Author Topic: Halo 2, Thoughts?  (Read 25375 times)

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Halo 2, Thoughts?
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2004, 12:24:08 AM »
That 'feature' is actually one of Microsoft's requirements.  If you boot up any game with a controller in any of the four ports, you should be able to play as normal.  This is why most, if not all multiplayer games are determined not by port 1, 2, 3 and 4, but by who presses START first, second, third and fourth.
It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

Offline ABlueflameA

• View Profile
RE:Halo 2, Thoughts?
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2004, 07:51:35 AM »
hey, I also found Halo 2 to be lackluster.  I thought that single player/co-op was boring, lacked good sniping levels, and focused way too much on close combat.  

I did like the destroyable vehicles as well as the ability to use melee attacks against the vehicles.

I do not like how difficult it is to actually board the tanks after you kill its previous occupant through said melee attacks.

The sword is fun for a little while, but in corridors it is almost unstopable unless you have a rocket launcher.  When you target your enemy with it you almost literally fly to your enemy and deal a 1 hit kill.  WAY overpowered.

Generally, I dont like the look or feel of multiplayer (i've played with anywhere from 2 people to 12 on a high speed LAN) no bots, annoying sign in/sign out system which changes who the dominant "first player" is, as well as limiting the game to 16 players, which is quite attainable in a fraternity or on Xbox Live.

As far as level designs go, most of them have too much "junk".  This goes double for Blood Gulch which should not have been edited AT ALL except for adding the hangars for the banshees.  Stupid rock formations and smaller level.

I'd suggest that Xbox owners go and actually RENT before buying, as single player can EASILY be beaten in 10 hours by a decent Halo player.

-blueflame
Yea! Ramen!

Offline weemer917

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2004, 01:00:44 PM »
All this hype about Halo 2 has really bored me. Halo 1 didnt wow me at all and I am amazed that its still in my library.  So, in a few days Im gonna trade this one in for a GameCube game. I havent decided what I am gonna trade Halo in for yet.

Offline AMac2002

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2004, 01:05:48 PM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666

Originally posted by: AMac2002

Originally posted by: Professional 666
What's this splitscreen interface I keep hearing about in multi?  Is this on Live?  Someone plz clarify.

Sorry, can you be more specific?

Umm, I hear there's a 4-way splitscreen during multiplayer.  Why is the screen divided?  Is this present in XBL play or offline play?  I'd assume people would want to play their online FPSs with the maximum viewing space available, 1 screen.

Sorry, I really don't understand what you're saying. When you go online, you have one screen, and if you have guests, then it splits into split-screen. Hope that helps...

Offline AMac2002

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2004, 01:09:59 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
No it's not...I didn't like that part of the game, period...It was annoying and just plain NOT FUN...

But a 5? Anyways, I agree that they weren't as fun as fighting the convenant, but they really are pretty good in this one. A new cool thing they added is that if you kill one of the big walking flood guys, they little floods can go into them and bring them back to life. It's cool to watch the first time, and a nice little feature.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2004, 06:21:40 PM »
Its not bad until you play on legendary.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2004, 08:12:59 PM »
I'm officially pissed off by Halo 2 and Microsoft.

After owning Halo 2 for a  mere week it has killed my XBOX.  For some dumb reason my game lags, freezes, has graphic flickers, and sometimes un-textured models.  This is happening during menu screens, campaign, multiplayer, and Online play.  I called microsft and they think its a cd drive issue, yet i tell them all my other games work fine.  They tell me my xbox is out of warranty (6 month long warranty) and in order for them to fix it i need to pay $80.

This is my second xbox that has had a "cd drive problem".  My first xbox stopped recognizing music cd's.  Now i understand why Microsoft is in a lawsuit over "cd drive" issues.

Im going to see if my store manager will let me do a return exchange for me next week.

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2004, 09:54:20 AM »
Is there another extra scene in the game if you beat it on legendary mode?
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2004, 06:04:38 PM »
I heard it was 2 new multiplayer maps but i doubt it.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2004, 06:33:00 AM »
After playing the game a bit more I feel I'm not as harsh as I was before...I'm rather pissed at the scewed weapon balance(Bungie: let's take out the pistol and replace it with the freaking invincible battle rifle!)...Playing co-op was fun, and the levels seemed more fun to play, and really look more like Half-life 2 than Halo(though there were exceptions...Damn you Flood)  The multiplayer maps are a mixed bag, as I love the outdoor city map, but absolutely despise what Bungie has done to Blood Gultch...Playing with shields in multiplayer is ridiculous, and if you manage to get a Banshee when shields are on you are pretty damn close to invincible if your friends don't have rocket launchers...The main story is actually a bit interesting, but not as much as Bungie hyped it to be...Overall Bungie improved on the generic firstperson shooter, but it's hardly revolutionary, and not very evolutionary either...8/10 from me(at least, as far as I've gotten)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2004, 08:11:03 AM »
All you get for beating Legendary is the date "February 9th". I'd say that's when they release the rest of the story on Live or as an expansion pack.

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2004, 10:32:49 AM »
I also thought that some of the weapons they added were pretty much usless like the Brute Grenade Launcher, the Covenant Assult Riffle, and the lazer gun dropped by the flood-fighting robots. I loved the plasma sword however

Offline DS_dude1o1

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2004, 01:37:11 PM »
HALO 2 ROCKS!
|)$ is going to be teh UBER leet!
It's coming out 2morrow! WOO HOO!
G4TechTv DS DAY TOMMOROW TOO!
WOOHOO

Offline AMac2002

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2004, 05:26:48 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
All you get for beating Legendary is the date "February 9th". I'd say that's when they release the rest of the story on Live or as an expansion pack.

Sorry bud, but the campaign will NEVER be extended. It's just not gonna happen, we have to live with that cliffhanger for few more years.

My bet is it's either Halo 3 announcement, or some DLC.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2004, 07:00:43 PM »
Aha, the disappointing near-end maps and the horrible ending land this game a 7.5/10 as a final score for me...

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2004, 07:53:03 PM »
I thought the single player was "bleh, same thing again"

But the multiplayer seems totally awesome and a bit better balanced than the first one - two handed weapons add a lot, as do the new weapons, and a better balancing of vehicles. Is it just me, though, or is it harder to get head shots with the sniper rifle?

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2004, 10:02:16 PM »
I thought sniping heads was hard at first too, but i got used to it again.

After trying Halo 2 online more........I've come to the conclusion that it isn't very good, if you can have a lan party do it instead.  

Xbox live is terrible interface.  Matchmaking takes forever, game does not give you any kind of ability to actually see games being hosted, instead matchmaking is completely random.  On an average i most likely spend  near half my time waiting in the matchmaking lobby which is just a blue screen with 4 circles indicating whats happening from searching to loading map.

Whoever worked on the menu system, interfaces, and online matchmaking needs to be shot in the face with dual needlers!

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2004, 01:02:39 AM »
3 months to the day after Halo 2 came out is the secret date.  Could it be?  Is it possible, that actually they have a few more missions actually on the disk, waiting to be unlocked by live?  I don't think it is out of the question, and even sounds like a my post is a train wreck thing to do.  In 3 months, hype will have died down substantially.  The Christmas season will be far enough behind that everybody who got it for Christmas will have had time to played through it.  By unlocking another/the rest of the levels that date interest in the singleplayer (and game overall really) will go up, and they will recieve more sales.  (Consequently, it would also require those who bought it release date and whose Live! subsciptions ended, due to being only 2 months free, to register, and shell out more money for Live!  Sorry if I see that as a my post is a train wreck tactic, but it is.)

It does sound far fetched, but I would really dig it if something like this happened.  I don't think it is too far from possible either.  It would be similar to how Half Life 2 unlocked for those people who downloaded the game prior to its release.  What ever the date though, I wonder...

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2004, 02:05:11 AM »
I dunno.  If I was informed that I had to unlock the other half of my $50 game by paying $50 more for a Live! subscription, I'd feel pretty irked.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2004, 08:41:07 PM »
Why does everyone think the ending was so bad? All it does is give alot of promise for Halo 3 for me.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2004, 02:13:21 AM »
Because a game should end...

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2004, 08:27:14 AM »
true Bill....but what they did with Halo 2 reminds me of what they did in Star Wars. You have to watch the first three altogether because the story becomes so deep.

Offline AMac2002

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2004, 10:27:47 AM »
huh, that's a pretty positive outlook. wow, you just made the whole ending better for me.

still, it is a little dissapointing, but maybe the whole thing has just been taken a bit too seriously.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2004, 07:24:31 AM »
the ending is bad because I expect an entire game when I put down that kind of money.  This is the first game I've returned in about three years.  They easily could have added four or five more levels to the game and extended its story out, but no offline gamers are a secondary thought.

Offline AMac2002

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2004, 02:15:13 PM »
Well, I think he's more mad about the ending itself, more than when it happened (although that is still part of the problem.) It's just you're saying it's more of a "short game" than a "badly ended" one.