Author Topic: Brawl Delayed to February in N. America  (Read 24466 times)

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Brawl Delayed to February in N. America
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 08:05:30 AM »

How are you complaining that Melee was rushed? The game was near perfect...

Welp, there goes the thread lol.

Melee was rushed, as awesome as it was I will agree that there were some areas that felt rushed and tacked on.

I still say the game was fantastic and one of my favorite games to play well ever but Brawl is just taking it to the next level. To a level I don't think will be topped for a very...very very long time.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Brawl Delayed to February in N. America
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 08:06:58 AM »

Originally posted by: Mashiro

How are you complaining that Melee was rushed? The game was near perfect...

Welp, there goes the thread lol.

Melee was rushed, as awesome as it was I will agree that there were some areas that felt rushed and tacked on.

I still say the game was fantastic and one of my favorite games to play well ever but Brawl is just taking it to the next level. To a level I don't think will be topped for a very...very very long time.

I don't see what the problem is with admitting it is rushed, I LOVE SMS and Wind Waker yet I admit they had many components that made it feel rushed.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Maximilian

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 08:15:52 AM »
Hey, I'm all for them taking as much time as they need for this game.  It will be worth waiting for.  A rushed game sucks forever, though waiting for a great game is only a temporary thing.  I'm also glad Nintendo is returning to taking the "quality not quantity" approach of the good old days.

Besides, my holiday lineup is already pretty crowded.  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2007, 08:19:08 AM »

Originally posted by: Maximilian
Hey, I'm all for them taking as much time as they need for this game.  It will be worth waiting for.  A rushed game sucks forever, though waiting for a great game is only a temporary thing.  I'm also glad Nintendo is returning to taking the "quality not quantity" approach of the good old days.

Besides, my holiday lineup is already pretty crowded.  

That is perhaps the biggest reason why I can accept this delay, there are way too many good to great games coming out next month. It is also good to know Galaxy won't get overshadowed as well.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2007, 08:23:31 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale
How are you complaining that Melee was rushed?  The game was near perfect...

1. Lackluster hidden characters
2. CLONES!
3. Unfinished Pokemon (Ditto)
4. Deleted stages (the FE stage)
5. Uneven number of trophies
6. Missing and rushed trophies (Dixie but no Diddy? Super Smooth Koopa but blocky Paratroopa??)
7. Mixed graphics (parts looked great, some were weird)
8. Disorganized menus (the stage select menu and character select menu were poorly organized)

If people thought Melee was a perfect game with these flaws present imagine how PHENOMENAL Brawl will be now that the team has3 more months to work on it?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2007, 08:33:10 AM »
Hah, I'm not going to derail the thread, but it sounds to me like there is no way you will ever be happy with Brawl.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2007, 08:41:47 AM »
Pap64 has been corrupted by Smash_Bros' unreasonable.. um, Smash Bros demands.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2007, 08:45:31 AM »
Delays are always a sad thing, but I agree that Nintendo taking extra time is a great thing. I do wonder if it's three months of some super spitshine polish or if some licensing breakthrough/last-minute idea occured and now a new character + stage + items + etc. is go to be in the mix. We got Konami and Sega with an invite character, perhaps Capcom, Bandai-Namco, Square-Enix, or Tecmo sent back their RSVP to? Better yet, Natsume! A Harvest Moon character would be great.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2007, 08:58:25 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale
Hah, I'm not going to derail the thread, but it sounds to me like there is no way you will ever be happy with Brawl.

Why? It sounds like Smash Bros Brawl is going to correct many of those things? The clones were a dead giveaway to it being rushed before it was fully ready.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2007, 09:04:30 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
Pap64 has been corrupted by Smash_Bros' unreasonable.. um, Smash Bros demands.

Actually, I was disappointed with Melee long before I met S_B. I was more annoyed at the clone characters. Some made sense but nearly all of them were pointless. Dr. Mario? Ganondorf a Cpt. Falcon clone?????

I was also disappointed with the trophies, the one feature I was looking forward to. Like I said, the finally tally was un-even, trophies were missing and many of them were just stage elements ripped from the game.

And for the record, I am more than happy with how Brawl is turning out. I am still reserving my final judgment, but considering that they are actually working hard on it might be the experience the Melee developers wanted it to be but were rushed.

And Ian, I was the one that called Pikmin niche. I say it was niche because it was a brand new IP, an extremely cute one on a questionable console. Even if Nintendo worked hard on promoting it there was no way the game would've pushed systems. That's the thing with  new IPs, they are either smash hits (Wii Sports, Pokemon) or massive flops (Jungle Beat, Psychonauts).
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline bubicus

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2007, 09:05:50 AM »
Or maybe... just maybe a little bit... Nintendo finally admitted to itself one of the secret truths of the game industry: post-Christmas games sell well. Blizzard has had the most obvious success with WoW (Jan 2005) and Starcraft (Feb 1998), but other companies have also had success after Christmas. There's only a limited amount of money to go around before Christmas, and there are too many game releases. Something usually has to give in a family's budget.  Also, marketing messages become drowned out around Christmas time as there are too many other things vying for consumers' attentions. Marketing costs are higher around Christmas, too, and Nintendo already has to push Mario and Sonic, Super Mario Galaxy, Battalion Wars II, Wii Fit, and a bunch of other games. So maybe they're thinking, "Well, we can stretch our marketing dollar a bit more if we polish Brawl for another month or two. That will improve the game,  and we'll be able to advertise it better after Christmas."

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention another possible factor: if there are few other games released in March, then more people will want to buy Brawl.

-----------------------------------------------------
Someday, I'll resurrect bubblebobble.com/bubandbob.com...

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2007, 09:08:04 AM »
What I like about Brawl is that they are able to take the foundations from Melee and go crazy with it, getting more then enough time to turn it into a extremely polished game with a lot of variety.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2007, 09:19:26 AM »
The clones suggest Melee was rushed but the game is still one of the best games Nintendo ever made.  Maybe HAL handles being rushed better than EAD does.  Metroid Prime would technically have been rushed as well but you wouldn't notice it playing the game.  So I guess Retro is good at handling a rush too.  EAD needs to suck it up and learn a few things from their colleagues.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2007, 09:36:41 AM »
I've been a Nintendo fan for so long that Delays make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. &>
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2007, 10:11:32 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
I've been a Nintendo fan for so long that Delays make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. &>

It reminds me of the N64 era, which brought about some of the most polished Nintendo titles around.

Offline Neodymium

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2007, 10:37:12 AM »
If they added voice communication, it would be worth it.

But they won't and I'm sad.
The Mighty Pirate formerely known as PS2stinks..

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2007, 10:49:06 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

Originally posted by: Kairon

It reminds me of the N64 era, which brought about some of the most polished Nintendo titles around.

Yes plz!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2007, 11:11:14 AM »

Originally posted by: Tanookisuit
The delay is to include new collectible items- stuffed animal gallery and temporary tatoo gallery.

Worst. Excuse. Ever.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2007, 11:11:43 AM »
I'm not sure what this delay is going to mean.  Since it's only two months, this tells me that they probably needed more time to test the online functionality.  A push out of two months doesn't indicate major reworking, or really any massive additions, but it does indicate that somebody said, "this isn't ready for prime time, we need to add six more weeks to the schedule to get where we need to be".

If they had pushed this out to Q3 2008, then that means they're adding something major.  But two months?  In the scope of a project like this, that's tweaking time+maybe a few more trophies or low-risk extras.

I'm sure NCL's stance is "Need more time?  Sure, whatever...we have Mario Galaxy."
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2007, 11:17:46 AM »

Originally posted by: Shift Key

Originally posted by: Tanookisuit
The delay is to include new collectible items- stuffed animal gallery and temporary tatoo gallery.

Worst. Excuse. Ever.

Haha, I'd be all over that stuffed animal gallery...

The delay is disappointing, considering I'll be home for the first time in months over Christmas, and that means no multiplayer fun with my friends, but I guess I can suck it up...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2007, 11:37:51 AM »
Well, at least it'll be perfect, and at least I won't be flat broke.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2007, 11:41:52 AM »
Sticker mechanic refinements were needed, so that is why they delayed it.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2007, 11:42:41 AM »
Launch title for the win
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2007, 12:05:25 PM »
Sometimes I get really frustrated with how people view the development cycle of a game.

Have you ever stopped to think that maybe, just maybe, the clones aren't rushed and are instead extras?  Would you have been happier if they were just taken out?  For Melee, I'm sure Nintendo said "this game needs to be out the same holiday season as the system."  This statement probably occurred well before it happened.

Development started.  The core game was coming together.  Team members were then shifted to added content as they were freed up.  "Guys, let's just get in as many trophies as we have time for."  "Hey look at this.  While we were balancing Captain Falcon, we got this other cool possibility in upping his power but slowing him down.  This doesn't really fit with what Captain Falcon is all about, but it would be really cool if we could get a Ganondorf model in here."

You are all so pessimistic in saying that the game came out the way it did because it was rushed.  The game came out the way it did because everything you just complained about are essentially extras that they put in.

Not to mention some of your complaints are completely ridiculous.  You are upset because the trophy count can't be evenly divided by 2?  Or 5?  er 10?  er 100?  I don't even know what would qualify as not an odd number.  You are just making a baseless assumption that they wanted 300 and ran out of time when it is just as likely they had 200 originally planned, and 93 more were just snuck in.

/sigh.  You won't enjoy Brawl because you tried to hate Melee.  Look how hard you tried.  That list is just silly.  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2007, 12:12:39 PM »
Pale I think you are in extreme denial.