GameCube:  Free games are nice, but I think it's too late in the generation for a kamikaze attack like 3 free games to be worthwhile.  Realistically, the Cube only has one year left to live.  Giving away three games to gain customers that may only buy one or two more games before they trade the GameCube in isn't smart.  All that gaining lots of marketshare this late in the "war" does is give Nintendo some bragging rights, so the company shouldn't make big sacrifices for it.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2005, 01:08:21 PM »
If you guys are worried about Nintendo's livlihood, just make sure you buy a DS and as many games for it as possible.  The PSP is a threat, the XBox 360 is not.

Why do I say that?  Because we all know that this generation wasn't the greatest for Nintendo on the home console side of things (sales wise).  I think its pretty safe to say that a good portion of the gamecubes that have been sold, were sold through to Nintendo fans.  These fans aren't going anywhere.  We will still buy the Rev and enjoy it, and Nintendo's financial sense will assure them profit even on 'third place' sales numbers.

Nintendo makes most of its money on the handheld market.  Just look at some of the sales data.  500000 copies of a gamecube game is deamed a good sales amount.  (not great, but good)  Fricken retro atari classics 13 sells that many on the GBA.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2005, 01:09:12 PM »
What is ridiculous about this news is that this game was supposedly done in the spring time.  Either they're putting in voice acting for the localized version, putting in forward compatibility with the REV controller, or they are putting in forward compatibility with the REV "noline" service.  It is unusual of Nintendo to delay to add in whole new areas or dungeons to a game.  No, when they want a game to seem longer they just slap in a fetch quest.  This can't be them working out bugs, I doubt there were that many to justify them working on this game for an extra year after it was finished.  They must have decided to add something in like four sword online play.  At least that is what I will fantasize for now, because this news is terrible.  Maybe there really will be a GameBoyCube.  

I can't decide if I am going to get a PS2slim with Shadow of Collosus or 360 with PD0.

I am going to have to buy a REV to play the new Zelda because right now I am thinking of selling the Cube.  

At first, when I brought it home; I said, "this won't turn out like my poor Dreamcast."  I know how to pick them; this is what I get for buying consoles for games.  Two duds and no Knights on my Dreamcast, and no Mario 128 and still no ultimate Zelda on Cube.  
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2005, 01:09:41 PM »

Originally posted by: joshnickerson

What the F*CK are you TALKING about? What the hell does "unsatin" mean? It's "not a fabric of silk with a glossy surface on one side"? That is quite frankly the most STUPID phrase I've ever heard.

For those that missed the joke

read stevey's 2nd post and then read mine right after that, that is where it comes from

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2005, 01:12:03 PM »

Originally posted by: joshnickerson

now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2005, 01:15:47 PM »
I will repeat.  We should have seen this coming.  Nintendo has a huge load of Gamecube games that they have been working on, or have contracted out to other companies.  Too many for this year and next year....specially if Next year they are releasing the Revolution Mid-Summer...which I guess is most likely improbable.

Now, we had Nintendo show a very strong list of games coming out at E3 for the Cube and you knew that not all those games could be released at the same time.  The competition between that many Nintendo released exclusives would have killed sales for all the games.

Perhaps Nintendo delayed the wrong game...but again they aren't in complete say of what games get delayed they release the games that are ready.  Nintendo still has a very strong holiday lineup, and more now Nintendo could potentially save itself and one of its largest franchises from a possible embarassing release.  (If Zelda did poorly up against the Xbox 360 launch it could weaken its power in the media's and gamer's eyes.)  

The Cube still has GREAT games coming out.

What is very interesting to me about this press release is that Nintendo states that in March they will announce a definate date for Zelda.  It won't be available in March, neccessarly.  We may actually have a half year or year delay.  Then why not push for this game to be Revolutionary.  This decision was probably made awhile ago.  There was a story about Zelda for Revolution already being worked on.  (I am not saying this is definately what I believe, but I think it is plausible.)

Ian is being too negative because he is trashing one of the finest Zelda games ever created (Wink Waker) saying it really isn't a Zelda game.  Listen, it is Nintendo's franchise and you should allow the artists to explore and create new experiences otherwise we will be stuck with what you HATE cheap sequels that just give the masses what they want.  Nintendo has always tried to do something little different with each sequel...sometimes greatly different.  

All Nintendo has to do now, is choose the right 2 games to market the hell out of, and present them as THE games to own for this holiday season.  Those 2 games I think should be Fire Emblem and Battalion Wars.  Both are games that older gamers can enjoy, yet are still friendly to all ages (exactly what Nintendo should be known for.)

Zelda should be prepped for Revolution and at launch either in this summer Nintendo should have:

Zelda
Smash Brothers
new IP
Metroid Prime 3

ready for launch, and have a killer lineup of games you MUST own for a great Nintendo launch.  A launch like this also frees up Nintendo to explore new IPs and other creative gaming, because it has already provided 3 of its largest franchises

OR, if Nintendo waits till Christmas to launch then Nintendo should release Revolution with

Zelda
Smash Brothers
Metroid Prime 3
Mario Revolution
New IP

Once again have a power packed launch that allows you to branch out and explore more creative games.  

Also remember we still have Kirby Gamecube Game for next year, or that game also could be retooled for the Revolution.  

Now matter if you look at it through my eyes or a more realistic eyes that the delay is for normal reasons.  Nintendo has a bright future ahead of itself.

1)A stellar first party lineup for the holiday season
2)A stellar portable market about to BOOM with great new games and bring Nintendo online for the first time.
3)A Zelda game being perfected and polished to remind the world what Nintendo does best.
4)The Revolution looming in the future to shock the world with what Nintendo means by innovation.
5)Miyamoto working of bringing a truly new experience for Mario as well, which will hopefully have the full polish treatment like Zelda Twillight Princess will get.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2005, 01:18:46 PM »
"It seems like people only pay attention to the new releases, because with 400 games available, I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who's played through all of the good ones."

It probably depends on at what period the person bought a Cube.  I bought one at launch so new releases are what I pay attention to the most because I've been buying games for the system as they're released from the beginning.  If you buy a Cube now then yeah, you've got quite a few games to play.  But when you've owned one since launch those 400 games are spread out over a period of almost four years.  The old games I haven't played yet are ones that at the time of release I wasn't very interested in and thus intentionally skipped.

Though oviously personal opinion plays a big role but the problem with the Cube is that it doesn't allow you to be have picky or specific tastes.  If you like every major game then you're sitting pretty.  But if you don't then the variety drops like a rock.  Compare this to the PS2 where even if you completely avoid the major titles there are tons of more obscure games and hidden gems to choose from.  I haven't bought one Cube game all year so far.  I'll probably get RE4 at some point (at the time of release I was still into Metroid Prime 2) but other than that I wasn't interested in the other games.  I don't own the bongos or really want them so I didn't get Jungle Beat, Star Fox Assault sounded like total crap, and Killer 7 sounded like it was pretty weak in the gameplay department.  What else is there?  I wasn't interested in only three games so several months have gone by where I've had nothing to play.  That's why this delay is so major.  For some it is the only game of the year they're interested in because the lineup is so slim.  Cube owners can't be expected to like every high profile game.  We should only be expected to like about a quarter of them.  A quarter is like one or two games for the rest of the year.  That's unacceptable.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2005, 01:26:05 PM »
"Ian is being too negative because he is trashing one of the finest Zelda games ever created (Wink Waker) saying it really isn't a Zelda game."

I never said that.  I said it wasn't really what I wanted out of a Zelda game.  I still enjoyed the hell out of it and don't regret buying it at all.  It's a great game by normal game standards, it's just pretty weak as a Zelda game.

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2005, 01:26:33 PM »

What is ridiculous about this news is that this game was supposedly done in the spring time.  Either they're putting in voice acting for the localized version, putting in forward compatibility with the REV controller, or they are putting in forward compatibility with the REV "noline" service.  It is unusual of Nintendo to delay to add in whole new areas or dungeons to a game.  No, when they want a game to seem longer they just slap in a fetch quest.

No.  Fetch quests are what Nintendo has been doing as it half-arsed its way through the GameCube era.  On the N64, Nintendo delayed games so it could make them complete.  On the GameCube fetching has become Nintendo's quick fix for making games seem longer without delaying them.  Nintendo said in the press release itself that it's adding more levels, and has stated in at least one interview (Nintendo Power) that the game will have more dungeons than The Ocarina of Time.  

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #118 on: August 16, 2005, 01:32:03 PM »
Wow, I can't believe people are ready to sell their gamecube because a game was delayed... not cancelled... delayed...

You people are all silly.
---------------------

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2005, 01:56:49 PM »
May as well sell it, what else will I do with it?  REV will be out soon after or right when Zelda releases for Cube if Nintendo is smart making the game more widely marketable with the new system, fresh face, and wider audience.

Zelda sure as hell won't encourage any more Cubes to be sold now.  If anyone is thinking of buying a new piece of hardware it is likely got MS written on it.

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2005, 02:00:03 PM »
Pale: I think there's some exaggerating going on.

Ian: You really should play DKJB, it's so great.  If you've at least tried it, then cool, but that game really has to be experienced.

Eh, this might be my last post on the topic, so I'll sum up my opinion.  Yeah, it's a poor business decision.  I personally think it's too late in the system's lifespan for that to be a really big deal anyway, but I admit it will hurt sales of the game, and probably sales of the GameCube.  But on the gaming side of things, I couldn't be happier.  I believe this delay will make the difference between yet another good game that is forced to fill up time with fetch quests and an outstanding game that could be the absolute best in the 3D LoZ series.

Ah, who am I kidding, no Zelda game without Tingle will be the best in the series!  

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2005, 02:01:40 PM »
Nintendo is holding Zelda hostage.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2005, 02:11:31 PM »
"Ian: You really should play DKJB, it's so great. If you've at least tried it, then cool, but that game really has to be experienced."

I've played the demo in stores.  To be fair I've never put in more than a few minutes of time into it but I really wasn't that impressed with what I played.  I just couldn't get the controls.  It was like Nintendo thought "let's make a game that uses the BONGOS" but didn't have any concept in mind to justify it.  I was like bongo controls for the sake of bongo controls and I just couldn't figure out what the hell I was doing.

I'd like to mention that I have no intention of selling my Cube.  I don't sell old consoles and I don't really see any reason to sell a Cube because of this.  We are still getting the game just later.  I also don't intend on buying an Xbox 360.  At the very least I'm going to wait until I see the Rev.  I think other people will buy X360's and Nintendo will lose a fair chunk of their fanbase though.

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2005, 02:14:49 PM »
I don't remember how long Ocarina of Time was in development for but I don't thing it was 3years and that is my biggest concern. The GameCube, as I'm hearing, is not too hard to make a game for. Even more so, why would it take a 1st party company 3years to perfect "any" game. Metriod Prime is about as perfect a game as there can be. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think it took this long. "Polish" is one thing but mark my words boys and girls, there is more to this delay than just "polish". Boy, don't I sound like the confident one. Almost as if I had a hot tip on a race horse...

Hopefully all those satin DS titles coming out this fall can easy my wait for the Return of the King

Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #124 on: August 16, 2005, 02:19:41 PM »
That's right, people.  Nintendo's fanbase will flock to post-apocalyptic FPSs, racers with the same realistic cars, and zombie-filled adventures that have zombies for the sake of filling the screen with zombies.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.