Author Topic: Streetpass me!  (Read 6756 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Streetpass me!
« on: August 09, 2013, 12:21:21 PM »
I'm not technically inclined enough to actually walk anyone through how to do this (nor do I have the patience, due to the vast array of programs and hardware configs that could make this), but...

Change your WiFi router's SSID to 'noasp01'
Spoof your router's MAC address to 00:26:37:BD:39:42
Put your 3DS in sleep mode and soon, you'll get a hit, either from me or from whomever just did it before you.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: Streetpass me!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 01:56:49 PM »
Woah you can do that?

Offline Gwellin

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • It's a Secret to Everybody
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 08:14:36 PM »
Well, that is certainly effective.

Yes, this is very possible, and surprisingly simple, once you get the custom firmware installed. I'm using an old otherwise unused router going through my main one, so that I won't mess anything up.

I followed the info in this Reddit topic. You can check your router's compatibility with one of the firmware methods at this list.

Apologies to UncleBob, but I will be sticking to the attwifi SSID, because of the ease of changing MAC Addresses to get 10 StreetPasses in 20 minutes.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 08:34:11 PM »
I followed the info in this Reddit topic. You can check your router's compatibility with one of the firmware methods at this list.

Only 1 Dynex router is supported? Ugh. And it's not even the one I have. I'm not buying a new router just to get extra StreetPasses.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 09:02:57 PM »
Seems like it would be easier to do this using Wi-Fi Tether on Android with the MAC address spoof option.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 09:15:04 PM »
wouldn't it be better to change the ssid to bestbuy for animal crossing dlc?

Offline Gwellin

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • It's a Secret to Everybody
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 09:21:11 PM »
Seems like it would be easier to do this using Wi-Fi Tether on Android with the MAC address spoof option.
I would agree, if I had an Android. I did however have an old compatible router that was being troublesome and headed for the trash anyway. The custom firmware install was a little complicated, but things are dead simple after passing that step.

Both the SSID and MAC Address need to match for it to work. I don't know whether these work for BestBuy specific stuff. I don't have Animal Crossing to test it.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 09:23:02 PM »
No, the current Animal Crossing items aren't limited to just Best Buy and don't need the MAC address spoofing.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 09:25:51 PM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 09:34:25 PM »

This, so long as you've rooted your phone.  I'm not sure if there's an app that lets you spoof your MAC without root (if so, I haven't found it).

I'm currently somewhat working with someone to create a super-cheap box with a WiFi dongle as a hot-spot and a script running that changes the SSID/Spoofed MAC address every few minutes. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 07:39:34 PM »
Why don't you just do it the normal way, go to shopping centre's,schools,game shops,libarys,etc.
Your're bound to find someone!maybe...
Made you look ****.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 09:20:57 PM »
I don't have the capabilities of doing this meself, but I heard about it elsewhere and it's pretty cool. I wonder if in the future they could figure out other ways to get it to work...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 12:16:50 AM »

This, so long as you've rooted your phone.  I'm not sure if there's an app that lets you spoof your MAC without root (if so, I haven't found it).

I'm currently somewhat working with someone to create a super-cheap box with a WiFi dongle as a hot-spot and a script running that changes the SSID/Spoofed MAC address every few minutes. :D

So, I picked up a cheap router on eBay that I could DD-WRT flash.  Works like a charm - I've gotten so many puzzle pieces in the past ten minutes.

Now, I just have to get my friend to rig it up with a script that changes the MAC every few minutes or so. :D

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 01:17:16 AM »
I actually did this and used the neogafs one for awhile.  It seems like there is almost no one still using it though, or at least the one I was using.    Was nice cause outside of doing this, I have only ever gotten 2 street passes since launch day.

I felt kinda like I was cheating the system, but in reality I wasn't going to get streetpasses where I live.   Most of the places I go are not exactly full of technology.   It was pretty nice though to finally get some puzzle pieces and even play the new streetpass games for a few weeks/months.