Author Topic: 98 Days (and Counting) of No Wii Virtual Console  (Read 23390 times)

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Re: 60 Days (And Counting) of No Wii Virtual Console
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 09:48:03 PM »
The achillie's heel of the Virtual Console was always licensing issues and we all knew that it was going to eventually run into that wall one day. The problem is that there are still a plethora of games that Nintend and third parties could release onto the system, but haven't due to either apathy or, again, licensing issues. I mentioned in the past that if some gaming company went back and bought the rights for Acclaim titles and such that the Virtual Console longevity could be exstended.

Yeah, I think the main, though not sole, reason is licensing issues.  It makes you wonder if maybe Nintendo (as well as other publishers) are thinking super-ahead and including some kind of stipulation or clause which guarantees Virtual Console-like releasing rights, maybe even in the event of company dissolution.   Or will our kids, 20 years from now, be complaining about how there are a bunch of Wii titles missing from their VC release list.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 12:20:27 AM »
The achillie's heel of the Virtual Console was always licensing issues and we all knew that it was going to eventually run into that wall one day. The problem is that there are still a plethora of games that Nintend and third parties could release onto the system, but haven't due to either apathy or, again, licensing issues. I mentioned in the past that if some gaming company went back and bought the rights for Acclaim titles and such that the Virtual Console longevity could be exstended.

Yeah, I think the main, though not sole, reason is licensing issues.  It makes you wonder if maybe Nintendo (as well as other publishers) are thinking super-ahead and including some kind of stipulation or clause which guarantees Virtual Console-like releasing rights, maybe even in the event of company dissolution.   Or will our kids, 20 years from now, be complaining about how there are a bunch of Wii titles missing from their VC release list.

As technology grow it is going to become increasingly more common for software emulation to exsist. I am sure that most companies have enough forsight to fututre prrof their games by allowing them to be emulated on whatever consoles that might be on the market in ten or twenty years.

Unless more games can be released for the N64 on Virtual Console then that system as far as emulation goes is eliminated from the service in the fututre, or atleast until Nintendo rerelease them in HD format.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 12:27:32 AM »
Unless more games can be released for the N64 on Virtual Console then that system as far as emulation goes is eliminated from the service in the fututre, or atleast until Nintendo rerelease them in HD format.

Nah, Nintendo won't release those games in HD, not when they're so handy to have around when the 3DS needs software.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 12:38:50 AM »
I have been doing a little research and found that Touchstone pictures, which is a subsidiary of Disney, owns the rights to Acclaim's titles. They were the ones who developed that Turok game for the PS3 and 360 back a few years ago. From what I have read, that game was kind of a mdeiocre let down, so I assume that we will never see another Turok game again. Why can't a game company like Activision or EA aquire the rights to these games? Also, is it even possible for someone to go back and lossen up some of the licensined games and bring them onto modern consoles?

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 01:06:49 AM »
RE2 could probably be brought under 40MB by compressing assets that were indexed outside the main game code, such as MP3 audio and FMV video. This has definitely been done for TurboCD games and also possibly for Ogre Battle 64, which shipped on a 40MB cartridge. (The Virtual Console version would need some nominal space allocation for the customized emulator that Nintendo includes with every game.)
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2011, 01:32:13 AM »
RE2 could probably be brought under 40MB by compressing assets that were indexed outside the main game code, such as MP3 audio and FMV video. This has definitely been done for TurboCD games and also possibly for Ogre Battle 64, which shipped on a 40MB cartridge. (The Virtual Console version would need some nominal space allocation for the customized emulator that Nintendo includes with every game.)

Angel Studios was the game that helped Capcom bring that game over to the N64, and that studio is now part of Rockstar games, so there would have to be a little bit dealing to get that game over to the Virtual Console.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2011, 01:37:33 AM »
The difference is that the Turbo CD games weren't compressed to begin with whereas RE2 was (majorly!) compressed already.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2011, 01:38:50 AM »
RE2 could probably be brought under 40MB by compressing assets that were indexed outside the main game code, such as MP3 audio and FMV video.

The real question, though, is would we really want those assets compressed further considering how obviously compressed they were to begin with?  It's a real technical marvel that Angel Studios was able to get 2 CDs on a cartridge, but the FMV and the audio to some extent really show the strain of the compression already.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2011, 02:57:14 AM »
Curious to know whether Gamecube, Dreamcast and possibly Saturn will appear on the Wii U Virtual Console?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2011, 10:18:11 AM »
I sort of be surprised of Sony, MS, and Nintendo didn't have stipulations in there licensing agreement what will make Virtual Console much easier in the future.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Re: 63 Days (And Counting) of No Wii Virtual Console
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2011, 03:40:41 PM »
Updated 10/27 with
Ecco: Tides of Time
Air Zonk
Paper Mario

63 Days!
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline jglonek

• View Profile
Re: 63 Days (And Counting) of No Wii Virtual Console
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2011, 04:43:13 PM »
I stopped buying Virtual Console games a long time ago. There are tons I want, I just didn't want to spend the money until I found out how Nintendo will handle future consoles/handhelds and iterations of the store.

Not well is the answer, apparently.

Will we be able to transfer our Wii VC sales to the Wii U? Why can't we play purchased Wii VC games on the 3DS? It really should all be one store. Ok, MAYBE there are problems running N64 games on the 3DS. But the NES/SNES games?

I would love it if the Virtual Console was one store where I could buy things and play it on the Wii, Wii U and 3DS. But that's not how Nintendo operates, and probably never will.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: 63 Days (and Counting) of No Wii Virtual Console
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2011, 07:46:55 PM »
Well you can transfer DSiWare from a DSi to a 3DS, so that's a good sign for the future. I think Nintendo just regards handhelds and consoles as separate entities, so we're not likely to see crossover support between them, but I think it's almost certain that Wii VC and WiiWare will be able to be transferred to a Wii U.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Re: 63 Days (and Counting) of No Wii Virtual Console
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2011, 04:10:44 PM »
Another week, no VC, 7 more games.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
Re: 70 Days (and Counting) of No Wii Virtual Console
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2011, 04:14:43 PM »
We should start the funeral arrangements for Virtual Console.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 04:16:46 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2011, 03:44:54 AM »
On a level of 1 to 10, how realistic is it to expect Wii VC games to carry over to Wii U?

I hope they don't start from 0 again on Wii U like they did for 3DS. I was half-expecting the 3DS have have access to the same library as Wii, but then I realised this was Nintendo with their "you like the game? buy it 5 times then!" attitude...
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2011, 10:31:15 AM »
I think it'll carry over. Home console and handhelds are separate in Nintendo's eyes. It sucks a bit, but it's unfortunately true.

I mean, DSiWare carried over to 3DS. I think WiiWare/VC will carry over to Wii U in a similar manner. So, it'll take a long time and feature Pikmin carrying your **** over.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2011, 03:31:23 PM »
Maybe we'll get Bigger Pikmin.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2011, 05:35:07 PM »
How about all of Nintendo's mascots carrying it over to the Wii U?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2011, 09:01:27 PM »
the only bought 4 or 5 VC games, so i dont feel i made a huge investment for VC games. I'd rather Nintendo be releasing real games then spending its time on VC games. I dont care if its on Wii or Wii U, I had my fun with Wii, while it was in its initial release it was super awesome. I can still pop in wii sports for some casual fun. I'm kinda glad I didn't spend loads of money on virtual games. I have no idea if Nintendo will let you re-download the game or how thats going to work. I'm sure it pains Nintendo too to not be re-releasing games, i'm sure they made a boatload of money doing it. I think this pause in releasing games will be a good thing. I think they may significantly lower the prices of the games for Wii U, simply to compete with iPhone type game. The best way to prevent an outlash is to not make it so sudden, on the other hand if you can now get games for $1 you could buy 400 games to make up for the 50 games you bought for $400 on wii.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: 77 Days (and Counting) of No Wii Virtual Console
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2011, 11:53:05 PM »
I could have sworn that was confirmed last week (I remember seeing something about it on IGN Daily Fix).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2011, 12:38:00 AM »
I'll believe it when I see it...
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2011, 12:53:19 AM »

...and now, you have transcended to true Nintendo fandom....  Welcome, brother.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2011, 01:26:08 AM »
I could have sworn that was confirmed last week (I remember seeing something about it on IGN Daily Fix).

True. But since I largely only frequent NWR anymore I didn't know until now.  I didn't see anything about it on the front page so I thought it was worth sharing.  After all, since people were literally counting the days, you'd think they'd be thrilled over news like this!

...and now, you have transcended to true Nintendo fandom....  Welcome, brother.

haha, that's one way to look at it!