Author Topic: Nintendo Planning 3DS Successor, Not Revision  (Read 11241 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Planning 3DS Successor, Not Revision
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 11:30:30 AM »
Nintendo wouldn't tell us if they were working on a 3DS Revision because they don't want to sabotage sales of the existing unit, but I hope they do put out a revision with the Circle Pad Pro.  Playing games on my Vita with both sticks, I can't imagine going back to only one with the 3DS (and the 3DS is starting to get games that entice me to actually get one).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 11:50:54 AM »
If their games are entincing you, the lack of a second analog shouldn't matter. The games play fine without it. The reason why the Vita (and by extension, the PSP) can't just use one is because Sony keeps trying to make console gaming on their handhelds. You know what's a big thing with consoles? Dual analog sticks. At least Nintendo makes a different experience with their games.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 11:56:40 AM »
If their games are entincing you, the lack of a second analog shouldn't matter. The games play fine without it. The reason why the Vita (and by extension, the PSP) can't just use one is because Sony keeps trying to make console gaming on their handhelds. You know what's a big thing with consoles? Dual analog sticks. At least Nintendo makes a different experience with their games.

You know that the PSP only had one analog nub, right, and that that nub made for some less-than-comfortable gaming, right?  A large part of my decision behind getting a Vita was to play my PSP games with a proper right analog stick for camera control (which has been quite nice, by the way).

The 3DS is getting there with software that interests me, but right now I'm only at 3 designed-for-3DS games that interest me: Castlevania - Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate; Resident Evil Revelations (which does have CPP support); and Kingdom Hearts DDD.  The handheld will need more than that before it entices me enough to forget how much I really disliked playing 3D games with only one nub on the PSP.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2012, 12:34:08 PM »
You know that the PSP only had one analog nub, right, and that that nub made for some less-than-comfortable gaming, right?

To be fair, the PSP didn't have a touchscreen or gyrometers or whatever either. I think Oblivion was trying to make the same point that Miyamoto was that "when you have that other stuff you don't need dual analog".

I don't agree with that, though. I like dual analog and I agree with you it should be integrated into the handheld by default. If developers don't want to use it that's perfectly fine. Nintendo isn't going to force them. But having it there as an option does no harm to anyone, and I think it will be needed for when the 3DS is going to start being promoted as a fill in for the U tablet. Because the U tablet has dual analog, so for the 3DS to be able to fill in for that role it needs it as well. That's the one reason why I'm confident this WILL happen, regardless of what Miyamoto is saying.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 12:35:51 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 01:27:10 PM »

You know that the PSP only had one analog nub, right, and that that nub made for some less-than-comfortable gaming, right?  A large part of my decision behind getting a Vita was to play my PSP games with a proper right analog stick for camera control (which has been quite nice, by the way).

The 3DS is getting there with software that interests me, but right now I'm only at 3 designed-for-3DS games that interest me: Castlevania - Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate; Resident Evil Revelations (which does have CPP support); and Kingdom Hearts DDD.  The handheld will need more than that before it entices me enough to forget how much I really disliked playing 3D games with only one nub on the PSP.

I was always under the impression that it was the nub itself that made it uncomfortable. If they had added a second one, it'd still be uncomfortable.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2012, 04:31:04 PM »
My thoughts:

1. I don't think we'll see a 3DS revision for a while.  I think Nintendo started to get a reputation with the DS and I think they want to end that.  After all, when the 3DS launched, many people didn't buy it because they thought "I'll just hold out for the redesign."  I think a fair number of people are still doing that actually.

2. Of course they are working on the 3DS successor.  Everyone knows every company begins working on the next hardware the day the previous hardware ships..... perhaps earlier! =P

3. I'm still hoping for a 3DS XL someday and I think that EVENTUALLY we'll see it.  The DSiXL is just a dream of a platform.  If I am going to be in the house and playing a DS game, I still play them on my XL because it's just so enjoyable.

My wife is actually also eagerly awaiting a 3DS XL to be released because that means she gets my original 3DS! ... probably. ;-)

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2012, 04:33:33 PM »
I hate the DSiXL. Hate it. It blows the screen up so much that sprite quality takes a nosedive and 3D polygons get all fuzzy.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2012, 08:29:24 PM »
Hey everybody, remember when Nintendo said they weren't working on a revision for the DS, and then like a week later announced the DS Lite? They will deny the existence of a revision, which we all know is inevitable, right up until the point they announce it. Calm the **** down.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2012, 11:26:47 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if they denied it after it was announced. ;)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2012, 01:07:21 AM »
Calm the **** down.

Was that really necessary? Or even unhypocritical?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2012, 01:11:07 AM »
Necessary, maybe not. Unhypocritical, definitely, because I was perfectly calm at the time.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2012, 01:29:23 AM »
Hey everybody, remember when Nintendo said they weren't working on a revision for the DS, and then like a week later announced the DS Lite? They will deny the existence of a revision, which we all know is inevitable, right up until the point they announce it.

That's what I've been saying all along. Miyamoto is denying it because he was asked a direct question and any other response (even if he just evaded the question or was silent) would have been interpreted as a confirmation, so denying it was his only option, even though its a lie.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 10:17:10 AM »
That was just some guy at Nintendo of Europe who said no revision was coming, Nintendo is not known for telling their regional branches everything they are doing. I wouldn't be shocked if the NOE guy didn't know about the DS Lite when he said that.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Automaton

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2012, 01:42:53 AM »
OH HO HO. Well, S'up on this new 3DS XL ya know it!