Author Topic: Mario & Sonic at The Olympic Games is the best Sega game since Babar's Quest for Rainbow Socks  (Read 4918 times)

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Got to play this today at the Nintendo Connection Tour. =3 In this thread I'll just retype my gurnal entry with different words. Fellow Aussie NWR'ers Mario and Hybrid Hunter were there too, they can confirm the awesomeness. Wait does Hybrid even post anymore?

It was a very (VERY) early beta version, whenever it crashed to the debug screen it had the build date as March 7, so hmm! Still, it's heaps fun in multiplayer. Ever played the awesome Summer Games from Epyx or Konami's Track & Field? No? Tsk! This captures the same amount of greatness, which is scary, because it's Sega. Only a few events were avaliable, 100 meter dash, hurdles, hop skip jump buttflop thing, long jump, swimming, javelin and fencing. Skeet shooting and hammer toss could be selected, but they'd crash the game. Best!

Controls are simple to learn (well except maybe javelin..), but WILL WEAR YOU THE HELL OUT. It's amazing stuff. Running involves pumping both the Wii controller and nunchuck up and down frantically, swimming mixes in different motions to keep you on your toes (in the water?) It's JUST like the old awesome button mashing Olympic games but with exciting 2007 motion controls! But this is just the running and swimming stuff, I'm PRETTY SURE you won't be having a fit with the controllers for other events. But that would be cool. All your favorite characters are here to play as such as Shadow and that croc from Knuckles Chaotix. The selection screen also had a Mii option, so you'll be able to use them. Seems like you'll be building up their stats in single player, as the default Mii's had NOTHING.

Fencing is outstanding, STAB STAB STAB. The Connection Tour staff kept whinging about everyone playing that event. "IT'LL CRASH THE SYSTEM!" lolololol no. Character animation is hilariously well done (Wario's gut jiggles around when he runs, take THAT Dead or Alive), but the backgrounds really needed work. No shock considering how early the beta is. There were really, really low res 2D sprites of Toad that looped along the side of the track in long jump, and they had some half done 'grass blowing in the wind' effect trying to happen in javelin. But recent videos already show how far it's come.

Shadow winning? Cute touch, Sonic wears a life vest in the swimming events.

FENCING!

Two Sonic's, uh oh! I don't think that was meant to happen.

Bupbow!

Basically, VERY excited about this game. Just saw the GameVideos video (which is a shock in itself considering nothing ever loads from that stinkfest lolol) showing off the 'Dream Events' such as sky diving and running while defeating enemies and WOW. It was really, REALLY fun in four player, it'll be great for multiplayer nights. Single player? Who knows!

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Infernal Monkey
Single player? Who knows!

It has Sonic in it. That means it probably sucks. BOLD PREDICTION I KNOW!

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

Edit: I retract the above.  Clearly it is a joke.

Regardless, Babar kicks ass, and really ought to be a forerunner for a mascot.

I want him in Brawl even.  
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
THIS IS WHY NWR CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Strell
I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

Edit: I retract the above.  Clearly it is a joke.

But he's not joking! ;_;

"The Connection Tour staff kept whinging about everyone playing that event. "IT'LL CRASH THE SYSTEM!" lolololol no."

So YOU were the culprit for the crashes!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
So is the Fencing like Sword Fighting in Red Steel was hoped to be?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
"It's JUST like the old awesome button mashing Olympic games but with exciting 2007 motion controls!"

I hated those old Olympic games.  Oh well.  Good to know.  If you like old school Olympic games you'll like this.  Makes it easy for people to determine if they'll like it or not.

Knowing Sega maybe "CRASHING TEH SYSTEM" will remain in the game.  They'll even put in the manual.  "Oh by the way..."

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
I hated the button mashing, but transferring that to motions, even if it's nearly the same thing, sounds a lot better. This is one I'm keeping my eye on.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Infernal Monkey
(Wario's gut jiggles around when he runs, take THAT Dead or Alive)

Hahaha, wicked, it's good to know that they are putting some humour into the game.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
I'm very excited for this game. Don't know why but it definitely looks like Nintendo's influence reached Sega. The game looks like a lot of fun, the graphics are really nice and controls could be a lot of fun. So far I've heard nothing but good impressions regarding Mario and Sonic. Nintendo and Sega may have a hit on their hands.

I'll still reserve judgment, but everything looks really good so far.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
One of my favorite NES games was an olympics game, so I might get this, but I'm afraid my year budget will only let me get phantom hourglass (I hope to get it tomorrow!) and Galaxy.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Yeah, this is possibly even better than Wii Sports. It's not all just waggling, lots of timing is involved, and stuff like Fencing requires much strategy. I'm buying this instead of Metroid Prime 3.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report

Originally posted by: Mario
Yeah, this is possibly even better than Wii Sports. It's not all just waggling, lots of timing is involved, and stuff like Fencing requires much strategy. I'm buying this instead of Metroid Prime 3.

Good for you! The Prime series is overrated anyway...

And before another fiasco occurs, I AM KIDDING! :p
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
Every Infernal Monkey post wins ever.

I'm someone's excited about this game, and I'm glad it's not me.  I'm merely luke-warm to it.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
You guys can have your jokes now. This game is going to be absolutely massive when it comes out. Even moreso now that Brawls delay has given it the spotlight.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: mantidor
One of my favorite NES games was an olympics game, so I might get this, but I'm afraid my year budget will only let me get phantom hourglass (I hope to get it tomorrow!) and Galaxy.

was it Caveman Games? or Track & Field with the floor pad?
Cause I like both of those when I was younger, and in that order.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
This game is a winner.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1

Originally posted by: mantidor

was it Caveman Games? or Track & Field with the floor pad?
Cause I like both of those when I was younger, and in that order.

All I remember was fencing, swiming and diving and they were very entertaining.

It had a bunch of other sports, besides the obvious like running, I can't remember the others.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Hey Pro, I think you have to buy this game now. Daisy is stretching to get limber for the action

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
I am buying this game.

But I need higher-rez art.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
I always thought it was weird how Daisy has blue eyes. Every piece of jewelry she wears is green!
black fairy tales are better at sports