Author Topic: Nintendo Explains European Brawl Delay  (Read 16992 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Explains European Brawl Delay
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2008, 03:59:57 AM »
So, Europe... how's that "one unified language" thing going?
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2008, 04:04:45 AM »

MAKE ENLISH THE OFICAL LANGUEGE
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2008, 04:12:33 AM »
Really, any choice but English or Japanese would still involve big delays because even if it's just one language Nintendo doesn't care enough to translate again into pig-Latin or whatever you choose at any good speed.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2008, 09:19:04 AM »

We'll go with a majority vote. Müssen wir nur noch die Franzosen platt machen und das hat sich.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2008, 10:01:57 AM »

We'll go with a majority vote. Müssen wir nur noch die Franzosen platt machen und das hat sich.

Quote from: Babelfish
"We must make only the Frenchmen flat and that have ourselves."

That definitely settles the matter. :)
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2008, 10:23:47 AM »
What? A mile is longer than a km. Pretty sure it's 1.6km to the mile.

Yep, might want to check your measurements Plugz.

OOPS.

Offline ATimson

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2008, 12:29:59 PM »
What makes no sense to me is that NOE doesn't even make games. There is the rare exception for NOA, but NOE has nothing. There shouldn't be any employees there other than corporate heads and translators. They have no excuse to not get Nintendo's own games out quicker.
They can't translate what they aren't given to translate, though. If NCL doesn't give them any assets...
Grr. Argh.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2008, 05:02:05 PM »
I doubt NCL tells NOE "no you can't have that, we'll give it to you months after the US release".

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2008, 05:06:41 PM »
Sounds illogical and arrogant enough for Nintendo to do it. ;)

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2008, 08:15:32 PM »
You'd think that Nintendo would want to treat Europe well considering the huge markup in prices over there, they most likely make more money per game in Europe than in America or Japan.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2008, 08:20:50 AM »
You'd think that Nintendo would want to treat Europe well considering the huge markup in prices over there, they most likely make more money per game in Europe than in America or Japan.

It's not a huge markup. It's subsidy money! We subsidise YOU.

Oh well, i managed to get Geometry Wars Wii for £5 new, so its not that hard if you don't wander into GAME and buy GTA IV for £45/$90.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2008, 01:33:51 PM »
Be happy, GTA4 is 70 Euros here, that's 110 dollars. So much for the UK getting shafted. Gerometry Wars Wii is down to 20 Euros but still not five pounds.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2008, 03:10:32 PM »
Just out of curiosity, how much of that is tax?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2008, 03:33:29 PM »
Tax is 19% on top of the base price so 17.5 US dollars (11 Euros) out of the 110 (70), base price 92.5 USD (59 EUR). Well, at least in Germany, in the UK its 17.5% tax IIRC.

Offline ATimson

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2008, 03:40:35 PM »
Tax is 19% on top of the base price so 17.5 US dollars (11 Euros) out of the 110 (70), base price 92.5 USD (59 EUR). Well, at least in Germany, in the UK its 17.5% tax IIRC.
Wow. I know the extra translation/debugging costs some money, but I sure as hell doubt it's worth an 80% markup!

I assume that your DS carts are manufactured in Japan, same as North American ones. Where are your Wii games made, though? (At least with ours, it says on the back, usually right by the UPC.) If they have to ship them in from elsewhere, that could explain some of that...

I also wonder what percentage your retailers are making on games. IIRC, in the US they only have about a 10% margin on games; are European retailers making more money, closer to the 40-50% margin other industries (like bookstores) see in the US?
Grr. Argh.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2008, 03:40:48 PM »
19%??!

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2008, 03:58:21 PM »
To be fair, that example was an Xbox 360 game so it's more of a 50% markup. Last gen games went for 60 Euros, this gen about half the Wii games are 50 (79$, including 12.5$ tax) the other half 60 (95$, including 15$ tax). DS games are 40 Euros (63$, including 10$ tax) for the full price ones, 30 Euros (47$, 7.5$ tax) for the budget ones (the ones that are announced as 20$ in the US AFAIK).

I know they assemble the Wii boxes in Europe so if they ship something it's probably just the discs which really shouldn't cost much. "Made in Japan".

Margins are most likely tiny if we go by the likelyhood of store-initiated pricedrops (near zero), some stores charge up to 5 Euros less per game and some go up to 3 Euros over the MSRP (up to 5 for Wii points cards which are never below 20 Euros and frequently above). We never get things like those "buy two, get one free" deals I hear about in the Amazing Deals thread. Getting a blanket discount of 20% on all videogames is close to a miracle (I've seen it as very short time promotions that ran 2-3 days and once for a store that was going out of business). Non-PC games are less likely to go into the bargain bin and especially games for Nintendo systems almost never drop in price (with a few exceptions you usually see these stay at full price until they disappear). I'd wager that as a result strongly budget limited but not well informed customers (e.g. kids) will get a disproportionate amount of crap on Nintendo systems (the first bargain bin titles on the Wii were Barnyard and Spongebob IIRC).

Offline ATimson

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2008, 06:40:55 PM »
Non-PC games are less likely to go into the bargain bin and especially games for Nintendo systems almost never drop in price (with a few exceptions you usually see these stay at full price until they disappear).
Same thing happens with Nintendo's games here; third parties usually end up dropping prices eventually, though.

All I can say is, I don't envy European consumers; I'm willing to put up with being hated by the rest of the world if it means I get twice as much game for my money. ;)
Grr. Argh.