Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros. 2  (Read 38826 times)

Offline LOZman

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: New Super Mario Bros. 2
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 09:07:08 PM »
Maybe I exaggerated a bit. If I am given the choice, I always choose retail, but I sometimes also play download-only games.

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 10:12:11 PM »
Agree with original poster. No online multiplayer means no need to buy this Day 1. I am getting really annoyed out Nintendo says one minute they understand online gaming now, then do with this with just about all of their first party games.

Hey Nintendo, you need online multiplayer for games like this. Otherwise, I'm going to wait to buy the game until it goes on sale. It's your money lost.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 10:07:56 AM »
Otherwise, I'm going to wait to buy the game until it goes on sale. It's your money lost.

Then you may never get the game because even NSMB on DS is still $34.99. Frankly, I think you not playing the game hurts you more than Nintendo losing one sale. Online play would have been nice, but you don't buy a Maio platformer to play online, you buy it because they are usually good games.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 10:15:06 AM »
If you hold out for a sale, TRU often runs various BOGO sales that would help bring the cost down.  Not to mention a used purchase.

But I have to agree with him - if something about a game is inexcusable to you, then you shouldn't buy it.  One lost sale may not make much of a difference to Nintendo, but buying the game sure isn't going to do much to show them your displeasure either. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline neptunepirate

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 11:04:38 AM »
I am excited about everything on this game. It's nice to see Nintendo having the option to download games digitally, but I will always buy my games at retail if I have the option to do so. I like having a physical copy of something that I pay for.
Leon has a flashlight on his belt.
I tried to bring sexy back, but I forgot the receipt.
http://www.heroesofruin.com/profile/NeptunePirate

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2012, 07:55:08 PM »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2012, 08:03:20 PM »
It could be true, or photoshopped. As far as I'm concerned it's fake. Nintendo's assets depo still have the "no Wario" boxart...

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2012, 08:07:49 PM »
Yeah it is photoshopped from another Wario game. False alarm.

RomanceDawn

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2012, 08:15:46 PM »
It would make sense to have Wario in this game because of all the coin collecting.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2012, 02:11:39 AM »
That got mentioned on an episode of RFN that I only recently listened to. Having Wario as a boss would be great.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2012, 08:51:57 PM »
Still deciding if I'll be picking this up or not. I need to know there is some purpose to the coin collecting other then the sake of just doing it. The rush mode is worthless to me because I hardly ever get any street passes. I complete the puzzles and Find Mii by using play coins. If there is nothing more to the game then I'm not going to bother with it.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2012, 05:15:11 PM »
Still deciding if I'll be picking this up or not. I need to know there is some purpose to the coin collecting other then the sake of just doing it. The rush mode is worthless to me because I hardly ever get any street passes. I complete the puzzles and Find Mii by using play coins. If there is nothing more to the game then I'm not going to bother with it.

Well the DLC levels are worth it for me. Anything to extend the game's replay value is great.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2012, 01:22:50 PM »

RomanceDawn

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2012, 03:50:11 PM »

I'm kinda feeling the same. This might be the first mainline Mario game that I don't pick up at launch. Collecting coins is one of the least interesting things to me in Mario games, so a focus on that particular element isn't really a draw for me personally. That, and the fact that I've found the previous two NSMB games to be somewhat bland. Fun enough, but bland. I'll see how I feel come launch, but presently I'm not feeling it.

Gouge away.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2012, 12:34:18 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=For2R1BkQJc&feature=player_embedded

Did we see this yet?

With all those coins, what's the point of 1-Ups? It will be impossible to fail at this game. Nintendo better have an ultra-difficult Special World (like in The Lost Levels, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Super Mario World).

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2012, 12:46:41 PM »

Did we see this yet?

With all those coins, what's the point of 1-Ups? It will be impossible to fail at this game. Nintendo better have an ultra-difficult Special World (like in The Lost Levels, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Super Mario World).

Well its not about game overs its just about dying period. Lives really mean nothing aside from restarting at a check point. if you have a million lives or one it makes no difference.

RomanceDawn

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2012, 09:06:18 PM »

Did we see this yet?

Well its not about game overs its just about dying period. Lives really mean nothing aside from restarting at a check point. if you have a million lives or one it makes no difference.

Back when games didn't have save capabilities, losing all your lives meant having to restart from the beginning of the world you were in (Super Mario Bros. 3), in other cases the entire game would reset (Super Mario Bros. 1, Super Mario Bros. 2).

I liked the way Super Mario World did it's save function, where you could only save after beating a castle or ghost house.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2012, 10:36:26 PM »
I think it's fairly archaic that the Mario games still use counted lives. I get that it's mostly out of tradition, but most modern platformers like Rayman Origins or Super Meat Boy just let you try over as many times as you like and save whenever you want, and I think that's definitely the way to go. The old way's born out of arcade roots of trying to suck quarters out of people and the relative trouble of including save features, neither of which are relevant today.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2012, 07:40:11 PM »
I think it's fairly archaic that the Mario games still use counted lives. I get that it's mostly out of tradition, but most modern platformers like Rayman Origins or Super Meat Boy just let you try over as many times as you like and save whenever you want, and I think that's definitely the way to go. The old way's born out of arcade roots of trying to suck quarters out of people and the relative trouble of including save features, neither of which are relevant today.

Save features aren't relevant? Since when? I was glad when games got rid of the pointless password feature, now that was tedious and archaic.

And having "unlimited lives", multiple checkpoints, and "save whenever" features makes dying inconsequential. I want to be challenged while playing a game. Ratchet & Clank has unlimited lives as well, and that makes the games boring since there isn't any punishment for dying.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 07:43:39 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2012, 08:10:55 PM »
As you highlighted, I didn't say that save features weren't relevant, I said that the trouble of including a save feature was no longer relevant. With modern hardware including onboard memory to store save files, it's no trouble at all to save whatever you want to save. Back in the 80s, though, it was a lot more of a hassle for developers to include save features, which was my point.

And having "unlimited lives", multiple checkpoints, and "save whenever" features makes dying inconsequential. I want to be challenged while playing a game. Ratchet & Clank has unlimited lives as well, and that makes the games boring since there isn't any punishment for dying.

Having unlimited lives doesn't have to make a game easier. I mentioned Super Meat Boy in the post you quoted, and that game gets insanely hard. It doesn't make the game easier if developers don't want it to, but it does remove pointless frustration.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2012, 08:16:24 PM »
As you highlighted, I didn't say that save features weren't relevant, I said that the trouble of including a save feature was no longer relevant. With modern hardware including onboard memory to store save files, it's no trouble at all to save whatever you want to save. Back in the 80s, though, it was a lot more of a hassle for developers to include save features, which was my point.

Having unlimited lives doesn't have to make a game easier. I mentioned Super Meat Boy in the post you quoted, and that game gets insanely hard. It doesn't make the game easier if developers don't want it to, but it does remove pointless frustration.

I see your point.

Back on topic:
I've been watching some footage of NSMB2, and I think the remixed music is terrible. Nintendo put the "bah's" EVERYWHERE in the main theme. They aren't just backing vocals anymore. Now practically every note has that annoying "bah" sound.

"Bah bah bah-bah, bah bah bah-bah
Bah bah bah-bah, bah bah bah-bah"

It's that bad. And it sounds even worse once you activate a Gold Ring (the item that turns enemies into gold).

Offline DonnyKD

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2012, 02:09:13 AM »

I see your point.

Back on topic:
I've been watching some footage of NSMB2, and I think the remixed music is terrible. Nintendo put the "bah's" EVERYWHERE in the main theme. They aren't just backing vocals anymore. Now practically every note has that annoying "bah" sound.

It's that bad. And it sounds even worse once you activate a Gold Ring (the item that turns enemies into gold).

Love how you forgot to mention that those "Bah" sounds, are CHORUS lyrics.

It's SINGING, not "bah-bah" as you so mistakenly assume.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2012, 09:46:16 PM »

I see your point.

Back on topic:

Listen to the overworld theme in New Super Mario Bros. DS and NSMB Wii.

Next watch some gameplay footage of NSMB 2. Notice the overabundance of "bah's" that are in every single note?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 09:47:48 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline DonnyKD

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2012, 12:21:04 AM »

I see your point.

Back on topic:

Listen to the overworld theme in New Super Mario Bros. DS and NSMB Wii.

Next watch some gameplay footage of NSMB 2. Notice the overabundance of "bah's" that are in every single note?

Wow, you have poor hearing skills.

It's freaking easy to tell the difference between the "bah-bahs" and the "la-la-las" in NSMB2's Overworld theme. Get an ear cleaner, get the wax out of your ears, listen to the music, then come back to me.

The "bah-bahs" are in the same place they always were in the music, and the choir actually drown those out.

TVTropes actually calls the la-las a Cherubic Choir, which basically amounts to children singing to give an encouraging and positive feel.

Here, listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfiVvG4bJlE&feature=plcp
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 12:28:08 AM by DonnyKD »

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2012, 06:39:39 PM »
Wow, you have poor hearing skills.

It's freaking easy to tell the difference between the "bah-bahs" and the "la-la-las" in NSMB2's Overworld theme. Get an ear cleaner, get the wax out of your ears, listen to the music, then come back to me.

The "bah-bahs" are in the same place they always were in the music, and the choir actually drown those out.

TVTropes actually calls the la-las a Cherubic Choir, which basically amounts to children singing to give an encouraging and positive feel.

Here, listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfiVvG4bJlE&feature=plcp

It doesn't matter what you call it, it's still annoying as f.u.c.k.

And insulting people on the internet won't get you anywhere.