Author Topic: The NWR Mailbag Talkback Thread  (Read 51161 times)

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: The NWR Mailbag Talkback Thread
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2007, 11:19:24 AM »
I still think that since the forecast channel has access to:
A) weather forecasts
and
B) A clock,

It should be able to at least approximate the current weather. It's just absurd to see day and night icons jumbled together in the same area.

Offline Kraven

• One of the goofier Spider-Man villains
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:The NWR Mailbag Talkback Thread
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2007, 05:19:08 PM »
I just wanted to point out a mistake in the newest mailbag, you said that you had to be 18 to get an M game and 21 to get an AO game.  It is in fact 17 for M-rated and 18 for AO.  I work for a certain video game retail chain and have that must be 17 to buy an M-Rated game rule shoved down my throat.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2007, 05:48:02 PM »
Datel already has an SD card for sale with a bunch of gamesaves, I saw it at Wal-Mart the other day.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline HadesGigas

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2007, 08:30:17 PM »

Then again, no major console was as cheap ($250) at launch and as loaded (free game, no need for memory cards)

Great point. No other major console has been cheaper than that and launched with a free game and no need for memory cards. Only minor consoles that are totally forgettable, like Atari 2600, NES, SNES...  

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2007, 09:32:57 PM »
Adjust for inflation and Steven is still correct....but yeah, that's an iffy statement, Windy.

Atari $200 @ 1977 = $684 @ 2006
NES $200 @ 1986 = $361 @ 2006
SNES $200 @ 1991 = $298 @ 2006

Of course, Wii doesn't come with a second controller...
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2007, 01:58:57 AM »
I think your wrong on the age buying of "M" and "AO" rated games

M-rated games are 17 and older
AO is 18 years and older

There is no federal law to my knowledge that requires any retailer to card a customer when buying a game.  

Many retailers DO by choice, and there may be some state laws that require it

You DO NOT have to be 21 or older to buy an AO rated game or 18 to buy a M rated game.  Some states may have laws that invoke your rule but I don't know of any.
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 04, 2007, 03:39:25 AM »
Are there actually any state laws about that?  I thought they'd all been shot down in court?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 04, 2007, 04:22:58 AM »
I just wanted to say that Datel is coming out of a revised Action Replay that will work, in fact I got an email a couple days ago from one of the employees asking if I wanted to wait for it to be compatible with Wii or get it now.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 04, 2007, 11:22:06 AM »
Any word on freeloader? huh??? HUH!?!?!?! ::cries:: I wanna play NGTNT:EX2

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 04, 2007, 11:54:37 AM »
I asked a Wiimote question a while ago and I don't recall ever seeing it being answered. Do you guys usually get a lot of crappy questions that you have to toss out?  
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline zero64

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 04, 2007, 05:02:40 PM »
About the under level 10 Mews, they certainly exist, just not legitimately. Maybe the people asking for them are not using cheat devices, and/or for some reason want to hold their Pokemon on GTS (e.g. to duplicate them) by asking for an "impossible" match. I'm not sure.

Anyway, you said "they don't know", but I'm pretty sure they do know just about everything there is to know; at least, I was surprised to see how much. If the FAQs on GameFAQs and elsewhere don't convince you of that, search for "pokesav" on YouTube. It's sad how broken the system can be for the legitimate players, with all the hacking that's possible (though there are rumors of Nintendo somehow blocking "impossible" Pokemon, I haven't heard anything yet for sure).

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 04, 2007, 05:06:12 PM »
Well, as a person who has duplicated Pokemon with the Wi-fi trick, I can say that you want to pick technically impossible matches to do so with.  I've gotten some obviously hacked pokemon trying to copy something more legitimate.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2007, 07:36:03 PM »
Things I want to talk about with the new mailbag update:

1.  Nick, the guy who mentioned competition:  First, MS's gaming division is farther in the red then you believe.  So far, only one quarter has been in the black since the launch of the original Xbox, and after last fiscal year, Microsoft added a one billion dollar loss to retroactively to cover the RRoD issues.  That goes to show that Microsoft is actually at least over a billion dollars in the red, but if someone were to do all the numbers, we'd see it's well over that.  It is even questionable whether Halo 3 and Christmas can pull them out for the second black quarter ever, at this point.

2.  Furthermore, you don't have to worry about video game competition.  There are other companies out there that can venture into the market, should others fall out.  It's part of Capitalism, too.  I've been saying that GE could, actually, as well as Apple, or EA, Square-Enix, or even Capcom or Bandai-Namco.  However, if there were no lasting competition, this would not necessarily be a bad thing.  In fact, it might be beneficial to all gamers.  Take a look at video media.  We have the DVD, which has faced no lasting competition.  Anyone could buy one DVD player, and play any movie published between about 1998 up to now, as well as every re-release of earlier movies, too.  Now, we're looking to a new generation of high definition video players, and two formats stand out.  We've got HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, and right now neither is truly making great progress over the other.  As a result, if a consumer wants to be able to play any new release in the current HD standards, that consumer is forced to pay at least three hundred dollars per machine, as well as forced to foot the bill for the movies on top of that.  We went from having access to all the movies to only being able to play half of them without paying a great deal more for an extra, though unnecessary (in theory) device.  Essentially, what I'm saying is that sometimes competition isn't best for consumers.  While it was in earlier years, as game machines increase in cost, this competition is beginning to be harmful to the industry, which cannot support even one high-end machine, let alone two right now, mostly due to cost.  Perhaps it might be better if we let the market regulate itself, and see what happens.  Regardless, you don't need to be worried about the competition.  Just make purchases that benefit you, and as long as everyone else does the same, the best should emerge.

3.  Then, to Mr. Evil King Drool:
Remakes are not a bad thing at all.  Again, I must cite movies.  Ocean's 11.  Godzilla.  Miracle on 34th Street.  Halloween.  The Texas Chain-Saw Massacre.  The King and I.  Annie.  The Manchurian candidate.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_remakes_A-M shows there's no shortage of successful movie remakes out there.  Not by a long shot.  Why can't the same happen with games?  A remake isn't a port.  It isn't like taking a black-and-white movie and technicoloring the whole thing.  Look at the Japanese Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+, and you'll see a remake of Chain of Memories is included.  Look at Super Mario All Stars.  Look at StarFox 64.  That's a remake, and it's a great one.  Several games have awesome potential to be remade.  Take the recent VC release, Sin and Punishment, for example.  Everyone around here is clamoring for a remake of that one to happen.

Kirby's Super Star is an amazing game.  It easily is the best Kirby game, for length, creativity, fun-factor, and innovation.  The rest of the Kirby franchise after this game (with the exception of Dream Land 3 and Canvas Curse), has been abysmal in comparison.  I'll be happy to own a remake of the game, and I hope that it will inspire a true sequel to it that follows up with the same types of Kirby abilities and game modes.  I firmly believe that remakes of classic games should occur more often.  It helps developers understand the original formulas that gamers loved so much.  It keeps games from becoming bland, boring, and redundant.  I'd love a remake of a classic Sonic title, and I think it would help Sega bring the character back to his roots, as well.  Only time will tell, but I have a good feeling about game remakes.

Offline willem_liu

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2007, 10:27:51 PM »
Wireless USB Keyboard is compatible with the Wii since the latest update.
I'm using a Microsoft Wireless Desktop keyboard on the Wii now.

Offline Maximilian

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 14, 2007, 11:30:39 PM »
I just wanted to reply to Icarus' assumption that Nintendo will repair old GameCube controllers.  Sadly, they will not.  I've had a couple of mine wear out and Nintendo was unwilling to do anything about it.  

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2007, 04:14:30 PM »

Once the hockey audience is on the Wii, we'll have a hockey game from EA.

That's a shame there's no hockey game on the Wii the first time around. It begs for it. One possible scheme is to use the Nunchuk for movement, while the Wiimote is held like a hockey stick. Think like Wii Sports tennis, upside down. I'm sure there are other, more viable control schemes that other posters and hockey fans can think of, but the point is, its doable.

If the next installment of Fight Night doesn't make it on the Wii, someone's got to fry. Deep fried.  
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2007, 11:58:05 PM »
Well, the Wii is selling better in Canada than nearly any other territory.

There's a hockey market for it.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 29, 2007, 12:51:52 AM »
Whomever it was looking for a component switch box isn't looking very hard.  They sell the things at Wal*Mart for about $30.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2007, 04:47:32 PM »
In case anyone was wondering about the cheap-o Wii Remotes...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2008, 04:43:23 PM »
Yay, the mailbag is back! good group of questions too.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2008, 04:50:14 PM »
And a HUGE rant by Windy there at the end. Ayayay. Write an editorial already man!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline SkiDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2008, 02:08:13 PM »
Pertaining patents - while I'm not a patent attorney or anything, I believe you are slightly mistaken on how a patent works. If I recall correctly, a patent does not give you the right to produce something, it merely gives you the right to restrict others from producing it. If I am right, this means that your patent CAN in fact "inherit" from a Nintendo patent, as long as it expands upon it in a sufficient way (where "sufficient" should be replaced with some precise legal definitions that I am not too familiar with). If you are granted this patent, you cannot actually produce said product if it is protected by Nintendo's patent, but you CAN stop Nintendo from producing it, and try to get them to license the rights to your product.  

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2008, 03:10:31 PM »
I tried to submit a question and I got a Railo error. CFM FTW!

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2008, 06:41:54 PM »
Regarding the DS's popularity, Nintendo isn't making nearly as many games because the 3rd parties are now making the good games for it.  The Wii does not have that power yet and so Nintendo is dishing out the first party games to keep it going until it gets better 3rd party support.  Once the 3rd parties make better games for the Wii, they will split their time equally between the two.

Regarding the patents, he could just try to get a job with Nintendo and then pitch the idea to them as well.  Might work.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2008, 03:26:33 AM »
I'd recommend the inventor hire a patent attorney.  That stuff can get messy, and only someone who has dedicated a career to working in that system will be able to protect you.